HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 6:37 PM
Capitalist

Excuse my ignorance but what are the demensions of a soccer field?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 6:44 PM

I notice there is very little surface parking compared to other stadiums.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 6:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what are the demensions of a soccer field?
FIFA requirements are 100-130 yards long by 50-100 yards wide, which is a big variation. Typical international size is 110 x 70 yards or 120 x 75.

Football fields in Canada are 110 x 65. It's an issue of widening an extra 10 yards and having room beyond that for the sidelines, and much easier done in Canada than the US, where the field is quite a bit narrower. Length isn't an issue due to the large size end zones.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 7:02 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
FIFA requirements are 100-130 yards long by 50-100 yards wide, which is a big variation. Typical international size is 110 x 70 yards or 120 x 75.

Football fields in Canada are 110 x 65. It's an issue of widening an extra 10 yards and having room beyond that for the sidelines, and much easier done in Canada than the US, where the field is quite a bit narrower. Length isn't an issue due to the large size end zones.

It should be doable.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 14, 2007 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 7:09 PM

I was extremely happy when I got to read through the (early stages) of the proposal in today's Free Press. The Aspers are outstanding in this community.

As far as Winnipeg "missing out ont the big time"... We are not a "big time" city. I completely believe in dreaming big, and being the best we can be, but I don't think having a sporting franchise that competes with New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, etc. is the definition of "arriving as a city".

If we could get this stadium and the new museum built, it would be fantastic to the city. Two iconic structures (museum much more so then the stadium ...but as newflyer said, it would easily be best CFL complex out there) of this magnitude would look good in what I (maybe over-optimistically) would like to call a re-born Winnipeg.

...Of course, I'd support any new sporting franchise coming to Winnipeg ...but I just don't think Winnipeg could come close to giving anything near an adequate level of support for an MLS franchise.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 7:17 PM
Closed account

Not to get too off-topic, but current fan support in the MLS is not that big - any city that could get 10,000 - 20,000 fans per game would be considered. Franchise fees are $15million I believe. With Beckham arriving, now is the time to think about this.

And even if the MLS is a bit of a dream (as in the Jets will return someday), we've already missed out as a city on the World Cup U-20 this year because there is no facility here. I just hope ANY design for a new stadium considers FIFA requirements, just in case.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:01 PM

This proposal looks amazing. I'm very happy that this happened and not the toilet bowl near the Ex. This is probably the best thing that could have happened, but I'm still going to be picky. I think they should add a mixed-use component to the nearby retail and they could do without that flyover.

As for MLS, this wouldn't be a soccer specific stadium, though the dimensions are close enough that they might accept it. It would also be one of the largest stadiums at around nearly 30,000, and if they would have to change the pitch everytime they switched to soccer (I don't want to see any football grid when I watch a soccer game!) That said there's also the concern that there is enough a fan base in Winnipeg - a lot people are involved in soccer, but would 20,000 pay to watch it? In a few years maybe

I think the next expansion franchises are going to be San Jose, Vancouver and Rochester.

Last edited by Lee_Haber8; Jan 14, 2007 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:13 PM
Round Head

Quote:

Looks Awesome! Congratulations Winnipeg!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:31 PM

Quote:
So who is the architect that came up with the design?

It doesn't looked sized for a soccer pitch, but who knows as this early stage. Winnipeg should be careful not to miss an opportunity, either with MLS, which seems on the upswing lately, or as part of Canada's bid for the World Cup in 2018.
Given that a CFL flield is essensially exactly the same size as a regulation soccer pitch, this could not possibly be a problem

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:41 PM
surely you agree with me

newfie, youre right...i shouldnt have been so harsh...the aspers are great philanthropists...my comments were about their grand construction projects, which are 0 for 2 so far.

no bitterness here....if winnipeg gets a new stadium, i am happy...my boss may think otherwise....i dont like working on huge projects like that anyways...

i have to say that i am still skeptical about the motive....this is basically a 40 million dollar charitable donation....i am looking for the reasoning.

the only thing i can think of is that the retail component, which seems to be built with the $120m becomes part of the asper portfolio and he projects the revenue from that will pay back his money.

i wonder if the government will balk at paying to build a retail development for a private investor.

as a side note, that drawing is not of a $120m stadium, especially if you include the retail component.

this is what is being built in toronto for 70 million (20 000 seats)

that being said, the drawings are cool (are they ray wan rent-a-renderings?).....it sure would be great to have a new stadium....and that location is certainly a good one.

if it is just a donation to the city, i would rather he put that money into the museum to be honest, but hopefully they both work out....

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:48 PM
Closed account

The supporting structure for the roof panels makes a reference to the esplanade riel, which is a bit interesting. Maybe a coincidence. Esplanade was Gaboury, right?

And yes VOR, after researching a bit about international soccer pitches, I don't think that will be a concern. Missed the WC U-20s by one year if they actually get this built by 2008.

Last edited by fengshui; Jan 14, 2007 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 8:54 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wtf are the priorities of the aspers? in refrince to the museam... and such

anyhow ours will pwn torontos

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
...Of course, I'd support any new sporting franchise coming to Winnipeg ...but I just don't think Winnipeg could come close to giving anything near an adequate level of support for an MLS franchise.
This stadium would be around for a good 30 years....a lot of things can happen in that time. Winnipeg needs to make sure that it doesn't make the same mistake as it did with MTS, and build a smaller rink beecause they assumed the NHL market would never change again to support Winnipeg (something that might still be a very hard sell, but today Winnipeg is a lot more viable than it was even 3 years ago).

If it can support MLS or a future international soccer game, great. Better safe than sorry.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 10:38 PM
the first stamp is free

I think this new stadium design is quite elegant. Any word on whether it will be artificial or real grass?

It will be interesting to see how the tensioned fabric roof behaves with snow/wind loads in -30C temps... I hope they get a beefy warranty on the fabric .

I really hope this project goes through, but it does seem a bit grandiose in places. That elevated exit ramp will NEVER happen, and I think it's odd they even bothered with it in the proposal. My money is on that being the first thing dropped when the design gets more finalized.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 10:55 PM
Density and complexity

I certainly am not holding my breath in anticipation for this to be built, but I'm glad to hear that talk of a new stadium now calls for it to be built on its current site, which is Winnipeg's optimal location for a large football stadium.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 11:07 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:

My post in the regular Winnipeg construction thread didn't go into much detail other than the fact that I hate it and hope it's not the final design (and I think people are just excited about it just because we really need a new stadium and will take anything that might possibly get built at this point)

Now, they say it's partially covered, but if you look at it, it won't protect you from anything Winnipeg will throw at you. I think the blue arches look neat, but would rather have some sort of material between the arches acting as protection from the elements. And they could have two smaller gold arches on the other side, that'd look neat perhaps.

Another thing I don't like is that it doesn't look expandable or upgradable. If it's going to be built I'd like for such options to be left open.

I also feel that the ballpark and mts centre do a good job of integrating into their surroundings, offering excellent concessions and places to mingle with other fans. This stadium doesn't seem to let people explore, it just seems to be a bunch of seats, and stairs, like the current stadium, and in the same location while serviceable Doesn't offer much of a view.

Those are my impressions. I hope if Asper gets his way they at least work on the design to reflect the city more and also think more about why the current arena and ballpark are liked. (I think the people also got to give a lot of input into those facilities as well, poll the bomber fans in the city for a concensus. Don't just build the first thing you come up with)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 12:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres a vidio of the stadium on http://www.blueandgold.ca

david asper is puting up 65million not 40 and the stadium will cost 140 million not 120

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 12:43 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
theres a vidio of the stadium on http://www.blueandgold.ca

david asper is puting up 65million not 40 and the stadium will cost 140 million not 120
The stadium portion is 120 the remiander covers the retail portion.. for a total cost of 145Mill.

The retail portion will be covered completely by Asper, including the parkade. The Stadium portion which will be intragated with the retail portion will be covered by Asper and the Gov't. From what I have heard the Feds and the province are supportive of the concept, but will wait until the Bombers deside what they want to annouce any support, as not to add any influence.

Last edited by newflyer; Jan 15, 2007 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 12:55 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
newfie, youre right...i shouldnt have been so harsh...the aspers are great philanthropists...my comments were about their grand construction projects, which are 0 for 2 so far.

no bitterness here....if winnipeg gets a new stadium, i am happy...my boss may think otherwise....i dont like working on huge projects like that anyways...

i have to say that i am still skeptical about the motive....this is basically a 40 million dollar charitable donation....i am looking for the reasoning.

the only thing i can think of is that the retail component, which seems to be built with the $120m becomes part of the asper portfolio and he projects the revenue from that will pay back his money.

i wonder if the government will balk at paying to build a retail development for a private investor.

as a side note, that drawing is not of a $120m stadium, especially if you include the retail component.

this is what is being built in toronto for 70 million (20 000 seats)

that being said, the drawings are cool (are they ray wan rent-a-renderings?).....it sure would be great to have a new stadium....and that location is certainly a good one.

if it is just a donation to the city, i would rather he put that money into the museum to be honest, but hopefully they both work out....
Asper has conducted feasabilty studies I can assure you. He has stated that he does expect this project to be profitable.

With that said it is also about a family who wants to invest there money into there home city. This is also the reason why the musuem is being funded by a large sum of there money. The musuem will never be profitable, but it is a big city attraction which the Aspers wanted Winnipeg to have. Its a gift.. pure and simple. They have a great deal of money and want to put it towards Winnipegs's benefit.

The same goes for the Asper medical reseach institute... the Asper School of business ... the Lyric Stage at Assinaboine park.... none of which will garner one single dollar of return to the Asper family. Its all to improve Winnipeg's quality of life. This also does not cover the significant support to a series of other organizations they support.. of which have no return beyond making the city a better place to live.

This stadium will make a minimal profit, most of which I'd expect to be funneled into other community projects.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 12:56 AM

Check out www.blueandgold.ca There's a video of the stadium design and more info.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan