HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 7:08 AM
Movin' on up

sigh............. all this talk of how great Winnipeg was in the past is kinda depressing. I'm still believing that will eventually change, but the real question is when. I'm getting impatient. Winnipeg, it's time to crack the whip

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 8:11 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander
Wow. Good post. Now can you tell me why Westjet took 2.5 days to get me home from Vegas when the flight was cancelled Sunday night!! My boss would like an explanation.
Dunno about the rest of you folks, but I'd never turn my nose up at an unexpected extra 2.5 days in Vegas.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 8:12 AM
surely you agree with me

it is pretty cool to see winnipeg in a list of world cities on caesar pelli's web site....only a handful of buildings have ever been constructed in canada designed by one of the world's most famous international architects.

that fact seems to be lost in talk of this project....there are not many more prominent designers in the world.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2006, 5:53 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly
Not to sound negative here, but If Winnipeg has a tremendous advantage over Calgary and Edmonton, then why isn't it already the hub of the prairies? This is more of a curiousty thing. I know Calgary has much higher number of international tourists due to the Rockies, as well as a bigger business sector, but as you pointed ouit, cities like Salt Lake have become hub cities.
This is a weeeee bit negative, but we'll let it pass, this time lol

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed
Dunno about the rest of you folks, but I'd never turn my nose up at an unexpected extra 2.5 days in Vegas.
True enough. It turned out to be a blast but it was pretty tough calling my boss and telling him that the next flight out was 2.5 days later - especially since it's my last week of work (I start a new job on Monday).

The plane never left Vancouver, and of course they don't replace it so with only a couple of flights out of Vegas every day Westjet took over two days to get everybody home. My buddy going back to Vancouver with Air Canada got out Monday morning.

And Westjet doesn't offer compensation for weather related delays, even if it takes over two days to get home. Got to spend some quality time in the Calgary airport though. The Tim Horton's is thankfully 24 hours.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 5:44 AM
ILYR

Arial view of the airport redevelopment.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 6:16 AM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew
^where did it go?

From being A/C's western golden child in the 70's to nowhere....a familair story...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 10:56 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck
From being A/C's western golden child in the 70's to nowhere....a familair story...
Awww, cmon man, you make it sound so hopeless. Winnipeg is very similar to Edmonton; cities that have been on the backburner, but are improving. Have a beer and think that we can do it

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 12:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy
Awww, cmon man, you make it sound so hopeless. Winnipeg is very similar to Edmonton; cities that have been on the backburner, but are improving. Have a beer and think that we can do it
lol sure

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 10:13 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander
And Westjet doesn't offer compensation for weather related delays, even if it takes over two days to get home. Got to spend some quality time in the Calgary airport though. The Tim Horton's is thankfully 24 hours.
In Westjet's defence, not many airlines (if any) will compensate you for weather delays, and other delays that are beyond their control.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 4, 2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon
In Westjet's defence, not many airlines (if any) will compensate you for weather delays, and other delays that are beyond their control.
Fair enough. But how many other airlines take over two days to get you home? Even Air Canada was faster than that.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:17 AM
Community Guy

Winnipeg....keep pushing, keep writing, keep telling people to fly YWG 1st....

Edmonton has preached this for 5yrs or so now and as of today we landed a direct Frankfurt nonstop too.

it can be done...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 2:57 AM
Movin' on up

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx
Winnipeg....keep pushing, keep writing, keep telling people to fly YWG 1st....

Edmonton has preached this for 5yrs or so now and as of today we landed a direct Frankfurt nonstop too.

it can be done...
Good Lord, I'm hoping that Winnipeg gets its shit together so it can land a few more international destinations. I'm sick and tired of watching other cities move forward while we sit back in the dust. Sorry, I'm very frustrated and a little jealous right now.

(congrats to Edmonton for WANTING AND ACTIVELY SEEKING international flight service)

Last edited by Greco Roman; Dec 5, 2006 at 3:08 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:52 AM
Capitalist

Just curious ...will the new terminal building be linked to the hotel in anyway? ... or are people going to have to brave the elements in January?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer
Just curious ...will the new terminal building be linked to the hotel in anyway? ... or are people going to have to brave the elements in January?
good question no clue

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:34 PM
What could go wrong?

The hotel is getting an addition to the north, duplicating the same height as the existing building. This will bring it closer to the new terminal but i am not sure if it will be connected by an indoor link. I suppose it could have one through the new parkade. Im sure they have thought of this.

By the way - apparently this hotel is hugely successful.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 4:06 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Just a comment, every time I've been seriously delayed on a Westjet flight (very few, mind you) I've been reimbursed somehow. Several times the entire flight fare was credited.

Maybe I've been lucky and only ever encountered non-weather delays? Either way, I've never had anything but good luck flying with Westjet. I think I've already done my AC rant here, so I won't repeat how much I wish they'd just disappear from the skies

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 5:18 AM
Capitalist

The hotel expansion at the airport is very good news. I knew it was doing very well, but this expansion is evidance of it. I am still waiting for some type of business centre to be announced at the airport. I figure it will only be a matter of time with this all this development and expansion. I think this airport is large enough to support such a centre.

I also suspect they will construct an indoor link to the new terminal once every thing is built.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 5:48 AM
Movin' on up

Don't forget; this is just Phase I; more expansions are planned for the futur

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 6:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy
Don't forget; this is just Phase I; more expansions are planned for the futur
yep

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan