HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 12:17 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
hahahha funny guy. The building is not a gem btw, it's an eyesore IMHO.
not an eye sore anymore since its going to be ocupided

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 1:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

destination winnipeg has sent a request to dan harper for 60 images (newflyer i know you will like this)

www.danharperphotography.com

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 2:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

anyone know what building in the exchange this was in? some time in the 70s from the trubne colection...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 3:34 AM
Starring as himself

Is it the inside of Townsite, which was a sort of mall that was located in the Travellers Building for a couple of years? I don't think I was ever there but it was sort of an early version of the Forks. I'm not sure, though.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 3:42 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Q2 (as of June) Stats Canada lists Winnipeg(CMA) at 706,700.
wow...that means winnipeg grew by 11 000 in one year....considering we grew by only 18 000 in the 5 years previous combined, that could be considered substantial.

spiritedenergy (ironic handle)...you and lee haber are like twin brother cranky pants....

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 3:58 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Is it the inside of Townsite, which was a sort of mall that was located in the Travellers Building for a couple of years? I don't think I was ever there but it was sort of an early version of the Forks. I'm not sure, though.
no idea some one on newwinnipeg was asking about it lol

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
wow...that means winnipeg grew by 11 000 in one year....considering we grew by only 18 000 in the 5 years previous combined, that could be considered substantial.

spiritedenergy (ironic handle)...you and lee haber are like twin brother cranky pants....
Something like this happened a few years ago. Winnipeg apparently grew by something like 12000 in one year. Turns out it was just stats can correcting for an undercount in the census. This might be something similar.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2007, 6:34 AM
surely you agree with me

it does seem a bit much, but with the actual census happening only a year ago and with all the supporting evidence that has been presented, including the inter-provincial migration numbers and the immigration totals it could be plausible....if manitoba grew by 12 000, you would expect 8-9 000 would be to winnipeg and another couple of thousand could come from birth rate and migration from within manitoba.

either way it is good news that we are finally growing more than the customary .01% of a decade ago.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 12:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol
Video Link

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 3:43 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
I guess using Sask formers logic Manitoba is the greatest place on earth.

With the economy humming along.. and taxes declining I am happy to see things picking up. Confidence is Manitoba is gaining steam... and Winnipeg gains from Manitoba's growth.

While Manitoba gains from Winnipeg's growing economy... its all good.
Maybe the Gouge & Screw Tax is going down a percentage come Jan. 1, 2008, but my CPP Premium and the Minimum Wage will take what savings I had.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 5:54 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
destination winnipeg has sent a request to dan harper for 60 images (newflyer i know you will like this)

www.danharperphotography.com
Oh yeah .. he is an amazing photographer!!

Lets hope Destination Winnipeg website gets a big upgrade.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 1:36 PM
Creative Accountant

'I think this city is moving forward'

Wed Jan 2 2008

by Chris Webb and Tania Kohut

Zach Regiec, Red River College student

I'm always optimistic about our city because without hope there is not really much else. Hope keeps you focused. Things are improving. I just wish the politicians, thinkers, academics, and the well-to-do's could get their acts together and help out the less fortunate at a way quicker pace.

I drove down Main Street by Higgins the other day and realized I have been making that drive for over 20 years and the cycle of poverty there is still atrocious.

Roland Landry, Lorette grain farmer

2007 was not really a great year, and our yields were really low because of rains early in the season. The grain prices are pretty great right now but, with input costs like fuel and chemicals going up, it's becoming more difficult.

Farmers are optimistic for 2008 because the demand for ethanol fuel is also pushing up the demand for grain. For all the talk of grain prices being so high, the most a Canadian farmer can make is $6 per bushel for wheat, so people shouldn't be blaming farmers for rising food prices because it's not their fault.

Sean Garrity, Winnipeg filmmaker

I'm optimistic that with the rising dollar that offshore production might let off a little here in Winnipeg and business and government will start investing in their own indigenous filmmakers.

On the city side, I'm pretty pessimistic about what Sam Katz is doing at city hall. I think his policies are reactionary and serve his upper middle class constituents in their fat SUVs, which is very unfortunate given that the previous administration had fairly progressive policies.

Coun. Jenny Gerbasi, Fort Rouge

I'm optimistic that Winnipeg has great potential as a city. I'm also pessimistic because this potential could be more actively cultivated, but mostly I'm realistic that we need to keep working hard to make this city better in 2008.

Ron Paley, jazz musician

I was born in Winnipeg in 1950, and I think this city is moving forward very positively and progressively. Jazz is definitely growing here in Winnipeg and it's thanks to a lot of people. Steve Kirby at the University of Manitoba deserves a lot of thanks, and at the high school level there are a lot of kids getting involved, and that spreads throughout the city and it inspires other kids to play.

David Jacks, U of W Students'Association president

The biggest thing that's going to affect students happens on Jan. 1, and that's transit fees going up by 25 cents. To students who rely on transit to get to school it's a big deal.

One other thing that I noticed in 2007 is the focus on downtown development has taken money away from the North End and West End. When young people come to Winnipeg, they say that it's cold and there's poverty, and that needs to change. Maybe the city should stop focusing on business tax cuts and then it wouldn't have to raise transit fees.

Jim Sanders, documentary filmmaker

In 2007 I have been working on a documentary film about aboriginal housing issues that showed me how profound social and economic inequalities and injustices are the foundation of our city. Unfortunately, the powers that be that run our city, have too much self-interest in maintaining their status and monopoly over resources and wealth.

The good news is that this is all coming to an end. One thing that I have learned from the various indigenous elders that I work with here in Manitoba, as well as in the Amazon, is that we are entering period where consciousness is shifting towards one of harmony and balance. This is all part of the known cycles of nature and the cosmos that many indigenous people are very aware of. So we are in the final years in which those driven by ego and greed will lose what was never theirs to begin with, and those that have remained humble and heart-driven will inherit a renewed Earth.
Why this is special for Winnipeg, is that our hometown just happens to be the site of the world's most ancient sacred gathering site and a place where many indigenous people prophesy will become the location for the renewal of a new global civilization built around peace.

Rachel Gotthilf, U of M student and former UMSU vice-president

I'm really disappointed in the way the city was run in 2007 and I'm even more worried about the direction it's heading in 2008. What Winnipeg really needs for students and residents is affordable transit system, and I really hope rapid transit is put back on the table in 2008. And if this city wants to keep students and young people around it really needs to invest in entertainment and the arts.

David Northcott, executive director, Winnipeg Harvest

2007 has been a difficult year for us and we see the economic difficulties that people face every day such as child poverty levels still being very high, but we have a sense of optimism for the new year.
Personally, I think we need to be on a municipal couch and examine our city's problems. We're a city of great promise with heroes who are never seen nor their stories ever told, we need to get over our sense of inferiority and embrace our city. It's a fascinating place with a lively arts community and it has great potential, so I think Winnipeggers should absolutely look at their city favourably in 2008. It's still fairly affordable to live and it's a great place to keep in touch with friends and family.

Jerry Shore, concert and event promoter

From the point of view of someone who deals in American dollars, the exchange rate has made it very favourable for us, anyone involved in the entertainment business in Canada.

With that soft American dollar, from the point of view of Canadians, 2008's going to be pretty good.

Mike Law, president, Manitoba Bar Association

I'm optimistic that the government will properly fund legal aid in 2008. What legal aid pays in Manitoba is the lowest in all of the country, it's just pathetic how little they pay and that is why so few lawyers take legal aid cases, that's why there's a big crisis. I'm hopeful the government will properly fund it so it's no longer an issue.

David Trach, lead singer, Mr. Boom

It's going to be a great year. Winnipeg's local scene is one of the best in Canada. Go support live local music, we have a lot a lot of original bands that are going to hit the big time soon. See them while you can, before they make it big.

Joanne Loughery, president, A Port in the Storm Inc.

This is going to be a very big year for us. We're heading into a provincial capital fundraising campaign. We are very excited about the generosity and volunteerism of Manitoba people for important causes such as ours. I guess I'm feeling very optimistic that 2008 will be a very successful and exciting year.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 8:39 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

So did they talk to every Pinko in the city?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 9:08 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post

So did they talk to every Pinko in the city?
Yearh really.

Winnipeggers' sunny side up
They're upbeat about city's future and their own finances, poll finds
Wed Jan 2 2008

By Larry Kusch

Winnipeg Free Press Photo
The city's superheated housing market could explain a lot of the optimism.
NEARLY 80 per cent of Winnipeggers are optimistic about the economic future of their city, and 85 per cent of Manitobans feel they're doing as well or better financially than they were a year ago, according to a Free Press/Jory Capital year-end poll.

Despite the prospect of a 2008 recession in the United States, which might have spillover effects for Canada, Manitobans believe they will be better off -- rather than worse off -- this time next year, the survey by Probe Research Inc. shows.
Patrick Cooney, chairman and CEO of Jory Capital Inc., said rising real estate prices are likely a big factor behind Winnipeggers' optimism.

"That's got to be 90 per cent of it," he said in an interview Monday.

Seventy-nine per cent of Winnipeggers surveyed late last year expressed optimism about the future of the city's economy, including 34 per cent who said they were "very optimistic."

That's up seven percentage points from March, when 72 per cent of city residents said they were optimistic about the city's economic future.
Jory and Probe have tracked these numbers quarterly for more than a decade, and they've seldom been higher. In December 2004, 82 per cent of city residents said they were optimistic about the city's future.

Scott MacKay, Probe's president, said that along with the buoyant housing market, last year's run-up of the Canadian dollar may also have been a factor in Winnipeggers' high confidence levels.

He noted that optimism among city residents rose steadily throughout the year as the loonie climbed to unprecedented heights against the U.S. greenback.

Thirty-five per cent of Manitobans surveyed late last year said they were better off than they were a year earlier, while 50 per cent said their financial position hadn't changed and 14 per cent said they were worse off.

"That's very consistent with the story on the optimism about the city's future," MacKay said, adding that rising home values are likely driving this result as well.

Dave Angus, president of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, said he's not surprised by the level of optimism Winnipeggers are feeling these days, which he ties to strong employment and a stable economy.

"We're seeing some substantial growth in different segments of our economy, so I think the overall perception locally is that we're on a very positive track."

Retail sales growth is also a benchmark of consumer confidence, Angus said, and "we've seen stellar retail growth over the last number of years, actually."

Manitobans, and particularly Winnipeggers, see the good economic times continuing over the next 12 months.
Thirty-seven per cent of Manitobans -- including 41 per cent of Winnipeggers -- said they thought they would be better off a year from now, while nine per cent felt they would be worse off and 50 per cent thought their household financial situation would remain the same as now.

Optimism about household finances over the next year was particularly high for Manitobans aged 18-34 (53 per cent), those with children in the home (47 per cent) and households earning $60,000 or more (44 per cent).

"Interestingly, core-area residents (55 per cent) were more likely than residents of other areas of Winnipeg to expect their households' finances to improve over the next 12 months," Jory and Probe said in a commentary accompanying the poll results.

larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 2:12 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Rachel Gotthilf, U of M student and former UMSU vice-president

I'm really disappointed in the way the city was run in 2007 and I'm even more worried about the direction it's heading in 2008. What Winnipeg really needs for students and residents is affordable transit system, and I really hope rapid transit is put back on the table in 2008. And if this city wants to keep students and young people around it really needs to invest in entertainment and the arts.
Notice no mention of building an economy which offers excellent employment oportunities. I guess Beavis plans to live in his mom's basement for life.

.. and as a welfare collector he plans on using his free bus pass.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 2:24 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Sean Garrity, Winnipeg filmmaker

I'm optimistic that with the rising dollar that offshore production might let off a little here in Winnipeg and business and government will start investing in their own indigenous filmmakers.

On the city side, I'm pretty pessimistic about what Sam Katz is doing at city hall. I think his policies are reactionary and serve his upper middle class constituents in their fat SUVs, which is very unfortunate given that the previous administration had fairly progressive policies.
Sounds alot like a guy who has lived off government grants to make his films...

Its really pathetic such mindless drivel gets any such attention. Since nearly 80 percent of citizens are feeling positive about the city and its direction .. it is obvious that this unknowlegable government dependant is in the tiny minority... with the city's rapidly declining union loving anti-business community... Murray, Gerbasi and Vandal was your champions I'm sure.

Please follow the other uninspired losers out of town... there is no place for you in today's modern Winnipeg. The economy is picking up... and he hates seeing the masses pass him by like the dirt on the sidelines of life.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 2:31 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

For all the talk of Winnipeg's prosperity the city really doesn't seem all that different to me than it did in the 90's.

Lots of government funded projects be it the Airport, Hydro or the CMHR and little in the way of significant private investment / construction happening right now.

However, I am encouraged to see a few entrepreneur's out there with the balls to invest in North Main and put their money where everyone else has their mouth.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 2:35 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
For all the talk of Winnipeg's prosperity the city really doesn't seem all that different to me than it did in the 90's.

Lots of government funded projects be it the Airport, Hydro or the CMHR and little in the way of significant private investment / construction happening right now.

However, I am encouraged to see a few entrepreneur's out there with the balls to invest in North Main and put their money where everyone else has their mouth.
FYI .. new airport terminal and possible new airport hotel and airport business centre is 100% private money. No government funds.

In my optinion this is the greatest project happening in Winnipeg as we speak .. and if the new hotel and business centre come to pass it will be even greater.

Winnipeg's economy is definately picking up speed and things haven't looked this promising for a very long time. Yes there are still government projects masking the reality, but in this case the reality is a growing economy with growing business investment.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 2:50 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
FYI .. new airport terminal and possible new airport hotel and airport business centre is 100% private money. No government funds.
Ok fine, but nobody would ever confuse Winnipeg's prosperity for Calgary's.

Now this on the other hand is prosperity..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg 1912 by Jim Blanchard
By 1870, 150 people were living in the neighbourhood of present day Portage and Main in about thirty houses; by 1880 a little over 4000 souls lived in the village that had already declared itself a city.

Attracted by the feverish real estate speculation attending the coming of the railroad , 13,000 people had crowded into the city by 1882.

[By 1912] the population tripled growing from 42,340 in 1901 to 136,035 in 1911. The city claimed the correct figure was actually 166,533, and this latter number is likely closer to the real population if the total includes the seasonal workers who lived in Winnipeg only in the winter and the residents of crowded tenements who were missed by the census takers.
Quote:
The Winnipeg of 1912 was an overwhelmingly commercial city that extended its influence over the whole prairie region, becoming for a time the metropolis of the west. Commerce employed 15,000 people the single largest category reported in the census.

The sumptuous, new, western headquarters buildings built by the eastern banks were impressive proof of the importance of Winnipeg to these institutions.

One eastern bank, the Union bank, even moved its headquarters to Winnipeg from Quebec.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jan 3, 2008 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 4:42 AM
Capitalist

I agree nothing compares to how Winnipeg was in the early 1900's. Calgary is no where close to that reality... even with its oil wealth.

I have read Winnipeg 1912 .. absolutely incredible how wealthy the city of Winnipeg was and how much respect it recieved as a city of importance.

Today we are still working at building the economy from decades of mismanagement.. but we are starting to see signs of economic confidence and growth, not seen for decades.

An economy can't be built over night, but over time momentum will grow, and as such we will see more significant levels of private investment increase.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan