HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 1:42 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Man, you guys are off the deep end...

Is the idea of conservatives even existing that foreign? I know Winnipeg's a liberal place, but damn...
You really want someone like Trump to be associated with the conservative brand? I am 99% sure he will be the last Republican president.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Automation has been accelerating for 100+ years, but what is really new is AI. Machines that can think and learn. It affects both white and blue collar workers. This will be a revolution.
I really don't like this brave new world. What are 7 billion people going to do? Not everyone is going to be able to make a living going on vacations.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 1:44 PM
arf

Build automation parts, until that is automated. Program the systems, until that is automated. At some point the economy will die and the current structures and habits of society will change dramatically. Jobs will be different. Pay will be different. The current concept of capitalism and work and all of that will change. Or there will just be massive unemployment, no social security and the riots and violence will start. Then the zombie apocalypse and the roving gangs of thugs on cars and trucks made mostly of junk looking for the last semblances of durable goods and oil.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 4:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Great article about Medicine Hat.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/15/w...-gas.html?_r=2

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
That is a really interesting article, thanks for posting.

It certainly makes a strong case for the public development of utilities and natural resources. Had Medicine Hat sold off the rights to the gas one hundred years ago, they wouldn't be in this enviable position today. Similar thinking was behind the development of Winnipeg Hydro back in the day. Cheap electricity was going to lure industry to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
You really want someone like Trump to be associated with the conservative brand? I am 99% sure he will be the last Republican president.
#notmypresident because it's #notmycountry

I wouldn't want him in charge of Canada but if Hillary was the other choice? Yes.

The tone, the de-facto liberalism in this forum is a little startling. It's as if many here grew up being taught that conservatives were evil... it's a stark contrast to conversations had in person, where I seem to meet more conservatives than lefties.

The left has to learn their lesson from their capitulation in the US, and if they don't, conservative momentum gained in this last election will maintain or increase. People can say what they want about Trump, but judging by the left's public reaction, they've lost their wits and stand to lose the reasonable people from within their ranks. In response, the Republicans may happily soften a little and add some numbers.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 3:30 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
#notmypresident because it's #notmycountry

I wouldn't want him in charge of Canada but if Hillary was the other choice? Yes.
Yeah, her nuclear holocaust would have paled in comparison to the one Trump is working on.

Quote:
The tone, the de-facto liberalism in this forum is a little startling.
No it isn't. Look at the demographics. We're mostly city dwellers. A group that tends to skew left.

If you go to a forum about farms you'll find it skews right, because that's a different demographic.

I always find it absurd when people complain this forum is leftist. That's like going to CatFancy.com and complaining they spend too much time discussing cats.

Quote:
It's as if many here grew up being taught that conservatives were evil...
We weren't "taught" this. We learned it through experience. We lived under them for the previous decade! I came of age under Martin's and Harper's governments and that heavily influenced my perception of Canada's federal government and political system.

I was also a kid during Mike Harris's reign over Ontario and recall the devastation to our economy that his Tea Party style politics combined with free trade policies did to us. His legacy still hurts the perception of the PC Party of Ontario today, nearly 20 years later.

Quote:
it's a stark contrast to conversations had in person, where I seem to meet more conservatives than lefties.
That depends on who you know. Most of my in-person conversations are with leftists (but I live in a city where the PCs come in fourth in elections), the only Conservative supporters I ever meet are racist, ignorant old people who pepper their ideology with insults and demands for entitlements.

Quote:
The left has to learn their lesson from their capitulation in the US, and if they don't, conservative momentum gained in this last election will maintain or increase. People can say what they want about Trump, but judging by the left's public reaction, they've lost their wits and stand to lose the reasonable people from within their ranks. In response, the Republicans may happily soften a little and add some numbers.
The Democrats lost because the establishment part of the Democratic Party is too drunk on corporate donations and is fighting as hard as they can to protect them. And they will continue losing if that doesn't change. There is a reason so many young people in the US are independents.

And I wouldn't refer to being led by the least popular president in American history while constituents turn out en masse at town halls to cuss out their Republican representatives to be "conservative momentum". The only thing really protecting the Republicans is gerrymandering, and even that's being challenged as undemocratic now.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 6:56 PM

Yeah, you guys need to chill your right wing circle jerk. We're living in a gilded age thanks to the thoughtful and light touch of states across the liberal spectrum--that is, centre-right and centre-left politics as we popularly describe them.

You can have your silly, tribalistic get-off because the Republicans are back, and that means you get to dust off your Bush-era credentials for whining about taxes and disrespecting women. But all of us on this board have more in common with each other across this asinine left-right divide than any of us have with a straight up fascist like Trump, who's jeopardizing the era of unparallelled global peace, prosperity, and liberty we've all been so lucky to enjoy.

It was fucking stupid when leftists celebrated the terrible policies of Hugo Chavez in Venezuela. And Venezuelans today get to sleep in the bed Chavez made (and filled with shit). They can thank Chavez for decimated freedoms and a nascent famine. It's also fucking stupid when rightists get down with Trump. The difference is that when the United States shits the bed, we all have to sleep in it.

And lest you think these are the ravings of some easily ignored lefty, the patron saint of American "Conservatism", Ronald Reagan, agrees with me from beyond the grave.

I'd invite you all to get some historical context for these things you believe. A lot of people have real reasons to fear for their livelihoods, their safety, and their freedom. Writing that off as some kind of partisan comedown is going to fuck you in the end. And in the meantime, you'll look like an asshole throwing your lot in with the psychos at stormfront, and you'll look like an idiot for misusing 'liberal' as an insult towards social democrats, instead of as an accurate description of what you, I, and most of us are.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 5:04 PM

2016 Census for Metro Areas

I posted my comments about this in the Saskatoon Thread, but probably belongs here, too.

Quote:
Brutopian

On March 8, 2017, StatsCan updated its Population of Census Metropolitan Areas. It pegs the Saskatoon CMA as having a population of 315,200 as of July 1, 2016.

According to these stats, the Saskatoon CMA grew by a whopping 9,700 people between July 1, 2015 and July 1, 2016.

Source:
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...emo05a-eng.htm

No real surprise in the Census results, but it does reinforce that Western Canada (specifically SK and AB) were the growth leaders from 2013 - 2016. My quick percentages are as follows:

Winnipeg - 5.4%
Regina - 7.1%
Saskatoon - 8.4%
Calgary - 8.5%
Edmonton - 8.6%
Kelowna - 5.5%
Abbotsford - 4.7%
Vancouver - 4.3%
Victoria - 3.5%

From my quick scan of the stats, I don't think there were any metro centers east of Winnipeg with 3 year growth over 5%.

It will be interesting to see how the growth may have changed through 2017. While there seems to be the feeling that things have slowed dramatically here over the last 2 years, the recent job numbers don't seem to reflect that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:37 AM

Well with a provincial budget like that, how long before people start pulling up stakes and moving out again?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:59 PM

Sask Budget

I was surprised to see the PST raised and extended to apply to insurance premiums, etc. in the Saskatchewan budget. This was a very unpopular move in MB with the NDP. Coupled with massive cuts in the budget, will voters turn on the Brad Wall government? Or is the hope that things will turn around by 2020 and voters will forget?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:07 PM

^ It was unpopular in MB because the NDP specifically said in 2011 that it wasn't going to raise the PST. On its own, jacking up the tax by a point is a perfectly reasonable thing to do but obviously it's a hard sell when you said you weren't going to do it. If Wall didn't make such a promise then it shouldn't be a big deal for him.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
I was surprised to see the PST raised and extended to apply to insurance premiums, etc. in the Saskatchewan budget. This was a very unpopular move in MB with the NDP. Coupled with massive cuts in the budget, will voters turn on the Brad Wall government? Or is the hope that things will turn around by 2020 and voters will forget?
The biggest PST change was applying it to the full cost of construction including labour. This will cost us more than the rate increase.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It was unpopular in MB because the NDP specifically said in 2011 that it wasn't going to raise the PST. On its own, jacking up the tax by a point is a perfectly reasonable thing to do but obviously it's a hard sell when you said you weren't going to do it. If Wall didn't make such a promise then it shouldn't be a big deal for him.
Where will they move to? SK still has the lowest PST and some of the lowest income tax rates and no carbon tax. AB has no PST but has a deficit more than 10x bigger.

Edit: sorry this was supposed to be a reply to Dalreg:
Quote:
Well with a provincial budget like that, how long before people start pulling up stakes and moving out again?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
The biggest PST change was applying it to the full cost of construction including labour. This will cost us more than the rate increase.
Ouch, that would be a big hike. Was this a surprise, or had this been talked about already by the govt?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
AB has no PST but has a deficit more than 10x bigger.
I wonder how long Albertans will put up with everything that's necessary to keep that particular sacred cow alive? 5% would bring in about $5 billion a year over there.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:43 PM
BANNED

Without the oil revenue, it may be time to look at a PST in AB. Notley will not win the next election, so why she is dismissing it is puzzling.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:18 PM

this is why i support free enterprise. less government the better.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Without the oil revenue, it may be time to look at a PST in AB. Notley will not win the next election, so why she is dismissing it is puzzling.
That could actually be a decent Alberta NDP legacy. If they devoted the proceeds to something politically saleable, e.g. infrastructure for a growing population and economy, it could really position Alberta well for the future. Well, provided that PC/Wildrose/their bastard child didn't eliminate it upon getting elected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan