HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 3:44 PM
BANNED

That is sad. They have been around for so long.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
That is sad. They have been around for so long.
The result of Lowes takeover of Rona no doubt. Remember what happened to middle management at Tims? Wait for it at Bell MTS. People never learn.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 7:31 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Land Development Manager for an engineering firm.....those informative services are available for hire!
On that note, are you or anyone know of a structural engineer for homes? I own an old home and would like a professional to look at the floor joists and support beams. I'm a bit concerned about the weight of a sliding door that "cantilevers" (best description I could think of ) about 2 feet from the house.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg health products and nutrition supplement manufacturer sees staggering year-over-year growth

https://www.tourismwinnipeg.com/news...pe-for-success

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Winnipeg health products and nutrition supplement manufacturer sees staggering year-over-year growth
#gains

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
#gains
Shit

Well played.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:26 AM
BANNED

iQMetrix (located in Centrepoint) is doubling its workforce. Great news!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:36 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
That means the 100,000 sq ft office portion of the CentrePoint development is fully leased.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:
and it's space in the Centrepoint building!-

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:36 PM

Not sure if anyone here follows the WHL, but yesterday the Kootenay Ice were sold to a Winnipeg businessman, the guy that owns the "24/7 In Touch". And the new President / GM of the club (based in Cranbrook BC) is a former executive with True North who is moving out there. My prediction is that is short term (1-3 years) then a relocation to our fine province.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Not sure if anyone here follows the WHL, but yesterday the Kootenay Ice were sold to a Winnipeg businessman, the guy that owns the "24/7 In Touch". And the new President / GM of the club (based in Cranbrook BC) is a former executive with True North who is moving out there. My prediction is that is short term (1-3 years) then a relocation to our fine province.
I heard about that and was wondering myself about what the Winnipeg connection meant. But why would TNSE want to replace the Moose with a WHL team? What would be a more appealing locale for the Moose than here? The AHL seems to be working out fairly well here... but then, I guess if someone made an offer that couldn't be refused for the Moose, having a junior team would be a good way for them to fill the gap.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:01 PM

I wonder if another town such as Steinbach or Winkler could support a WHL team. Both of those towns are around the same size as Cranbrook I believe. Not sure why you would move it though.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
I wonder if another town such as Steinbach or Winkler could support a WHL team. Both of those towns are around the same size as Cranbrook I believe. Not sure why you would move it though.
Steinbach is only about what, 15,000? That seems very small for a WHL city, definitely puts it at the lower end with Swift Current, although Steinbach is close enough to the city that it could draw a decent number of Winnipeg fans which is something that would be unlikely in Morden/Winkler.

Until I heard otherwise, I'd assume that if the Ice moved to Manitoba, that they'd be headed for Winnipeg. But I thought the WHL didn't want to move any more teams into Manitoba?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Until I heard otherwise, I'd assume that if the Ice moved to Manitoba, that they'd be headed for Winnipeg. But I thought the WHL didn't want to move any more teams into Manitoba?
Where would they play? I can't see TNSE giving them space in MTS Centre. It's already difficult to schedule the two teams that are there, and limits their ability to bring in concerts, not to mention the added competition. TNSE would likely make as much money from one successful concert as they would from 20 WHL games, given that they don't own the team and there are really no synergies with the team they own.

Is there another arena in the city that is suitable?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Where would they play? I can't see TNSE giving them space in MTS Centre. It's already difficult to schedule the two teams that are there, and limits their ability to bring in concerts, not to mention the added competition. TNSE would likely make as much money from one successful concert as they would from 20 WHL games, given that they don't own the team and there are really no synergies with the team they own.

Is there another arena in the city that is suitable?
Fair enough, I figured that moving the Ice to Winnipeg would be done in concert with TNSE, but I guess it's unlikely to happen with someone else as owner mainly for a reason you touched on: lack of venue.

I suppose the only way I could really see it happening is if the Red River Ex built one. But it's a very expensive proposition now... as recently as the early 90s you could have built a fairly modest barn to house a WHL team, but even a WHL rink is big bucks now. Moose Jaw's new venue cost over $60 million for only 4,500 seats.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:39 PM

i can't see any town having the population to sustain it in MB, but Winnipeg. need an average attendance of 4k. I attended a Regina Pats game recently and they are much different than 10 years ago. Full entertainment value, the flashing lights, big screen, promotions, basically the exact same as the Moose. Perhaps add a few thousand seats to one of the IcePlex rinks?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:43 PM

When we say no town in Manitoba can support it except Winnipeg, I assume we're excluding Brandon since they already have a tem, right? haha

Jokes aside, I could only see it going in a new rink somewhere in the City, like the Ex thing that's been proposed a few times. Maybe TNSE further expands, or builds a new, at the IcePlex site.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 7:47 PM

If I lived in Steinbach, and had nothing to do, ever, I'd go to every game. 4k others would agree.

In Winnipeg, we're that bad sweet spot where we don't have a huge market but there are easily enough things to get distracted by.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:36 PM

Be aware that the rm of Hannover has another 18000. The south east is the fastest growing region in the province. I question that a who team in Steinbach would be able to draw from Loretta and Niverville. Perhaps bill them as the Southeast Ice or something similar. What is needed is a large enough arena.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 9:45 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Be aware that the rm of Hannover has another 18000. The south east is the fastest growing region in the province. I question that a who team in Steinbach would be able to draw from Loretta and Niverville. Perhaps bill them as the Southeast Ice or something similar. What is needed is a large enough arena.
Isn't there an arena in the works?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan