HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 12:52 AM
Capitalist

Investors Group Field | Winnipeg

I heard that David Asper will be making his presentation tommorow for a new stadium at the Polo Park Location. It is to include various commercial and retail concepts.

Knowing the Aspers, this project proposal will be very special. This new stadium centre may extend to the new Polo Park expansion. Then again I may have misheard .... we will have to wait and see. The complexities of this deal are still on going.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 12:54 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I heard that David Asper will be making his presentation tommorow for a new stadium at the Polo Park Location. It is to include various commercial and retail concepts.

Knowing the Aspers, this project proposal will be very special. This new stadium centre may extend to the new Polo Park expansion. Then again I may have misheard .... we will have to wait and see. The complexities of this deal are still on going.
Would this mean then that it may be built on the same site as CanadInn Stadium; meaning tearing down the old one and starting from scratch?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 12:58 AM
Capitalist

It sounds that way.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 1:09 AM
Movin' on up

I'm also praying that there will be an increase in seating capacity

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 1:23 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
I'm also praying that there will be an increase in seating capacity
I heard it will have a capacity between 28000 and 30000 fixed seats, but will have a large number of private and corporate boxes.... but anyways I shouldn't be disclosing too much yet.

Tommorow gents!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 3:21 AM
surely you agree with me

………………...

Last edited by trueviking; Sep 27, 2018 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 4:11 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
does anyone really think the aspers are going to drop a nickel to build a football stadium?....they had to cancel their 40 million dollar head office for their billion dollar company....now they are going to invest 200 million in what is basically charity?

my prediction is DA will buy, or simply take over the bombers for a song and then complain to the government for the next 15 years to build him a stadium...he might pay for another feasibility study and ask ray wan to get his offshore rent-a-rendering service to ship over a few glossy images from india.

the aspers are a lot of talk, but not much action.
well why don't the aspers just put up the rest of the money for the meuseam.......

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 4:42 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

does Winnipeg getting the posibility of a new stadium have anything to do with Canada's bid for the 2018 FIFA World Cup?? I know Vancouver's new soccer stadium does.

just some food for thought.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
does Winnipeg getting the posibility of a new stadium have anything to do with Canada's bid for the 2018 FIFA World Cup?? I know Vancouver's new soccer stadium does.

just some food for thought.
aww that would be sweet

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 1:57 PM

looks sweeeet to me
read my posts from today fp on winnipeg thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...123084&page=13

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 3:49 PM
Closed account

renders

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 3:53 PM
Closed account

So who is the architect that came up with the design?

It doesn't looked sized for a soccer pitch, but who knows as this early stage. Winnipeg should be careful not to miss an opportunity, either with MLS, which seems on the upswing lately, or as part of Canada's bid for the World Cup in 2018.

Last edited by fengshui; Jan 14, 2007 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 4:59 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Breaking News

Free Press Exclusive: A new Blue super structure
Asper prepared to contribute $40 million toward $120-M stadium

Sun Jan 14 2007

By Ed Tait | Winnipeg Free Press

BUSINESS mogul David Asper will huddle up with the Winnipeg Blue Bomber board of directors Sunday afternoon to pitch his plan to take the club private and help fund a new stadium.
The Free Press has obtained a copy of Asper's confidential proposal, including the architectural drawings and a 2 1/2-minute promotional DVD that will be shown to the Bomber board.

And while all the details will be released later Sunday after his meeting with the club's executives, The Free Press has also learned the plan calls for an injection of $40 million of Asper's money toward a new $120-million facility.

It would also include $40 million from both the federal and provincial governments and the donation of the land from the city -- Asper is said to have had informal discussions with all three political representatives from all three levels -- and would be built on the current site at Polo Park.

If his proposal is agreed on by the Bomber directors, construction on the facility would begin this fall, replace the existing 54-year-old Canad Inns Stadium and be completed in time for the 2008 Canadian Football League season.

A private corporation would then run the football club and the on-site retail/commercial aspect of the plan, scheduled to begin in 2008. It would also mean the end of the Bombers' 76-plus years of community ownership. The team has been run by a non-profit organization managed by a board of directors since its inception in 1930.

Quote:
THE PROPOSAL

* Local business mogul David Asper would gain complete control of the football club in exchange for his $40 million contribution toward a new $120-million facility and on-site retail/commercial component which would begin development in 2008.

THE CAVEAT

* Details of how the public can view the plan will be released Sunday. But Asper's proposal would also call for the Bomber board to reach a decision in an expedited manner rather than have the process dragged out by weeks or months of public consultation so the team can be playing in the new facility by 2008. If accepted, construction on the new facility would begin immediately afterward.

WHAT WOULD CHANGE?

* Asper's proposal would bring to an end 76 years of community ownership and the Bombers -- in addition to the retail/commercial operation -- would then be run by a private corporation.

Currently the Bombers are run by a nine-person board of volunteer directors, which oversees the day-to-day operations handled by president and CEO Lyle Bauer.

THE POTENTIAL UPSIDE

New digs

* Football fans would watch Bomber games in a state-of-the-art facility with many of the bells and whistles baseball and hockey supporters already enjoy with CanWest Global Park and MTS Centre.

Canad Inns Stadium, the current home of the team, was built 54 years ago and needs millions of dollars in infrastructure upgrades. Many fans also complain of the cramped spaces between seats in the East and West grandstands.

Financial stability

* The Bombers posted an operating loss of $480,094 in 2005 -- their first loss in five years. The club entered the 2006 season with an accumulated debt of $697,882, down significantly from the $5.4 million in 2000 that drove the franchise to the brink of bankruptcy. The debt is expected to be wiped clean when the team completes its '06 financial statement, including a $2 million to $3 million windfall from playing host to the 2006 Grey Cup.

The retail and commercial development would help provide the team with the outside revenue sources it has been seeking for years and make it less gate-dependent.

Community benefits

* Details are scarce here, but it's believed the plan would see the establishment of a 'Touchdown Foundation' to benefit amateur football in Manitoba as well as a permanent Blue Bomber hall of fame.

THE POSSIBLE DOWNSIDE

* Private ownership, as many CFL fans across the country are painfully aware, has hardly been a panacea for other franchises. Both Ottawa and Montreal have gone long stretches without CFL teams after private owners left those franchises bankrupt.

* The CFL has implemented a new salary management system for this season in a move to level the competitive playing field between private and publicly owned teams. All teams must now adhere to a $4.05 million salary cap or face fines. If it works, that would narrow the gap between public and private. Three of the eight CFL teams -- Winnipeg, Saskatchewan and Edmonton -- are community owned, the other five are private operations.

Winnipeg and Saskatchewan, it's worth noting, are also suffering through the longest championship droughts in the CFL. The Roughriders' last Grey Cup title came in 1989, the Bombers' last title came a year later.

-- Ed Tait
Asper would not comment on any aspect of his plan when reached at his Winnipeg home Saturday night, choosing instead "to respect the process.

"I'm disappointed that information continues to come out in bits and pieces," said Asper. "I look forward to presenting the entire proposal from top to bottom to the board (Sunday)."

The glitzy promotional DVD clearly outlines Asper's vision for the future of the football team, the centrepiece of which would be a "world-class stadium" that would serve as a "rallying point" a "sense of community spirit" and a "place of national pride."

While stressing the need for a new facility, the video also makes reference to the number of community benefits and the overwhelming success of the MTS Centre -- the home of the Manitoba Moose -- and how it was built through a private-public community partnership.

It also includes some of the new features of the stadium and how it could be constructed without interrupting use of the current facility through the 2007 season.

A key component of the Asper plan is the retail/commercial development that would spring up on-site along Empress Street. Revenue from those sources could be a lifeblood for the franchise, which has been seeking out new income streams for years to make it less dependent on ticket revenue from its 10 home dates per season.

Ironically, the Asper proposal comes at a time when the franchise is in its healthiest position in decades. As recently as 2000, the franchise was $5.4 million in debt and teetering on bankruptcy. But the Bombers expect to make roughly $2.5 million from playing host to the Grey Cup last November, a figure which would wipe out its debt -- $697,882 heading into the 2006 season.

The Bomber board is said to be ready to put out a call for proposals for commercial development and solicit interest from other potential private investors, but Asper is the only party to step forward to date.

Fans could stroll down a Blue Bomber Hall of Fame Walk.
The Asper plan does call for the Bomber board to make an expedited decision within the next few months so that, if accepted, the deal can be closed and construction on the new stadium can begin this year.

A source who will be involved in Sunday's meeting said the Bomber board will listen intently to the Asper plan. In fact, the source said it could be met positively by the Bomber board, some of whom are concerned that without a private partner stepping forward a new facility will never be built.

Asper's promotional DVD concludes with this message:

"It's all here and it's all doable -- together. The new Blue and a new state-of-the-art stadium fresh for kickoff in 2008. A chance to construct a landmark and grow a winning dynasty. It's time to show our true blue colours and make sure it happens today. A new stadium, retail development and a team, stronger than ever.

"It's the only way to ensure a stable future for the Bombers and a winning reputation for Winnipeg."

ed.tait@freepress.mb.ca

Grey Cup Championship first down markers would be on display.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stadium

Location: Essentially the same as the current facility, Canad Inns Stadium, although the West side grandstand would now adjunct St. James Avenue with parking and the retail/commercial development on the East side, facing Empress Street.

Seating: 30,000-40,000; partially covered.

Amenities: 24 private suites; 13 concession areas; 'Bomber Fan Fare' transit terminal; main entrance would face north on St. Matthews Avenue; Blue Bomber Hall of Fame Walk to honour players and builders; Blue Bomber interactive sculptures to honour the franchise and its great players; 'True Blue' fan interactive sculptures celebrating the team's diehard supporters; virtual advertising ring outside the stadium; JumboTrons at both north and south ends.

Parking: Plans call for a 2,100-space, two-floor parkade on-site as well as ground-level spaces on the East side between the stadium and proposed retail development.

Traffic flow: The designs call for the construction of an overhead exit ramp that would take traffic over St. James Street west toward Ness Avenue via an extension of St. Matthews Avenue.

The timeline: Phase 1: Construction would begin on the new West side immediately, without interruption to the current facility during 2007 CFL season.

Phase 2: After the '07 season, the existing East side and playing surface would be demolished to make way for the new grandstand. Stadium would then be ready for the opening of the 2008 CFL season.

Phase 3: Commercial and retail development to begin on East side facing Empress Street in 2008.

-- Ed Tait

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OWNERSHIP MODELS

COMMUNITY VERSUS PRIVATE

Background: The community-owned Winnipeg Football Club began operation in 1930 following the amalgamation of the teams in the Manitoba Rugby Union. It has been community-owned in the 76 years since.

HOW THE BOMBERS MAKE MONEY NOW

In the team's last financial statement (for the year 2005), the Bombers spent $6.6 million on football operations (player/coach salaries, scouting etc.), $2.56 million on marketing and administration and $1.03 million on stadium occupancy.

Those expenses were offset by $3.7 million in ticket revenue; $1.1 million from the Canadian Football League; $4.23 million in revenue generated from corporate sponsorships and $385,436 from stadium management. The team also generated $290,312 from community support and fundraising.

Bottom line: a loss of $480,094.

HOW THE BOMBERS WOULD MAKE MONEY UNDER ASPER'S PLAN

The revenue from game-day would likely increase from the interest in a new facility; CFL revenues are to boost with increase corporate sponsorship and a new TV deal; other revenue -- corporate sponsorship, merchandising, etc. -- would expected to be at least the same.

The commercial/real estate component could be worth a ton given the traffic that flows through the Polo Park area, but is difficult to put a value on not knowing lease agreements and who the tenants are may be.

-Ed Tait.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
"secular progressive agenda" that includes "legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage"
I like this stadium plan, but what I REALLY want to vote for is your sig.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:44 PM
Capitalist

This stadium would definately put Winnipeg at the top of the food chain as far as stadiums go in Canada. Its not the largest, but the quality of complex would surpass all the other CFL stadiums.

I am very impresses!!! It would be a great addition to Winnipeg's other top notch sporting facilities. Winnipeg is very fortunate to have the Aspers.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:47 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
well why don't the aspers just put up the rest of the money for the meuseam.......
The Aspers are the largest private donar to this museum but they strongly believe it should be a community investment with a great deal of community support.. but they have taken the lead and have put up a large sum of there private money and effort to make it happen.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 5:58 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
does anyone really think the aspers are going to drop a nickel to build a football stadium?....they had to cancel their 40 million dollar head office for their billion dollar company....now they are going to invest 200 million in what is basically charity?

my prediction is DA will buy, or simply take over the bombers for a song and then complain to the government for the next 15 years to build him a stadium...he might pay for another feasibility study and ask ray wan to get his offshore rent-a-rendering service to ship over a few glossy images from india.

the aspers are a lot of talk, but not much action.
The Aspers didn't cancel the 40 million dollar building.. the shareholders with the board of directors questioned the value to the company. It was a Canwest project.. spending Canwest money.

Both the museum and this proposed stadium are not Canwest investments. These projects are from the Aspers private money, which is considerable.

I would also not call the stadium a charity... with the retail componant it should be able to make a small profit. Of course this is more of a $40M investment in the city of Winnipeg. Just as there has been many other projects funded by the Aspers for the benefit of our city.

It is very irresponsible to sugest the Aspers are all talk and no action. Have you even read a newspaper over the last 10 years. They have commited funds to many Winnipeg organizations and institutions.

These "no action" people have put endless hours and millions of there own money to make the musuem, which is a pure charity, to add to Winnipeg's cultural attractiveness. It is there attempt to add some big city quality to this slow prarie city.

Your post is beyond ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 6:05 PM
Closed account

I think TV's firm may have backed the wrong horse this time, so he might be a little bitter...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 6:14 PM

That looks great. Good on you Peg.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 6:20 PM

The stadium looks a little cheap in the renderings, but that may just be a preliminary thing. Either way, they better make this thing flexible for soccer as well...I'd rather not have Winnipeg with two new sports complexes that are too small for the big time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan