HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 4:12 AM
Movin' on up

I think that Brandon, with it's "boom" in the local economy and population growth, could also be worthy of some air service, possibly westjet or air canada jazz.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2006, 6:08 PM
Movin' on up

I know my buddy out here would LOVE to have a link from Edmonton/Calgary to Brandon; he from the area somewhat (Waskada Mb. to be exact).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
I think that Brandon, with it's "boom" in the local economy and population growth, could also be worthy of some air service, possibly westjet or air canada jazz.

Westjet did offer scheduled service out of Brandon at one point years ago, and last year had a charter service, I believe to Mexico out of Brandon. Is there enough market to offer Westjet's 737NG service? Where would the destination cities be, keeping in mind that the aircraft type is 737 (ie: Brandon/Winnipeg=too close)?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 4:12 AM
Movin' on up

I believe the main reason Westjet pulled out of Brandon was due to 9-11, and an overall decrease in air passenger service across North America. As a brand new (Brandon-Calgary) line that hadn't been around long enough to prove successful, this was a logical choice for Westjet.

Look at Lethbridge-Calgary, and Medicine Hat and Calgary with AC. How are these markets viable? Brandon would have a good chance with Westjet heading out to Alberta (similare to the Calgary and Edmonton to Comox routes).

Lethbridge-Calgary distance on ground 223km

Medicine Hat-Calgary distance on ground 280kms

Brandon-Winnipeg distance on ground 200kms

If AC can work for a Lethbridge and Medicine Hat to Calgary run, then it too could work for a Brandon Winnipeg run.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Dec 13, 2006 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 1:44 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Intercity bus depot might go to airport
Greyhound explores move from downtown

Wed Dec 13 2006

By Nick Martin and Joe Paraskevas | Winnipeg Free Press

GREYHOUND Canada is talking with Winnipeg airport officials about moving the city's downtown bus depot to the airport.
"Their lease is coming up for renewal and they're looking for a new spot. We'd love to have them out here," Christine Alongi, spokeswoman for the Winnipeg Airports Authority, said Tuesday.

She said Greyhound's lease for the Portage Avenue bus depot expires in 2009.

"Greyhound definitely needs to find a new location. They've had discussions with the airport authority," Alongi said. "It's definitely something I know they've explored."

She was unaware whether Greyhound and the WAA have looked at specific pieces of land and road access at the airport, or whether there have been talks about connecting a bus depot to the airport terminal.

"We have lots of land," she pointed out.
It's up to Greyhound to come back to the airports authority with a business proposal, she said. "We're looking for Greyhound to come back and see if it's viable. There hasn't been any talk of design," Alongi said.

But she said Winnipeg Airports Authority CEO Barry Rempel has a vision of the airport as a passenger hub.

"Barry Rempel's vision of creating an airport campus reflects a bus depot, planes, trains, automobiles," she said.

Meanwhile, University of Winnipeg president Lloyd Axworthy said Tuesday he hopes to acquire the city's downtown bus terminal and expand onto the site.

"We're working on it," Axworthy said.

He pointed out that the bus depot has a lease, and emphasized that there is nothing happening imminently. But it is beyond a casual wish list for the university, he conceded.

"There's been lots of talking about them moving out to the airport. It's (the current depot) a great location for us," Axworthy said.

The bus depot is a block east of the U of W's main campus. Axworthy said the U of W has no concrete plans should it eventually acquire the bus depot site.

But he said the university is always interested in expanding its continuing education and community programs, especially for residents of the core area.

MP Pat Martin (NDP-Winnipeg Centre) said from Ottawa he's thrilled that rumours he's heard of the bus depot's move to the airport may be coming true.

"Having the bus depot where it is, is an eyesore, a nuisance, a headache, an absolute disaster. It's so inappropriate for it to be where it is," Martin said.

Having the bus depot at the airport links major transportation services, he said, adding that Winnipeg Transit could extend routes so that lower-income bus passengers would not have to cab it downtown.

Passengers at the downtown terminal Tuesday evening were largely critical of any plan that would have them arriving and departing far from the city's core.

"I don't like that idea," said Torontonian Dave Neron, 22, passing through the city on his way to Kamloops, B.C. Neron said security could be much tighter in a combined airport-bus terminal, a drawback for bus travellers with little to declare.

"People going in-country shouldn't have the inconvenience of going through that," Neron said.

For Bob Lyons, the inconvenience of a bus terminal far from downtown meant the need for extra time and money to go to the hospital. Lyons, who said he was "over 55," comes to Winnipeg from Lynn Lake about eight times a year for medical treatment after having "an arterial bypass." "For me, it's not going to work out," Lyons said, before catching a ride back to his hometown. "This place is central."

Such an attitude would be widely held among northern Manitobans, said a woman who didn't want to give her name, but who said she had lived in Thompson and Lynn Lake.

The woman, now a Winnipeg social worker, said many northern bus users would have difficulty paying for a taxi or downtown shuttle. She said she knew friends who would come to Winnipeg for baseball or hockey games who would give an airport-based bus terminal a thumbs down.

Even the prospect of a brand-new bus terminal at the airport couldn't sway her.

"Have you gone there lately?" the woman said of the airport. "You need a road map. Right now, it's like an obstacle course."

nick.martin@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Dec 13, 2006, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Intercity bus depot might go to airport
Greyhound explores move from downtown

Wed Dec 13 2006

By Nick Martin and Joe Paraskevas | Winnipeg Free Press

GREYHOUND Canada is talking with Winnipeg airport officials about moving the city's downtown bus depot to the airport.
"Their lease is coming up for renewal and they're looking for a new spot. We'd love to have them out here," Christine Alongi, spokeswoman for the Winnipeg Airports Authority, said Tuesday.

She said Greyhound's lease for the Portage Avenue bus depot expires in 2009.

"Greyhound definitely needs to find a new location. They've had discussions with the airport authority," Alongi said. "It's definitely something I know they've explored."

She was unaware whether Greyhound and the WAA have looked at specific pieces of land and road access at the airport, or whether there have been talks about connecting a bus depot to the airport terminal.

"We have lots of land," she pointed out.
It's up to Greyhound to come back to the airports authority with a business proposal, she said. "We're looking for Greyhound to come back and see if it's viable. There hasn't been any talk of design," Alongi said.

But she said Winnipeg Airports Authority CEO Barry Rempel has a vision of the airport as a passenger hub.

"Barry Rempel's vision of creating an airport campus reflects a bus depot, planes, trains, automobiles," she said.

Meanwhile, University of Winnipeg president Lloyd Axworthy said Tuesday he hopes to acquire the city's downtown bus terminal and expand onto the site.

"We're working on it," Axworthy said.

He pointed out that the bus depot has a lease, and emphasized that there is nothing happening imminently. But it is beyond a casual wish list for the university, he conceded.

"There's been lots of talking about them moving out to the airport. It's (the current depot) a great location for us," Axworthy said.

The bus depot is a block east of the U of W's main campus. Axworthy said the U of W has no concrete plans should it eventually acquire the bus depot site.

But he said the university is always interested in expanding its continuing education and community programs, especially for residents of the core area.

MP Pat Martin (NDP-Winnipeg Centre) said from Ottawa he's thrilled that rumours he's heard of the bus depot's move to the airport may be coming true.

"Having the bus depot where it is, is an eyesore, a nuisance, a headache, an absolute disaster. It's so inappropriate for it to be where it is," Martin said.

Having the bus depot at the airport links major transportation services, he said, adding that Winnipeg Transit could extend routes so that lower-income bus passengers would not have to cab it downtown.

Passengers at the downtown terminal Tuesday evening were largely critical of any plan that would have them arriving and departing far from the city's core.

"I don't like that idea," said Torontonian Dave Neron, 22, passing through the city on his way to Kamloops, B.C. Neron said security could be much tighter in a combined airport-bus terminal, a drawback for bus travellers with little to declare.

"People going in-country shouldn't have the inconvenience of going through that," Neron said.

For Bob Lyons, the inconvenience of a bus terminal far from downtown meant the need for extra time and money to go to the hospital. Lyons, who said he was "over 55," comes to Winnipeg from Lynn Lake about eight times a year for medical treatment after having "an arterial bypass." "For me, it's not going to work out," Lyons said, before catching a ride back to his hometown. "This place is central."

Such an attitude would be widely held among northern Manitobans, said a woman who didn't want to give her name, but who said she had lived in Thompson and Lynn Lake.

The woman, now a Winnipeg social worker, said many northern bus users would have difficulty paying for a taxi or downtown shuttle. She said she knew friends who would come to Winnipeg for baseball or hockey games who would give an airport-based bus terminal a thumbs down.

Even the prospect of a brand-new bus terminal at the airport couldn't sway her.

"Have you gone there lately?" the woman said of the airport. "You need a road map. Right now, it's like an obstacle course."
nick.martin@freepress.mb.ca

Hahaha! Winnipeg airport? An obstacle course? Very unlikely! It's such a simple and convenient layout! One road in, one road out! Now, Toronto Pearson airport, there's where you need a road map to get around!

I think a main bus terminal at the airport would be a great idea and to appease the naysayer, have a satellite terminal or a stop where customers can buy tix from a machine somewhere near the present location or in the core; similar to Edmonton where they have 2 terminals, one is the main and the other a small satellite terminal.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 1:15 AM
iron ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
I believe the main reason Westjet pulled out of Brandon was due to 9-11, and an overall decrease in air passenger service across North America. As a brand new (Brandon-Calgary) line that hadn't been around long enough to prove successful, this was a logical choice for Westjet.
The former WestJet YBR-YYC route was only offered as a limited edition trial service. I believe it operated a couple of months one summer, and then again the next year. That was around the time of the AC-CP merger, so it didn't get renewed when WJ got busy expanding in the national market.

Back in the day YBR had a YYC-YBR-YYZ route on Pacific Western 737's, I believe it ran from roughly the late '70's to the late '80's. Also, Athabaska Airways (now Transwest Air) operated a YXE-YQR-YBR-YWG service on Beech 1900D's up until sometime around 9/11. Right now the only scheduled service YBR has is Perimeter Airlines operating twice daily to Dauphin and Winnipeg.

For the right sized aircraft flying the right routings, YBR has potential. It just needs to be on a carrier that can offer onward connections. Medicine Hat and Lethbridge both represent excellent opportunities, as the growth in both those cities has also not been taken advantage of by airlines finding new ways to tap the markets.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:01 AM
Capitalist

Would the Greyhound depot be an extension of the new airport terminal building, or would they construct a completely separate building?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:04 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Would the Greyhound depot be an extension of the new airport terminal building, or would they construct a completely separate building?
Good question, since I'm sure none of this was even considered in the planning of a new terminal.

Anyone?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:13 AM
Capitalist

One benefit I see coming from such a combination of travel services is improved and expanded transit service to the airport.

This would also see more people utilizing the terminal building.

A downside would be an increase of vagrants within the airport, which has historically been fairly clean of bad elements. It may detract from its people friendly environment. Having been to the greyhound depot on occation to pick up a package or two my immpression is it is a place which has some unwanted elements and questionable people. This would be a worry of mine for the new airport terminal.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:22 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
One benefit I see coming from such a combination of travel services is improved and expanded transit service to the airport.

This would also see more people utilizing the terminal building.

A downside would be an increase of vagrants within the airport, which has historically been fairly clean of bad elements. It may detract from its people friendly environment. Having been to the greyhound depot on occation to pick up a package or two my immpression is it is a place which has some unwanted elements and questionable people. This would be a worry of mine for the new airport terminal.
No kidding!

I was coming out of the U of W late Tuesday night and was walking towards the bus depot when a purse snatcher nearly plowed me over as he tried to lose 3 security guards that had given chase.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:22 AM

Vagrants? How so? What would they be doing at the extremity of the city?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Why not use the old terminal or at least part of it, and renovate it? Close to the hotel, the terminal...what a great location!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:50 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Why not use the old terminal or at least part of it, and renovate it? Close to the hotel, the terminal...what a great location!
the old terminal is the new home of the eir museam

from what i understand whats going on at the airport is fase one of a much larger project....

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:41 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Vagrants? How so? What would they be doing at the extremity of the city?
Thats my point... if you move the bus depot will the vagrants, criminals and bums follow. Is the flow of low cost travel enough to attract these bad elements? I don't think Winnipeg would be making a good first impression to those people flying into our city would see these people at our new airport. Would the bus depot hurt Winnipeg's image if it were at the airport?

I'm not telling .. I'm asking.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:46 AM
Movin' on up

So is the problem of vagrants, bums, and social outcasts just an issue for Winnipeg's bus terminal, or are these elements present in other Canadian cities?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:50 AM
Capitalist

Bus depots in most cities ussually attract poor elements, but most bus depots are in the inner city.

So if you move the bus depot (Greyhound) to the airport will the problems follow it?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

newflyer you ever taken the bus... and never seen vagrants at the bus depo so uhh wtf you going on about

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:59 AM

I don't think you would necessarily see actual vagrants and criminals lounging around at the relocated bus depot, which is what I thought you were getting at. You could expect to see anybody who takes the Greyhound, and that is people from all walks of life.

If this was in fact a problem, I still don't like the idea of trying to plan our airport/bus depot so that middle and upper class people don't see the poor... I'd rather work to fix the "vagrant" problem than try and hide it from the world.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
eir museam
Jesus Christ...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan