HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 4:40 AM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
YWG will come back...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 6:35 AM
the first stamp is free

^where did it go?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 6:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew
^where did it go?
i was there yesterday and it was there inless some aliens came by and teliported it to mars or somthing

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 2:45 PM

Aeromexico will offer flights from Winnipeg

winnipegsun.com

Aeromexico is expected to announce today it will offer flights from Winnipeg starting next month.

The carrier will offer charter service to Cancun through Sunwing Vacations, Winnipeg Airports Authority spokeswoman Christine Alongi said.

Sunwing's getaway packages and flights from Winnipeg start Dec.16, which coincides with the beginning of the regular charter season from the winter city.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 3:48 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
i was there yesterday and it was there inless some aliens came by and teliported it to mars or somthing
lol

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg
winnipegsun.com Aeromexico is expected to announce today it will offer flights from Winnipeg starting next month. The carrier will offer charter service to Cancun through Sunwing Vacations, Winnipeg Airports Authority spokeswoman Christine Alongi said. Sunwing's getaway packages and flights from Winnipeg start Dec.16, which coincides with the beginning of the regular charter season from the winter city.
umm so thats normal but usly the charers have already started.... but cancun

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 6:09 PM

aeromexico is new to Winnipeg, usually the charters are done by skyservice or westjet. i agree cancun , but cheap flight there then bus to a more remote location (thats what i've done)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 10:12 PM
Movin' on up

Would like to see more Carribean destinations added, if possible.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely..
But Winnipeg's geography gives it a tremendous advantage over both Alberta cities. After Toronto and Vancouver, Winnipeg is the third biggest cargo hub in Canada. In the foreseeable future it might even make sense to have international flights cross the Arctic Circle via Winnipeg.

If you fly north, Winnipeg is a lot closer to some Northern European cities (I.e. Stockholm, Amsterdam, Moscow, etc) than either Montreal or Toronto.

As one of the only 24 hour a day airports in the country I think our airport is definitely going places.
Not to sound negative here, but If Winnipeg has a tremendous advantage over Calgary and Edmonton, then why isn't it already the hub of the prairies? This is more of a curiousty thing. I know Calgary has much higher number of international tourists due to the Rockies, as well as a bigger business sector, but as you pointed ouit, cities like Salt Lake have become hub cities.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 11:43 PM
surely you agree with me

calgary is the best location for a passanger airline hub for many reasons....winnipeg needs to work more to become a cargo, and distribution hub for the west....that is where the central location and existing infrastructure is winnipeg's advantage.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 4:54 AM
Movin' on up

blah blah blah..........Calgary better...........blah blah blah

Sorry to be an ass, but that is all I hear.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 5:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy
blah blah blah..........Calgary better...........blah blah blah

Sorry to be an ass, but that is all I hear.
naa your not we all get sick of it

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 5:21 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly
Not to sound negative here, but If Winnipeg has a tremendous advantage over Calgary and Edmonton, then why isn't it already the hub of the prairies? This is more of a curiousty thing. I know Calgary has much higher number of international tourists due to the Rockies, as well as a bigger business sector, but as you pointed ouit, cities like Salt Lake have become hub cities.
Interestingly, Winnipeg was the original headquarters of Trans-Canada Airlines -- the forerunner to Air Canada. From 1937 to 1949, our airport was also the site of their national maintenance base. In 1949, federal policy dictated the headquarters move to Montreal. Later the maintenance base also moved east which was a significant blow to western Canada. However, Air Canada still retains a significant maintenance operation in the city. In fact, Northwest Airlines has been known to send their Airbus aircraft to YWG for overhaul.

Winnipeg is also Canada's third largest airport by cargo tonnage, with approximately 150,000 metric tonnes of air cargo moving through the airport in 2005. Two of Canada's largest air cargo companies use Winnipeg as a major domestic hub: Purolator and Cargojet.

Winnipeg International Airport, which opened in 1928 as Stevenson Aerodrome, was also Canada's first international airport.

In regards to Salt Lake City, it is a hub only because it was the former HQ of Western Airlines, which was purchased by Delta Airlines following deregulation. Although it qualifies as a "hub," SLC is largely a regional aircraft base staffed with CRJ's outsourced by Delta.

Calgary is highly analogous to SLC's hub. Calgary was the former HQ for Pacific Western and Canadian Airlines and is still largely a narrowbody base with limited international service. It acts as a regional feeder for the west coast, far north, etc. but still benefits from the remnants of Canadian's operations.

Although Westjet is also HQ'd in Calgary, it hardly operates on the hub system. Rather, it has made a fortune by pioneering point-to-point service across Canada and bypassing traditional hubs. Air Canada also still exceeds WJ in the number of flights from Calgary airport due to the inherited slots and route structure of Canadian.

The only reasoning that I can offer as to why Calgary has been more popular as a "focus city" (the more appropriate term) is because of improved airport infrastructure (courtesy of the 1988 Olympics) and the aforementioned headquartering of PWA and Canadian Airlines.

Furthermore, the traditional hub-and-spoke system of air travel is disappearing with the advent of long-range CRJ/Embraer aircraft and the introduction of the 787 Dreamliner. Point-to-point service is emerging as the new paradigm in the airline industry. Hence, any discussion concerning the importance of a city as an air "hub" is rapidly becoming moot.

In the near future, the public's ability to fly non-stop between destinations will vastly improve.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 6:03 AM
surely you agree with me

informative post...thanks.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2006, 7:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking
informative post...thanks.
agrees txs Only The Lonely..

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 1:38 PM

Wow. Good post. Now can you tell me why Westjet took 2.5 days to get me home from Vegas when the flight was cancelled Sunday night!! My boss would like an explanation.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 3:37 AM
Mooderator

Stevenson International sounds sexier than Winnipeg International, IMO.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 3:58 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I like the name Stevenson Field, especially because it pays homage to a local aviation pioneer. Many Canadian's simply don't understand how important a place Winnipeg was in flight's eary days.

What's more remarkable is how imaginative and progressive our city was. Think about it, our forefathers built an airport at a time when most people didn't even own an automobile. Winnipeg definitely had its eyes on the future back then.

I wish our current leaders were so foreward thinking.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Dec 2, 2006 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 4:05 AM

Eeeks! Sorry to hear about that! I don't know what the weather was like out in Winnipeg but in Calgary all the way west to Vancouver it was absolutely miserable and blizzardy, etc. I bet the reason why it took so long to get you home is because flights here were cancelled due to runway conditions. Being unable to take off from here would have caused the cancellations out of Vegas. Your plane that was supposed to pick you up most likely didn't originate in Winnipeg but one of the snowed in cities. Hope you are safe and sound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander
Wow. Good post. Now can you tell me why Westjet took 2.5 days to get me home from Vegas when the flight was cancelled Sunday night!! My boss would like an explanation.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 6:36 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely..
I like the name Stevenson Field, especially because it pays homage to a local aviation pioneer. Many Canadian's simply don't understand how important a place Winnipeg was in flight's eary days.

What's more remarkable is how imaginative and progressive our city was. Think about it, our forefathers built an airport at a time when most people didn't even own an automobile. Winnipeg definitely had its eyes on the future back then.
The Richardson family (specifically James) was a huge part in the development of this industry in Winnipeg (and Western Canada) as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan