HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Ryugyong Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Pyongyang Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 11:43 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

The Great Pyramid of Giza has survived much better over the milenia then this discrace has in 15 or so years

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 2:54 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

With all the recent construction accidents and crane collpases here in NYC and across the country, how on earth is the crane at the top of this hotel still standing after all these years, while the rest of the structure is crumbling?

I guess we can learn from the North Koreans on how to atleast keep a crane from collapsing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 4:20 PM

Crumbly concrete

Everyone always mentions that aside from the cost, this building was supposed to have been constructed with poor concrete making it unsafe and unfinishable. Where is the source for this? From what I can find, this is pure speculation. I can't find anything that points to some authority for the information. Although the same could be said for the idea that they ran out of money/energy/materials/etc. to complete it, at least if those were the reasons, then it could be restarted, whereas the concrete story suggests that nothing can be done for it. Does anyone know whether this information rises above outsider speculation?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Washburn View Post
Everyone always mentions that aside from the cost, this building was supposed to have been constructed with poor concrete making it unsafe and unfinishable. Where is the source for this? From what I can find, this is pure speculation. I can't find anything that points to some authority for the information. Although the same could be said for the idea that they ran out of money/energy/materials/etc. to complete it, at least if those were the reasons, then it could be restarted, whereas the concrete story suggests that nothing can be done for it. Does anyone know whether this information rises above outsider speculation?
We're talking about N. Korea here. The gov't is so sectretive about everything that its probably impossible to know for sure.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 7:19 PM
Closed account

Old Posted Jun 10, 2008, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
We're talking about N. Korea here. The gov't is so sectretive about everything that its probably impossible to know for sure.
Well, that's kind of what I mean. Why do people repeat the concrete notion as if it's fact? If there's nothing backing it up, it can be completely untrue. I was just wondering if perhaps there was some source to it. Perhaps an outside contractor that was involved with its construction, etc.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 6:14 PM
BANNED

Would they be able to blow up and implode this hotel structure with other buildings in such close proximity?

Or will they have to do mechanical demolition (demolishing it floor by floor) such as the DuetscheBank building in NYC?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 9:12 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Would they be able to blow up and implode this hotel structure with other buildings in such close proximity?

Or will they have to do mechanical demolition (demolishing it floor by floor) such as the DuetscheBank building in NYC?
No way you can implode a building that size. It's too big to control. 9/11 wasn't a controlled demolition, but it's about as orderly as a collapsing 100+ story building could be. Basically, everything within 2 blocks gets trashed.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
Wikipedia also confirms that they restarted work on it.
[/IMG]
Sorry, this is my laugh of the day. Since when is Wikipedia a valid source for a confirmation? Anybody can go and edit Wikipedia.

It is interesting that they have restarted work on the building. We will see how it plays out over the next year or so.

Tuy
Travelled to 19 Countries on Six Continents

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 6:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuy View Post
Sorry, this is my laugh of the day. Since when is Wikipedia a valid source for a confirmation? Anybody can go and edit Wikipedia.
Wikipedia also has a team of people that check the edits.

Having said that, I am also very skeptical this thing has actually restarted. That building was a huge fantasy to start with.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 6:28 PM
Editor

One thing I've noticed about this hotel that is really interesting. There are very few balconies.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 1:01 AM

I can recall reading an architectural magazine article on this that mentioned a bad mix of concrete. That was my only source about the concrete prior to reading any discussion of this project on this board. However, asside from a wikipedia entry, I don't want to be a source of perpetuating this piece of information.

It shouldn't even matter though whether it's fact or fiction for this particular project. Look at the state of disrepair it's in. I can't imagine anyone following this project with a shred of dedicated seriousness. It's so effed up.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 2:36 PM

http://ifes.kyungnam.ac.kr/eng/m05/s...efNO=207&GoP=1

ORASCOM AND DPRK TO COMPLETE RYUGYONG HOTEL CONSTRUCTION

Posted Date : 2008-05-20 (NK Brief No. 08-5-20-1)
Sources recently returning to China from Pyongyang have reported that North Korea has resumed efforts to complete the 105-story Ryugyong Hotel. With only 20 buildings in the world taller than the 330-meter structure, it would be by far the largest building in all of North Korea.

Baekdu Mountain Architects and Engineers began building the highrise in 1987 but halted construction in 1992 amid economic hardships and rumors of structural deficiencies. The North has been seeking foreign investment of up to 300 million USD to complete the structure.

Traders in Shenyang, China with ties to Pyongyang say the North has now found that funding, partnering with Egypt’s Orascom Group. Orascom has publicized significant investment plans for North Korea in the last twelve months. Orascom Telecom Holding announced on January 30 of this year that it had been granted the first-ever commercial license to provide WCDMA 3G technology-based cellular service to North Korea, and put forth plans to invest 400 million USD to create a nationwide infrastructure.

This deal followed on the heals of Orascom’s first venture into DPRK investment, announced in mid July, 2007, when Orascom Construction Industries purchased a 50 percent stake in the North’s Sangwon Cement Factory near Pyongyang. This venture involved the injection of 115 million USD, which is being used to modernize the facility and increase production capacity from 2.5 million tons to 3 million tons per year.

In addition to Orascom Telecom Holding and Orascom Construction Industries, the Orascom Group also includes Orascom Hotels and Development and Orascom Technology Solutions.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Wow, what a risky investment

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:47 PM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

This may be a beginning to something good in the DPRK...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
This may be a beginning to something good in the DPRK...
Or just a sign of famines to come ... I don't think a venture like this is at all appropriate for a nation in the condition of the so called "Democratic People's" 'Republic' (none of which I believe are accurate words to describe that state).

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 12:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Wikipedia also has a team of people that check the edits.

Having said that, I am also very skeptical this thing has actually restarted. That building was a huge fantasy to start with.
Wikipedia admins dont catch everything, trust me, i'm one of them, and theres always goig to be phony edits made, theres no way to catch them all...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 7:12 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Or just a sign of famines to come ... I don't think a venture like this is at all appropriate for a nation in the condition of the so called "Democratic People's" 'Republic' (none of which I believe are accurate words to describe that state).
No, the fact that there is investment in the country may turn out to be good for the DPRK, I doubt that KJI is really going to dump massive amounts of $$ into this again. Also, notice some of the industry improvements that one investor is trying to make - more jobs = more money to spend...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 10:12 AM
low life in a tall place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Should North Korea continue to be isolated from the outside world instead? Of course it is good to trade with it, be it in business, culture (like sports) and everything else. It's a gradual development, and hopefully this is somewhat a start.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 11:11 AM
SSC Refugee

'In North Korea, The Balconies Stand On You'.

Seriously though, I doubt any company would invest in North Korea, I mean what has it really got to offer? I also doubt that if any company did invest in North Korea, any of the investment money would be plowed into this beast.
Aren't the people instructed to pretend it doesnt exist?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive