HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 1:02 AM
JerryK

Thats excellent, Id like to see a 50 thou stadium though Congrats to the Peg

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 1:05 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
It looks better from this vantage point (the one we all end up seing )

still, I just can't get over the minimal effort to protect the fans from the elements. This IS Winnipeg after all.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 1:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post

still, I just can't get over the minimal effort to protect the fans from the elements. This IS Winnipeg after all.
As a season ticket holder, I can only remember a few games over the last few years where one even needed to be protected from the elements. Most games are in 25 degree weather, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 late season games. I would much rather watch a game in the sun, in the fresh summer air, than in a shaded, covered dome...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 3:31 AM

Hooray! A New Stadium!

To be honest, I am not a football fan, but I am a believer of Winnipeg! Those pictures above look wicked better than the originals! I live less than 10 minutes from the current stadium and anything/any investment is welcomed by me. Traffic will have to be better managed though (especially during Saturdays and Sundays), perhaps a partnership between Asper/Blue Bombers, Polo Park and the City? I was a bit disappointed when the proposed stadium "OUTSIDE Winnipeg but for Winnipeg" was "left alone", but I'm all in ditching that plan in favour of this one. Sam Katz (Mayor) won't have an excuse this time to not "help", since this time it's "IN Winnipeg for Winnipeg"! I have yet to see the video, but I shall do that right after this.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 3:36 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
As a season ticket holder, I can only remember a few games over the last few years where one even needed to be protected from the elements. Most games are in 25 degree weather, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 late season games. I would much rather watch a game in the sun, in the fresh summer air, than in a shaded, covered dome...
Yes, but you're already going even with the current stadium. However, most people are not so forgiving as you are of weather conditions for a variety of reasons. Especially out of towners attending grey cup games in -40 weather. I'm not saying it has to be a covered dome, but clearly something more than whats been presented needs to be done to protect from the elements.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 4:30 AM
surely you agree with me

i wouldnt hold my breath for natural grass...even our supposed national soccer specific stadium in toronto is plastic....the only one in the MLS.

winnipeg needs more billionairres.....keep going aspers...get that museum built too!

now we need to convince the richardsons to buy an NHL team to keep pace with their rivals.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 4:41 AM

Here's hoping you get it built, Winnipeg... and set a precedent for the rest of the league.

I'd have no problem buying Stamps season tickets if they'd build something worth sitting in... untill that day, I'll keep spending my money flying to Houston, Seattle and Denver to watch live football games!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 4:49 AM
Movin' on up

Perhaps the whole lack of parking concept is meant to encourage people to use transit, but then again...................................maybe just bad planning for that aspect of the project is more likely.

Otherwise, kick-ass is what it is. You know it's of great quality when those from Canada's other large centres are praising Winnipeg lol

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 4:51 AM

I like the location, the design is ok (what do i know about design), but am i looking at it right? Does that retail NOT have a huge parking lot in front of it? Good lord. Is that allowed in Polo Park-land?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 5:04 AM

From www.blueandgold.ca, there will be a two level, 2000 stall parkade and an integrated transit corridor and a bomber walk of fame, which are added bonuses. Hopefully the exit ramp will improve traffic flow in that area.

Last edited by richy_282; Jan 16, 2007 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I think this new stadium design is quite elegant. Any word on whether it will be artificial or real grass?

It will be interesting to see how the tensioned fabric roof behaves with snow/wind loads in -30C temps... I hope they get a beefy warranty on the fabric .

I really hope this project goes through, but it does seem a bit grandiose in places. [B] That elevated exit ramp will NEVER happen, and I think it's odd they even bothered with it in the proposal. My money is on that being the first thing dropped when the design gets more finalized[/B].
That's what I was thinking too, wouldn't mind seeing it though.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 5:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
That's what I was thinking too, wouldn't mind seeing it though.
it would be cool.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post

I don't think that's a huge problem when it comes to climate. I think a bigger problem is where the stadium is accessed. I would like to see the built up area of the stadium extend further to the corners so that you don't get these wind-swept plazas. Maybe put some more retail, offices to make it more on a human scale

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 3:30 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Congrats Winnipeg! looks first class!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 4:14 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post

exactly.....

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 4:29 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

*double post*

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jan 16, 2007 at 2:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 4:30 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i wouldnt hold my breath for natural grass...even our supposed national soccer specific stadium in toronto is plastic....the only one in the MLS.

winnipeg needs more billionairres.....keep going aspers...get that museum built too!

now we need to convince the richardsons to buy an NHL team to keep pace with their rivals.
That new Poly Turf that's making its way to professional sporting venues is something that leaves much to be desired. Apparently, it leaves the bottom of your shoes feeling sticky.

I follow horse racing quite closely, and for the last year and a half big American tracks with a turf course have switched over to this new type of racing surface.

Poly Turf has been known to cut up horses quite badly. What will happen is one horse will take the lead and kick up the artificial turf, throwing it in the eyes and ears of the horses behind the leader.

The other horses end up all cut and bloody.

In any case, I think Poly Turf is a fad.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 10:14 PM

Very Nice

This stadium would set the standard in Canada for CFL and soccer.

I bet Calgary would step up after jealousy sets in...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2007, 10:21 PM

I love taylor field, but we badly need a new stadium

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan