HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 7:23 PM

Expert discusses how to attract Young and Restless
winnipegfirst.ca

Attracting young, mobile, highly educated workers to Winnipeg was the focus of the keynote speech this morning at the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce's Leadercon 07 conference.

American economist Joseph Cortright, who has written about the factors that cause the 25 to 34 age group to migrate from one city to another, spoke to a business audience about ways to stem the brain drain.

With baby boomers set to retire, the number of women in the workforce at a plateau, and no significant increase foreseen in college attainability, there is a major workforce shortage on the horizon for North America, Cortright says.

According to Cortright's research, by a two-to-one margin, people choose where they would like to live and then try to find work, rather than the opposite.

Cities that are welcoming to new and diverse people and ideas, that strive to be the best at something, and take risks to achieve their goals are the most attractive, says Cortright.

Another finding is that the "Creative Class" is increasing interested in living within three miles of a city's central business district.

Creating vibrant urban neighbourhoods is a major magnet for the types of young professionals who will stay permanently in a city and help its economy grow.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 11:22 PM
Capitalist

Thu, May 17, 2007

New Flyer signs deal for 715 buses

New Flyer Industries has signed a deal to produce up to 715 buses for an American public transit agency in a deal that could be worth as much as US $514 million.

The Winnipeg-based manufacturer was recently awarded a contract for 22 hybrid buses and up to 493 diesel or hybrid buses for King County Metro in Seattle. The contract also includes up to 200 "assignable option" buses.

In 2003, Kind County ordered 213 hybrid buses from New Flyer, the largest-ever order of hybrid buses at the time.

"This is very gratifying for New Flyer," said New Flyer president and CEO John Marinucci in a press release. "It shows tremendous confidence in our innovative hybrid product line."

New Flyer is one of the leading manufacturers of heavy-duty transit buses in North America.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 11:24 PM
Capitalist

Congrats to Seatle on buying some very great buses!! .. looks good with your mocha java.

Last edited by newflyer; May 18, 2007 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 1:31 AM

Its nice to know our Provinces and our Cities' economy is growing. Thats some interesting information. We sure are turning into a "have" province. All we need is some oil and Mr. Bush and we're set!

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 1:37 PM
What could go wrong?

Winnipeg is starting to lose reputation as wholesale town

Fri May 18 2007

By Martin Cash

According to some, the first four years of Destination Winnipeg's existence has coincided with the city starting to lose its reputation as a wholesale town.

"That's a good thing," said Bob Silver, outgoing chairman of the city's economic development agency. "I hope Winnipeg becomes a retail city. In five years' time I hope people are still talking about rising house prices because that will mean a stronger economy."

The annual general meeting of Destination Winnipeg is typically an occasion for feel-good pats on the back to staff, volunteers and the city fathers.

But at this year's event on Thursday, the organization had an impressive number of achievements to point to, not least of which is rising real estate prices in the last few years after a decade of no growth.

Destination Winnipeg, whose responsibility is to market the city and help facilitate economic development and tourism, is funded primarily by the city and the province in equal portions. Its annual budget was increased by five per cent last year to $3.2 million.

Silver (who owns a substantial share of the Winnipeg Free Press) said achievements in the city have come about because of a collective will to get them done and suggested that the city will need more of that in the future.

He reminded the audience about naysayers who denigrated the idea of Esplanade Riel, the construction of the MTS Centre and Waterfront Drive, noting that all of them are now seen as significant landmarks in the city.

"We spent so much time worrying about the cost of a toilet (on the Esplanade Riel)," Silver said. "It's time to get off the toilet and start talking about the bridge."

The agency has completed its first three year plan recording growth in the number of visitors to the city and the number of meetings and conventions between 2003 and 2006.

Silver, who is stepping down as chairman of the board in August, said the agency does not take credit for the city's achievements.

"It is a continuum," he said. "We are on a track and we keep going."

That track has seen the city host the 2005 Juno Awards, the 2006 Grey Cup and the 2007 World Women's Hockey Championship, all of which Destination Winnipeg helped organize.

The city already has the 2008 Canadian Country Music Awards and the 2008 Tim Horton's Briars curling tournament lined up.

Construction of the Manitoba Hydro tower on Portage Avenue and development of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights are seen as important events for the city to work with.

Stuart Duncan, CEO of Destination Winnipeg, said what's even more important than past successes are excellent new opportunities on the horizon.

"The Canadian Human Rights Museum is the kind of attraction that could generate a lot of attention for group tours to the city," he said.

For instance, the student and youth tour business is worth $10 billion annually in Canada. He said the new museum in Winnipeg is an ideal draw for that market.

martin.cash@freepress.mb.ca

What a difference

three years make

In 2003 Destination Winnipeg set out a three- year plan to help grow the Winnipeg economy. Comparing levels in 2003 to 2006 shows significant growth in the city.

2003 to 2006 increases

GDP 8.2 per cent

Retail sales 22.3 per cent

Building permit values 32.2 per cent

Overnight tourism

spending 11.6 per cent

Personal disposable

income (per capita) 11.7 per cent

Population 1.4 per cent

Employment 3.2 per cent

-- Source: Statistics Canada and

Conference Board of Canada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© 2007 Winnipeg Free Press. All Rights Reserved

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 10:20 PM
Capitalist

Things are really picking up.

You can really see momentum taking off, which is a very good thing. I can even sense a level of confidence, which has been missing since the Jets left town.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 2:02 AM
BANNED

Yes. Having the stigma "wholesale town" may have been fine 100 years ago, but not today.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 2:01 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diva View Post
Yes. Having the stigma "wholesale town" may have been fine 100 years ago, but not today.
I remember hearing a news story which refered to Winnipeg as a discount city. Its not exactly inspiring to be the K-Mart.. or the Giant Tiger.. of the nation.

Bring on some quality retailers.

Old Posted May 19, 2007, 6:11 PM
BANNED

I would take K-Mart over any dollar store or Giant Tiger any day...

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 2:38 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diva View Post
I would take K-Mart over any dollar store or Giant Tiger any day...
Okay you are right, but still wouldn't brag if my clothes were from K-Mart.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 3:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
K mart is in the usa......

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 10:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
But, but...Jaclyn Smith's line of clothing is at Kmart...and I love Jaclyn Smith....GO KELLY!

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 7:32 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
K mart is in the usa......
Used to be in Canada when I was growing up, but the company was retracting due to hard financial times.

I remember going to the store at Portage and Cavalier all the time. Its now a Safeway.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 9:17 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Used to be in Canada when I was growing up, but the company was retracting due to hard financial times.

I remember going to the store at Portage and Cavalier all the time. Its now a Safeway.
north gate had a K mart did it not befor it became zellars?

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 9:44 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
I remember hearing a news story which refered to Winnipeg as a discount city.
Pffft. Bullshit. Thunder Bay blows Winnipeg out of the water when it comes to dollar stores per capita! We have at least 20 of them!

Yet we still lack a Giant Tiger.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Pffft. Bullshit. Thunder Bay blows Winnipeg out of the water when it comes to dollar stores per capita! We have at least 20 of them!

Yet we still lack a Giant Tiger.
Once again, it takes a non Winnipegger to tell the Winnipeggers that all ain't so bad here! Typical. I think Winnipeggers invented self deprecation as a hobby.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 2:39 AM

Instead of complaining, we should brag about all the nice specilizied bouteques on Osborne I drove past today. Like the Mix Tape, or The Crypt. No, I am not goth...

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 2:51 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post
Once again, it takes a non Winnipegger to tell the Winnipeggers that all ain't so bad here! Typical. I think Winnipeggers invented self deprecation as a hobby.
"I could be worse. You could be Thunder Bay."

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 3:41 AM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post

you got that right, that kind of negative attitude just gets me to wanna move.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 4:22 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
OT: today i saw a tv channel, Shaw Channel 9, and it was very nice, thy showed a lot of things going on in Winterpeg.
Videon's VPW and Greater Winnipeg Cablevision's GWC11 were much better, but you either didn't live here at the time or are too young to remember.

SHAW9 is nothing more than infotainment that is nothing different than reality-tv like programming but on a local level. VPW & GWC had interview shows about Winnipeg, cultural, political, historical produced by the regular citizens of Winnipeg, not some fashion model. Here's some clips:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=239529D976AB43A2

Especially watch this clip, as it shows what equipment and help were available to produce local:
VPW11 Open - 1988

And tomorrow I'll be adding another clip from VPW11. This one is from sometime in 1991 where Federal MP Dorothy Dobbie (PC Fort Garry) is interviewing Nick Diakiw about The Forks... development at the time and plans for the future... lots of footage of 1991 era Forks in there. Dorothy used this as a tool to communicate to her constituents... Nowadays though, politicians are starting to use YouTube...

Last edited by LilZebra; May 21, 2007 at 4:41 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan