HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
I have never had any delay in Saskatoon in getting my baggage and I can't recall ever having to wait more than 15 minutes let alone 30 minutes. I hope your experience is by far the exception. A couple of weeks ago I flew in from Las Vegas. Our bags were on the carousel before we got through customs and we were close to the front of the line.

Last time I flew into Phoenix it took 15 minutes to walk from the gate to the baggage carousel and then it took another 45 minutes for the bags to arrive. A full hour from walking off the plane to walking out of the airport.
Is there even a baggage handling system at yxe for incoming bags. They have a system for departing bags but.my impression is for arrivals the.guy driving the cart parks next to the.belt hits the on putt on and loads the bags. that wouldEan any delay is with the airline unloading.the aircraft.

Toronto has a system and it is painfully slow.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 4:55 PM

Do we know if YQR has completed their ground side airport building relocating construction etc. projects yet?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Do we know if YQR has completed their ground side airport building relocating construction etc. projects yet?
Well, the new baggage facility is complete. (Speaking about baggage, lol!) I was hoping that you guys could do some fieldwork out there because I am out-of-province for months-on-end.

I am betting that the new taxiway "Charlie" is complete. Infrastructure for the new hangar area should be complete as well. No matter what though, the airside grounds will be completed this year. Next year though, the terminal expansion and new tower construction is slated to begin. We'll know more by mid-spring.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:17 PM

Oh, on another note, YQR won the Routes Americas Marketing Award for 2017; that's the second time in 3 years. (For airports with fewer than 4 million people/annually.)

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Well, the new baggage facility is complete. (Speaking about baggage, lol!) I was hoping that you guys could do some fieldwork out there because I am out-of-province for months-on-end.

I am betting that the new taxiway "Charlie" is complete. Infrastructure for the new hangar area should be complete as well. No matter what though, the airside grounds will be completed this year. Next year though, the terminal expansion and new tower construction is slated to begin. We'll know more by mid-spring.
I am so interested to see design plans for the terminal and new tower! I just hope for high ceilings and a lot of glass!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
I am so interested to see design plans for the terminal and new tower! I just hope for high ceilings and a lot of glass!
I'm sure it'll be a looker!!!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:21 PM

ExecAir is shutting down in Regina.

That'll create opportunities for a [new?] charter operator in Regina.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:23 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Is there even a baggage handling system at yxe for incoming bags. They have a system for departing bags but.my impression is for arrivals the.guy driving the cart parks next to the.belt hits the on putt on and loads the bags. that wouldEan any delay is with the airline unloading.the aircraft.

Toronto has a system and it is painfully slow.
You are correct. Incoming bags are dropped directly on the conveyor system.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 5:00 AM

Really hope the city of Regina isn't stupid enough to raise taxes on the airport.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...air-travellers

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Really hope the city of Regina isn't stupid enough to raise taxes on the airport.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...air-travellers
What do other cities do?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
What do other cities do?
Calgary and Edmonton airports list property tax on their financial statements.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:09 PM
ConstructionPete

A win-win for city & airport in a time of budget cuts and long term success. https://centreforaviation.com/analys...success-339680

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:42 PM

Westjet is Launching A ULCC Subsidiary this year, Starting with 10 737 Aircraft. They have even hinted to cheap flights to the states. Hopefully Saskatoon and Regina will be serviced locations.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle34757640/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 2:34 AM

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 3:19 PM

Successful year for Saskatoon Airport despite turbulent times

By Meaghan Craig, Global News
April 26, 2017

The Saskatoon Airport Authority is flying high after one of its best year’s ever in terms of passenger traffic.

On Wednesday, the authority released its 2016 annual report. The 40-page document highlighted a boost in the GDP by approximately $414 million a year and an award from the Airport Council International in the under two-million passengers category.

[........]

Read more:
http://globalnews.ca/news/3407498/su...rbulent-times/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2017, 11:50 PM

I am really surprised Regina doesn't have a direct daily Air Canada Flight to Edmonton? Seems odd to me that only WestJet offers this. Also wish Regina had a direct daily to Ottawa. Capital of Saskatchewan to Capital of Canada.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
I am really surprised Regina doesn't have a direct daily Air Canada Flight to Edmonton? Seems odd to me that only WestJet offers this. Also wish Regina had a direct daily to Ottawa. Capital of Saskatchewan to Capital of Canada.
There use to be one to Edmonton but it wasn't doing good so AC pulled out.
And I thought in the summer time AC does a Saskatoon-Regina-Ottawa flight but they might of got rid of that too but I don't know

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
There use to be one to Edmonton but it wasn't doing good so AC pulled out.
And I thought in the summer time AC does a Saskatoon-Regina-Ottawa flight but they might of got rid of that too but I don't know
Inter-prairie city flights that don't involve Calgary have really diminished in recent years... back in the 2000s, Winnipeg-Edmonton service on AC dropped in a hurry from larger jets to regional service, and as I recall WS even dropped Winnipeg-Regina/Saskatoon service altogether for a while until Encore was created. It has bounced back a bit in recent years but it's still pretty minimal considering the connections between the 5 major prairie cities... I guess people are just driving more now? The key highways are certainly better than they were 20 years ago.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 2:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Inter-prairie city flights that don't involve Calgary have really diminished in recent years... back in the 2000s, Winnipeg-Edmonton service on AC dropped in a hurry from larger jets to regional service, and as I recall WS even dropped Winnipeg-Regina/Saskatoon service altogether for a while until Encore was created. It has bounced back a bit in recent years but it's still pretty minimal considering the connections between the 5 major prairie cities... I guess people are just driving more now? The key highways are certainly better than they were 20 years ago.
I just don't think that airlines will tolerate 1/2 full flights anymore. Why use a 737/A320 that only will fill to half capacity regularly? Sure, it might be (marginally) profitable, but a completely full CRJ or Q400 will look a heck of a lot better to the accountants.

The only flight I've flown in recent years that was <80% full was an Ottawa-Calgary flight on Westjet.

As for direct flights to Ottawa - there is seasonal service in the summer from Saskatoon. Not sure about Regina though. I think the biggest knock against Saskatchewan flights is that the population is dispersed among 2 smaller cities, so that there is not enough 'critical mass' to justify daily direct flights, unlike Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 2:13 PM

^ I think you're right about the load counts... I remember taking some early morning flights to Edmonton on AC's old ex-CP 737s around 14-15 years ago and some of them were barely half full. I guess it couldn't last, certainly not with the $100ish fare I was paying at the time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan