HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerkled View Post
This one seems abit interesting.

The Winnipeg Football Club for the past five to six years has taken steps to develop a long-term strategy to ensure the financial viability and sustainability of professional football in Winnipeg.

Inherent in those deliberations has been consideration of the need for either a new or upgraded facility and the creation of additional sources of revenue for the team.

The board of directors had previously made a decision to retain architectural consultants and financial consultants with a view to preparing and delivering to interested parties a request or expression of interest relating to the development or re-development of the current stadium site.

This process was initiated several months ago and we’re pleased to present this update on the status of the project.

With the recent success of the football club both on and off the field, the time is right to consider this initiative. The football club will soon issue a call for proposals to prospective partners regarding this proposed project.

The board and management of the Winnipeg Football Club believe it’s in the best interests of the organization and its fans to work towards providing a first class facility and thereby ensure the future of Winnipeg Blue Bombers football in the community for many years to come. Listed below are details of what the proposed redevelopment might look like.

Please bear in mind, this is just one of many possible designs for a redeveloped Canad Inns Stadium.

The Winnipeg Football Club

Retail / Commercial / Sports venue integration
The Stadium Site re-development initiative builds on the history of the original stadium with a novel concept for an integrated commercial/retail and sports venue.

Game day excitement
The excitement of game day will build around the highly accessible and visible commercial/retail shops and the newly landscaped Stadium Plaza.

Pre-game atmosphere
Imagine walking down St. James before the big game while the teams’ warm-up exercises are projected onto giant screens mounted on surrounding buildings, or the excited crowds of early-bird fans in the many bars and restaurants flanking the new ‘Bomber Mile’ plaza.

New Luxury boxes
For those who enjoy the social atmosphere of a private box, the new development is crowned by a new commercial/retail complex and potential hotel, which will house 20 new luxury boxes.

Approach and entrance to Stadium
Approaching the stadium will be an exciting new experience. To the south, the Stadium Plaza will welcome fans with a vibrant atmosphere enhanced by the Jumbotron screen and ticket kiosks. The fans excitement will build as they ascend to the elevated secondary entrances, which present a breathtaking view of the playing field below.

Winter activities
In the winter, the playing field will be transformed into a large-scale skating rink of unequalled grandeur in Winnipeg. This location will be a beloved community meeting place during the cold months and will attract an eager crowd of shoppers and diners to the adjacent commercial venues and restaurants.

Activities during no-game days
The hotel and retail/commercial areas will be lively all-year round. Attractive shops and a wide variety of restaurants will draw visitors of all ages. Conferences, fairs, and exhibitions at the hotel may expand into the various plazas, providing for a more lively meeting experience.

Relationship of stadium and surrounding area
The stadium is integrated into the scale of the surrounding area, creating a welcoming atmosphere for potential visitors and tourists in the street.

Spectacular NEW glass roof
The beautiful new glass roof over the bleachers, extending north to south beyond the seating area, provides shelter for the plazas. Visitors will marvel at the bright, light glass and metal structure that shows off our prairie sky to its best.

Upgraded seats
The upgraded and expanded seating area will welcome up to 30,000 visitors, providing them with a comfortable and modern vista from which they can take in the game. The washroom facilities will be upgraded in a similarly modern, clean style.

Upgraded concessions
Fans will appreciate the delicious new offerings and traditional favourites at the new concession areas.

Club seating
VIP guests will gather in the expanded club-seating area, which will seat 3,000 special visitors.

State-of-the-art Video and Sound System
The avid sports fan will be greeted at the entrances by the high-quality new audio and visual systems, which are also spread throughout the stadium, ensuring the ultimate in sports excitement.

Surface parking and underground parking
Hotel, commercial/retail and stadium parking will accommodate 1,000 guests in surface and underground parking, allowing for easy arrival and departure.

holy shit!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:49 AM
the first stamp is free

I'll vote for the one that can actually get built.

Somehow I doubt it will be the one with the glass atrium covering the stands...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 6:22 AM
ILYR

Regardless of which one gets built, it will probably go through numerous design changes, much like the MTS Centre did. The key is that something gets built that will be a significant improvement over the existing one.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 7:03 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerkled View Post
T

Neat.

Weird, but neat. I'd assume the glass roof's would be plexiglass, but an interesting contrast to the Asper proposal. I think if they combined some of the ideas they'd get the ideal stadium.

Plus it'd be nice if it were possible to design it so that adding a roof some time in the distant future would be relatively simple.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 7:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILYR View Post
Regardless of which one gets built, it will probably go through numerous design changes, much like the MTS Centre did. The key is that something gets built that will be a significant improvement over the existing one.
probly

man i loved drafting class at tec voc we got to see some sweet stuff... g 3d model for mts center and later drawings.......... tour of number 10 and smith carter curious does viking have a cubical in the midle or an office to himself?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 7:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Home news CJOB News
Governments Non-Committal So Far on Stadium
JAN 15 2007 02:20 PM
Bookmark Page Bookmark Page Email page to a friend Email to a friend Print Page Print Page

Click for RSS xml About RSS

Premier Gary Doer is not making any commitments towards business mogul David Asper's proposal to build a new football stadium in Winnipeg.

Asper is offering to build a new 145 million dollar facility with 80 million of the bill being paid for, by the Province and Ottawa.

Premier Gary Doer is taking a cautious approach towards the proposal.

(play audio)

Treasury Board President and Manitoba MP Vic Toews says his government has yet to receive a formal funding request.

CJOB's Jeff Keele reporting.

now if some one would dam well releas the feazibility study the bombers had done............

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 2:53 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Home news CJOB News
Governments Non-Committal So Far on Stadium
JAN 15 2007 02:20 PM
Bookmark Page Bookmark Page Email page to a friend Email to a friend Print Page Print Page

Click for RSS xml About RSS

Premier Gary Doer is not making any commitments towards business mogul David Asper's proposal to build a new football stadium in Winnipeg.

Asper is offering to build a new 145 million dollar facility with 80 million of the bill being paid for, by the Province and Ottawa.

Premier Gary Doer is taking a cautious approach towards the proposal.

(play audio)

Treasury Board President and Manitoba MP Vic Toews says his government has yet to receive a formal funding request.

CJOB's Jeff Keele reporting.

now if some one would dam well releas the feazibility study the bombers had done............

Again, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. That is why I have my doubts that this thing may get built in the near futur, if at all.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 3:23 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

there will be no formal funding requests until the bombers okay the "takeover"

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 3:41 PM

Asper's Stadium Vs Bomber Board of Directors' Stadium

Seating
Asper - 30 000 - 40 000 seats
Bomber - 30 000 seats

Source of Financial Stability for the Bombers
Asper - Retail development along Empress
Bomber - Retail development within and a Hotel (20 Storeys)

Total On-site Parking
Asper - 2000 Stall Parking (2 level Parkade)
Bomber - Can Accomodate up to 1000 guests (Surface and Underground)

Interuptions to Football Seasons
Asper - No
Bomber - ???

Bomber - From renderings, the stadium looks like it will be built in the existing position

Non-Game Day Activities
Asper - Retail/Commercial
Bomber - Retail/Commercial, Hotel functions, and Skating Rink (Winter)

Roof (Though both stadiums are only partially covered)
Asper - Looks like some kind of fabric (Not transparent) --- perhaps taken from the BC Lions' stadium
Bomber - Glass (of amazing strength) - Can view the "prairie sky" as Bomber Board of Directors say

Anticipated "First Kick-off"
Asper - Fall 2008
Bomber - ???

Ownership
Asper - From Public into "his"
Bomber - ??? (Most likely to remain public)

Cost and Funding
Asper - 120 million (40 Feds, 40 Province, 65 Asper)
Bomber - ??? (I would expect it to include public-tax money since the bombers have just recovered from millions of dollars in debt)

Extras
Asper - Bomber "Walk of Fame", overpass to Ness Avenue, Integrated Transit Corridor
Bomber - Giant Television Screens along St. James showing how the teams are warming up for the game

Some Numbers and Figures
Asper - 217 000 sq. ft. retail space (2 floors), 23 000 sq. ft restaurant pad, 13 concession stands, 24 private suites
Bomber - 429 815 sq. ft. retail/office space (4 floors), 594 400 sq. ft. hotel (20 storeys), 40 304 sq. ft. "boxes" (2 storeys)

My Opinion
Mr. Asper has put a lot of work into his proposal, not to mention the cash and his plan has fewer ??? in comparision to the Bomber Board of Directors' Plan. The BBOD don't really have not released any dates or sources of funding/ cost figures. However, both plans have cool ideas. I really like the "walk of fame" and the winter ice rink. I'm not really in favour of a 20 storey hotel at the stadium, but apprecitate the commercial development. Seems as though the BBOD traded on site parking for that hotel and larger commercial/retail spaces. Both materials in the roof have pros and cons. The glass gives the stadium openness but not shade and vice versa for the Asper's roof. As for overall design/appeal....I'd say I would have to go with Asper's, it looks more modern. If I missed any important comparision, feel free to add on.

Information taken from www.blueandgold.ca and http://www.bluebombers.com/

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
.......... tour of number 10 and smith carter curious does viking have a cubical in the midle or an office to himself?
Hey viking, how much do you pay this guy?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 4:22 PM

I would take the bomber proposal hands down over the asper proposal. No comparison.
Glass roofs aren't actually all that uncommon, but likely in the end a polycarbonate panel would be chosen, which is cheaper, lighter, more durable, but slightly less transparent. (similar to what was done for the Athens Olympic stadium)

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 6:11 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

*sniff sniff* yep. smells like a bid to help bring the 2018 FIFA World Cup to Canada and have games in Winnipeg. (or maybe thats just cause i'm soccer mad right now).

i prefer the Asper's design to the Bombers design, but either one would be amazing.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:33 AM
visionary

i applaud asper for his proposal the retail componant is awesome and the manitoba and blue bomber hall of fame is a nice touch and a Permanent “be a player” fan-interactive exhibition.

though I think there will be cost overruns. And his projected construction date seems odd. The site proposed is obviouisly doable.

I would of liked of seen the endzones covered as well not just the east and west side grandstands and have a hotel and waterpark tied to it

However as a downtown booster I wish it would be more downtown like by waterfont off higgins. Or better yet make it skydome by having the convention centre and true north have a partnership in it and built it close to convention centre to stage more exhibitons and what not. A parternship means more money off tax payers hands. Heck add VLTS to it to strenghthen the deal. Maybe the city can trade the polopark site or strike a deal to build it downtown.

Heck if hells freezes over we can have the jets play in front of 30-40,000 fans cheer for the hockey team come playoff time.

Actualy with the dome they could probably make an olympic ice oval in the in the winter and golf dome (for drives), and track and field, tennis courts and a soccer field.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotterpin View Post
Hey viking, how much do you pay this guy?
WTF?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:08 PM

I sure hope one or the other gets built. I think they should go for 40,000 seats or more, with a design which would allow for temporary seats to incerase seating. I wish they would enclose it but I guess that would be too much for construction and ongoing operation.

Well done Winnipeg, now go for it!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 5:58 PM

I think both designs are great, but I like the bomber one more.

More seating on the sidelines and less in the endzone = better football experience.

Also, I don't think having 40,000 perminent seats is a good idea. If they go with the larger capacity, then the Bombers had better be able to fill all 40,000 seats every game, because there's nothing worse than going to a football game in a huge stadium that's half empty *cough cough* Toronto. Absolutely no atmosphere

The bomber proposal is better because it has less seating, but can be expanded if the demand is there

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 8:31 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
I think both designs are great, but I like the bomber one more.

More seating on the sidelines and less in the endzone = better football experience.

Also, I don't think having 40,000 perminent seats is a good idea. If they go with the larger capacity, then the Bombers had better be able to fill all 40,000 seats every game, because there's nothing worse than going to a football game in a huge stadium that's half empty *cough cough* Toronto. Absolutely no atmosphere

The bomber proposal is better because it has less seating, but can be expanded if the demand is there
We get a new Quarterback, and we could fill 40,000 seats easy.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 11:30 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
We get a new Quarterback, and we could fill 40,000 seats easy.
I agree. 40,000 is easy to fill especially with it being a new stadium. There are a LOT of bomber fans not going to games now just because they hate the current stadium. Some who wouldn't mind a domed stadium.

Personally I think if they don't build a dome, the final design they choose should make some sort of dome/roof addition far off in the future do-able without rebuilding from scratch again.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 11:38 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I agree. 40,000 is easy to fill especially with it being a new stadium. There are a LOT of bomber fans not going to games now just because they hate the current stadium. Some who wouldn't mind a domed stadium.

Personally I think if they don't build a dome, the final design they choose should make some sort of dome/roof addition far off in the future do-able without rebuilding from scratch again.

somehow that makes alot of sense are u from winnipeg lol

Old Posted Jan 17, 2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post

fans that refuse to go to the game because they don't like the stadium? Sounds like bandwagon fans to me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan