HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Commercial building in Kildonan Place parking lot going up in front of Sears is a Qdoba!
No it's a mastermind toys... announced along time ago.

https://www.google.ca/amp/globalnews...-winnipeg/amp/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post
No it's a mastermind toys... announced along time ago.

https://www.google.ca/amp/globalnews...-winnipeg/amp/

Jeff Browaty
Yesterday at 10:08pm · Winnipeg, MB
Plan approval at Community Committee tonight shows a new small free-standing commercial unit @KildonanPlace. Only named tenant of ~3 is a Qdoba.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:09 AM

I think they mean the commercial building in front of the old Target (not Sears) Location will be a Qdoba.

From the City Clerk Agenda, the building will be a 5,636 sq ft building (3,200 sq ft. commercial and 2,400 sq ft. restaurant)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:33 PM

Sears (USA) actually issued an investors warning this morning before the market opened that they are a serious risk of not being able to remain in operation.

Separately, Sears Canada today started rolling out their off-price substore called The Cut. That will take 30,000 to 40,000 sq ft in existing stores.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Jeff Browaty
Yesterday at 10:08pm · Winnipeg, MB
Plan approval at Community Committee tonight shows a new small free-standing commercial unit @KildonanPlace. Only named tenant of ~3 is a Qdoba.
That's in front of old target, not sears....

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:11 PM

Sears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Sears (USA) actually issued an investors warning this morning before the market opened that they are a serious risk of not being able to remain in operation.

Separately, Sears Canada today started rolling out their off-price substore called The Cut. That will take 30,000 to 40,000 sq ft in existing stores.
Personally, I would like to see Sears fail making room for Simons and Nordstrom here.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:12 PM

^ Hardly a given that they would set up here, particularly Nordstrom.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:26 PM
Heart of the Continent

I like Sears - I'd be really sad to see them go.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laumag View Post
Personally, I would like to see Sears fail making room for Simons and Nordstrom here.
If Sears fails Polo wins and KP is going to be really hard hit. Sure Simons and maybe Nordstroms come to Winnipeg in place of Sears but neither ends up at KP and they will spend a long time trying to fill that space. It could also mark the end of the mall having any anchor, down from the original three. In terms of what losing an anchor could mean look at Garden City and how it has limped along since Eaton's pulled out.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Sears has great men's clothes. I shop there all the time.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:00 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I agree. It is a good store for the majority of the population.

From a non shopper.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Sears has great men's clothes. I shop there all the time.
I tried for years to shop there for men's clothing. Considering most of the time merchandise is mostly thrown into random piles of shelves and the overall organization is worse that most off price retailers such as Winners yet they charge full price for stuff I gave up long ago. It is somewhat interesting to see Sears Canada is going to embrace to messiness of the stores in lean hard into the whole off price segment of the market rather than trying to deal with the issues.

In terms of the non-off price side, except big changes to come even to men's clothing as the other part of the off-price announcement was that outside the new off-price department they are starting all the normal parts of the store will be going exclusively private label so no Levi's or other large name brand merchandise going forward.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Considering most of the time merchandise is mostly thrown into random piles of shelves and the overall organization is worse that most off price retailers such as Winners yet they charge full price for stuff I gave up long ago.
I'm not sure what the other stores are like, but the St. Vital and Polo Park locations are generally not bad. Sears is not really to the same level of, say, The Bay in terms of overall organization, but I'm not sure I'd throw it in the same category as Winners.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:40 PM
BANNED

The public has a lot to do with this. If people would have more respect, sales associates could keep up with the misplacement of garments, etc.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There's been lots of analyzing on this now, and many studies have found a direct correlation between brick-and-mortar success and online operations. Simply put - stores that have a great, robust online shop are doing significantly better in the flesh than chains that don't have a good online store, or one at all.

It creates good brand trust and recognition, and give people flexibility. Lots of people may want to go try some things on, then buy them online. Or, need to do an exchange of something they bought online. When e-commerce first started booming, people thought the shop-instore/buy-online folks would be the death, but that's just not happening. People actually spend more money on average online than in stores.

It means bricks-and-mortar can have less staff on shift, and expand their online staff. Running an online retail operation is a staggeringly immense job. Takes a ton of people. Because shoppers have more access, they need many more customer service people on, where before it was just the people who happened to physically come to the store.

I've said it before, buy I think HBC's online operation, and how early the company jumped on board, is the single reason why they're booming right now, and why they avoided the current fate of many other major department stores. Their online shopping experience is near perfect.
Agreed. One of the best companies to follow that model is Memory Express - still beats out some giants like Newegg and Amazon because of the flexibility, robust online operations and well maintained locations in most major cities.

I had no idea HBC was doing well at all let alone online. I may have to consider ordering online there (or at least shopping and buying if its a good deal / item). There online store looks good but wasn't sure if ordering process was smooth / modern. Even some newer more modern companies have kind of sketchy and or out of date checkout processes and shipping options.

(American Apparels was horrible, which looking at their gradual collapse makes sense. H&M's checkout is woefully out of date and unclear. American Eagle's took way too long)*

I go to the downtown location a lot and while it does seem fairly well maintained (most of the time the items are where I expect them to be) it does look kind of worn down - I wonder how much of it is to do with the ancient interior though.

*Ordered stuff these sites over 6 months ago so these may have changed for the better.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
I had no idea HBC was doing well at all let alone online. I may have to consider ordering online there (or at least shopping and buying if its a good deal / item). There online store looks good but wasn't sure if ordering process was smooth / modern.
Modern but not smooth. I ordered 2 gift cards to be sent to my daughter in Toronto about a week before Christmas. Got an email the Wednesday before Christmas informing me they had no stock and had cancelled the order. What BS! Got on the phone and they couldn't explain why the order got cancelled but she put through a new order for the same cards without a problem. She got the the week after Christmas.

I complained on their Facebook page which got me an email from a high level CSR and a $25 gift card so they did look after me. Problem is, you can order something from them that they don't have and they will just cancel the order.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Oh,really? How kind u are.
You wish failure for a large company,a place many still like to shop at and with many employees?
And I would like to see you lose your job as well sir to make room for your competition.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Mar 24, 2017 at 6:33 AM. Reason: EDIT

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I tried for years to shop there for men's clothing. Considering most of the time merchandise is mostly thrown into random piles of shelves and the overall organization is worse that most off price retailers such as Winners yet they charge full price for stuff I gave up long ago. It is somewhat interesting to see Sears Canada is going to embrace to messiness of the stores in lean hard into the whole off price segment of the market rather than trying to deal with the issues.

In terms of the non-off price side, except big changes to come even to men's clothing as the other part of the off-price announcement was that outside the new off-price department they are starting all the normal parts of the store will be going exclusively private label so no Levi's or other large name brand merchandise going forward.
You gave up long ago so that does truly not make u a maven on what is occurring now. I find very good value for basic and working apparel there in fact. Actually, as compared to years ago, quite a bit of their product is fairly stylish and some great sale prices along with some of he new cut pricing.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:17 PM

I would love it if someone with a very large bank account bought out Sears and replaced it with Eatons, would be a lot better!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Bring back Eatons!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan