HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 3:15 AM
Movin' on up

Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport

It was brought to my attention that this type of thread does not exist, so I'll be the one to do the initiation.

My question is will this new airport be able to bring much needed international service (beyond the United States) to the citizens of Winnipeg? If find it irritating that Winnipeg citizens have to connect in places like Calgary, Toronto or Vancouver to get to other international destination. I understand that Winnipeg is no Toronto, but man, even Calgary has some choice for direct non-stop service to selected European destinations. IMO, they are no more "major" or "important" than Winnipeg. Of course, I will be condemmed for this opinion; oh well.

Of course, any other questions and comments are welcome.

Last edited by 1ajs; Jul 5, 2011 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 3:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy
It was brought to my attention that this type of thread does not exist, so I'll be the one to do the initiation.

My question is will this new airport be able to bring much needed international service (beyond the United States) to the citizens of Winnipeg? If find it irritating that Winnipeg citizens have to connect in places like Calgary, Toronto or Vancouver to get to other international destination. I understand that Winnipeg is no Toronto, but man, even Calgary has some choice for direct non-stop service to selected European destinations. IMO, they are no more "major" or "important" than Winnipeg. Of course, I will be condemmed for this opinion; oh well.

Of course, any other questions and comments are welcome.
this would be the 5th winnipeg airport thread so far...

its dubling the size if not tripling the size of the terminal.

the parkade is prity much done the terminal its self is supost to start construction in january

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 3:37 AM
Starring as himself

How would a new airport have any bearing on whether someone decides to start a direct flight from Winnipeg to Europe? I would guess that Winnipeg simply doesn't generate nearly enough full-fare traffic to sustain an expensive transcontinental service.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 4:26 AM
the first stamp is free

Winnipeg gets seasonal non-stop charter flights to Europe and the Caribbean...

I honestly can't see a real market for regular flights between Winnipeg and Europe right now.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 8:08 AM
surely you agree with me

Specifications
Airport Terminal Building size: Approximately 51,000 m²
Parking structure: 4 level parking facility, 1,559 stalls
Airside construction: additional aircraft parking apron
Groundside site services

Project schedule:
2005-06 Roadways/Site works
2005-06 Parkade
2006-09 Airport Terminal Building (Phase I)

Cost:
$572 million range [parking & terminal plus roadways, civil site works and infrastructure] 2003-09

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 3:33 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJOB
WAA Welcomes Blue Skies
NOV 27 2006 03:20 PM

The President and CEO of the Winnipeg Airports Authority is encouraged with Canada's new airline strategy.
The so called "Blue Sky" plan allows airlines from Canada to offer flights to and from third countries via the U-K, and allows U-K airlines to do the same via Canada.

Barry Remple tells CJOB, the increased traffic and services are potential opportunities for the Winnipeg airport.

(play audio)

Canada's transport minister Lawrence Cannon says the Blue Sky strategy will also mean more visitors to Canada and more business for our airports.

CJOB's Lorne Edwards reporting.
Apparently to all the nay-sayers, there IS potential for increased European travel to Winnipeg, even if it is just the UK at the momoent.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 3:53 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew
Winnipeg gets seasonal non-stop charter flights to Europe and the Caribbean...

I honestly can't see a real market for regular flights between Winnipeg and Europe right now.
But remeber, this is only Phase I of termial expansion, so there will be bigger and better things to come, including more space for more planes to land which would mean a possible expansion in air service.

I see big possibilities for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 3:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Much like the arena and football stadium, Winnipeg's been overdue for a terminal replacement for the better part of my life.

It's fun and exciting to land in a brand new terminal, and even the current progress (the parkade) is something to see. No more kilometre-long walks to your car in the long-term parking in -30! Yay!

I can't wait to visit in 2009/2010. The renderings look damn fine.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 4:56 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Apparently to all the nay-sayers, there IS potential for increased European travel to Winnipeg, even if it is just the UK at the momoent.
I am not so much a naysayer - but really Calgary has positioned itself as the airport hub for the prairie region. So in order for Winnipeg to get regular flights, we not only need the butts in the seats, we need to convince them that it makes sense to fly to Winnipeg over Calgary. The fact of the matter is that we don't have the tourist draw of the Rockies (the Brits LOVE the mountains) or the Alberta business jugernaut.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 5:05 PM

Quote:
...even Calgary has some choice for direct non-stop service to selected European destinations. IMO, they are no more "major" or "important" than Winnipeg. Of course, I will be condemmed for this opinion; oh well.
Don't forget that Winnipeg has about 700,000 people while Calgary over 1 million, and Edmonton, not too far away, is about 1 million (right?) or close to it so it makes sense in terms of numbers. And like drew said, it's the proximity to the Rockies that makes Calgary a better choice too.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 5:41 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

But Winnipeg's geography gives it a tremendous advantage over both Alberta cities. After Toronto and Vancouver, Winnipeg is the third biggest cargo hub in Canada. In the foreseeable future it might even make sense to have international flights cross the Arctic Circle via Winnipeg.

If you fly north, Winnipeg is a lot closer to some Northern European cities (I.e. Stockholm, Amsterdam, Moscow, etc) than either Montreal or Toronto.

As one of the only 24 hour a day airports in the country I think our airport is definitely going places.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Nov 28, 2006 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 5:47 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCityJ
Don't forget that Winnipeg has about 700,000 people while Calgary over 1 million, and Edmonton, not too far away, is about 1 million (right?) or close to it so it makes sense in terms of numbers. And like drew said, it's the proximity to the Rockies that makes Calgary a better choice too.

Although I agree with your points regarding tourism in the rockies, i'd have to say that being an important airport has little to do with tourist appeal.

Just look at some of the more important American air hubs:

Delta Airlines = Salt Lake City
Northwest = Minneapolis & Detroit
US Airways = Pittsburgh

In all of those cities, physical location relative to the American market , not tourism, is what makes them important airports.

Winnipeg's location right at in the heart of the continent makes it a logical choice for an air hub, maybe even more so than Calgary or Edmonton.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Nov 28, 2006 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 6:16 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

churchill worlds longest runway... also the port

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 6:32 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely..
In all of those cities, physical location relative to the American market , not tourism, is what makes them important air hubs.

Winnipeg's location right at in the heart of the continent makes it a logical choice for an air hub, maybe even more so than Calgary or Edmonton.
I'll agree with you in terms of air cargo hub - Winnipeg is positioned well, and is already successful in that regard.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 7:09 PM
Sand kicking airport guy.

The new AC YEG-LHR flight is sitting at 90-95% load factors,so the brits must love Edmonton too...YEG continues to be the fastest growing airport in canada at the moment in terms of passenger growth per annum.YYC is ahead of the game in total passengers per year but YEG is creeping up pretty fast.

I could see a YWG-LHR flight in the future but it isnt likely for some time...
Nice expansion though,looks like YWG will be a sharp looking airport!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 7:30 PM
surely you agree with me

havent we talkad about this already?

doesnt that zoom airlines run winnipeg, gatwick direct flights once a week, or twice a week or something like that?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 7:33 PM
Sand kicking airport guy.

Zoom flys YWG-LGW once per week (summer only.)Disscussing a scheduled,year-round YWG-LHR flight...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 7:40 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
churchill worlds longest runway... also the port
I just happen to have a Canada Flight Supplement at my desk. Churchill's runway is listed at 9200 ft. Impressive for sure, but not even the longest in Manitoba.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2006, 8:30 PM
Community Guy

^YEG just regained a regular service to LHR....so be patient...it took us a while. However i could see YWG get some non-direct flights.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 12:33 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely..
If you fly north, Winnipeg is a lot closer to some Northern European cities (I.e. Stockholm, Amsterdam, Moscow, etc) than either Montreal or Toronto.
Not quite, here's a comparison of the shortest distance between Toronto and those cities, and Winnipeg and those cities. Montreal is significantly closer than both Winnipeg and Toronto to all those cities.

YYZ-Stockholm: 6331 km
YWG-Stockholm: 6531 km
YYZ-Moscow: 7489 km
YWG-Moscow: 7543 km
YYZ-Amsterdam: 6007 km
YWG-Amsterdam: 6518 km

It's not too much further to Winnipeg (except for Amsterdam). It's certainly not "a lot closer", though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan