HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 6:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post

OT: 1ajs, it's fairly easy to write and have your post spell-checked, how do you still manage to spell like a 2nd grader? I'd don't mean to call you out, since I know people who have the same difficulties.
i use the mozillaz spell checker does not help i am using a laptop keyboard and sometimes keys don't hit proper these days and i don't notice this till later :S
no i don't mind your calling me out.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 6:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
No. It was on PPV. It was also the 120th straight sell out.
nice! that a record?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 8:48 PM

Montreal (and probably Toronto too) has sold out every game since the lockout. Minnesota has sold out every home game since they entered the league.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 9:46 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
Montreal (and probably Toronto too) has sold out every game since the lockout. Minnesota has sold out every home game since they entered the league.
Toronto used to be in the Guinness Book of World Records for having sold out every game since 1945. I don't know if that streak ever ended or how you would tell but it went on for at least 40 years.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 11:18 PM

The Leafs' post WW2 sell-out streak is alive and well. No other team can match it. The Canadiens, as we all know, went through a period in the 90s and early part of this millenium where they had thousands of unsold tickets every night.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 3:30 AM

The Leafs Stanley Cup drought is also alive and well. Sell-out or not.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 7:48 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

If you were an owner with a guaranteed (and massive) amount of income from predictable sellouts, would you invest in better players?

A 2nd team in the Toronto market is the only way the Leafs will ever win a cup again. There's just no incentive for an owner to actually put a decent team on the ice.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
The Leafs Stanley Cup drought is also alive and well. Sell-out or not.
I'm not sure why you pointed this out, since no one in this thread even hinted at any confusion over this topic. Or were you just goading me? Nice try, anyways.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 5:04 AM

Love this discussion ..the pro's of the NHL coming back to Winnipeg.
The con's of why it won't.
The Green Bay argument is silly in that they play 8 home games a year in which people as far away as Janesville and Superior travel to these games.
Football is a freakin religion and the Packers are GOD.The hockey equivelant
would be Montreal (and I'm not a fan)
Does anyone know what a NFL team or NBA,MLB teams get in TV money before they play one game?
I don't think ANYONE doubts for a second that Winnipeg is a hockey town and could sell out MTS but can they get enough corporate support and TV money,that's the big challenge (IMO no.)
As long as Buttman is in charge we'll just get lip service.

Soooo...we should get rid of the Moose and try to get WHL here.
Whenever the Wheat Kings come to Winnipeg they draw great.
We should also try and push Uof M hockey to the forefront,maybe they could join the WCHA. I know more people from my area that go down to Grand Forks to watch "The Sioux" play then go to watch the moose.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2008, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
The Leafs' post WW2 sell-out streak is alive and well. No other team can match it. The Canadiens, as we all know, went through a period in the 90s and early part of this millenium where they had thousands of unsold tickets every night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I'm not sure why you pointed this out, since no one in this thread even hinted at any confusion over this topic. Or were you just goading me? Nice try, anyways.
Case closed.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 5:15 AM
Capitalist

With a good 5 or 6 US franshises on deaths door .. and the US economy hitting the tank I think Winnipeg's chances are improving by the month.

Especially since Winnipeg does not overlap anyother exsisting franshise's region ... as is the problem in southen Ontario, Winnipeg is easily on the top 3 list of possible relocation sites today.

The only real question is if the powers that be in Winnipeg and Manitoba can get there ducks in a row.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
With a good 5 or 6 US franshises on deaths door .. and the US economy hitting the tank I think Winnipeg's chances are improving by the month.

Especially since Winnipeg does not overlap anyother exsisting franshise's region ... as is the problem in southen Ontario, Winnipeg is easily on the top 3 list of possible relocation sites today.

The only real question is if the powers that be in Winnipeg and Manitoba can get there ducks in a row.
the ducks are in a row and the ownership group is in place....trust me. the problem is the first team to go will be bought by Baslile (Blackberry dude). The #2 or #3 team to fold will be the Wpg groups.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 6:16 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
the ducks are in a row and the ownership group is in place....trust me. the problem is the first team to go will be bought by Baslile (Blackberry dude). The #2 or #3 team to fold will be the Wpg groups.

If the ownership group is in place .. as you say, than it is only a matter of time. The current NHL model is not sustanable.. and a number of teams will be relocating in the coming years .. IMO.

I will welcome back the NHL to Winnipeg with open arms. .. until than I will continue to watch the Moose make there way to there first AHL title.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 1:20 PM

Bettman is changing his tune about no more teams in canada rant that he has been on

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/can...tml?id=1010737

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 1:48 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Bettman is changing his tune about no more teams in canada rant that he has been on[/URL]
I swear, it doesn't matter from what angle any picture is taken, Butthead has got to be one of the ugliest guys out there I have yet to see a flattering picture of him.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 4:25 AM
ILYR

NHL owners facing gloomy economic picture
Last Updated: Monday, December 8, 2008 | 9:19 PM ET

The Canadian Press
Two economists addressed NHL team owners and executives at length about the state of the worldwide economy on Monday painting what league deputy commissioner Bill Daly termed a "pretty dark" picture.

Monday's board of governors meeting at the Breakers Hotel and Resort in Palm Beach, Florida, began with an agenda that included a discussion about the salary cap but talk of the economy went on so long that it was pushed back to Tuesday's session.

In fact, the governors hardly ended up delving into the business of hockey at all.

"The discussion was even more global than North American or related to hockey," said Ottawa Senators president Roy Mlakar. "It's really what's going on in the world, even on how it's impacted on China, Japan, other countries. This wasn't just hockey-related today … we have never been in this position in my 20-who-knows-how-many years in the National Hockey League, we've never seen anything like this.

"And I give [commissioner] Gary [Bettman] and Bill [Daly] credit for having the foresight to know that we should have people who are experts in this industry come in and tell us what they think is going on, what the long-term forecasting is."

The meetings began with plenty of rumours and speculation about struggling franchises that are hemorrhaging money.

Before they could even get underway, a report surfaced that the Buffalo Sabres are actively seeking a new owner.

Sabres officials deny that team is for sale

Managing partner Larry Quinn quickly denied that, but did admit that they have been approached "four or five times" since the lockout ended.

"We're not shopping for a buyer at all," said Quinn. "We listen to things that people say to us so I would say over the course of the last three years there's been a number of times where people have called and say, 'I've got this idea or maybe I want to buy, etc., etc.'

"We always listen. But we are not shopping the team and right now we're not selling it."

The extent of the economic troubles opened some eyes, particulary from Canadians in the room who weren't aware of how bad things have gotten in some American cities.

"They went into it deeper," said Edmonton Oilers CEO Patrick LaForge. "Job losses, the depth and the length, in their view, of the recession. It was sobering. I hadn't heard it in that kind of detail, and if you're in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, you're just not running into a lot of U.S. economists. You get a bit of a western Canadian view.

"When you look at all of North America, it becomes a little a more dark and deep."

Even still, there seemed to be a nearly united message from owners that they can't fall victim to fear and panic.

Meeting in luxurious surroundings

A league official said the governors considered trying to cancel the meetings altogether, perhaps worried about the perception of gathering at a luxury hotel in such rough economic times. However, the rooms had been booked months in advance and would have to be paid for anyway.

One thing the NHL isn't considering is following the NBA's lead and trimming staff.

"Clearly we have a hiring freeze, we're not filling head count," said Daly. "But at this point we're not eliminating positions. We're just looking to cut expenses all over the organization."

Interestingly, one of the only issues discussed that wasn't directly related to the economy involved the league getting more involved in Europe.

The owners gave the thumbs-up to investigating the possibility of investing in the Champions Hockey League — a tournament contested between club teams on the continent that is currently in its inaugural season. That idea is likely years from reaching reality, but the NHL is clearly in no position to ignore anything that could lead to more revenue.

"It's a tournament they have over there, the question is where would we be as part of that?" said Colin Campbell, the NHL's director of hockey operations. "They like what we have as far as our structure, our history, but what do we bring to them? It's not something [the governors] said no to."

Leafs are league's wealthiest team

Despite a spike in attendance in Boston, the Eastern Conference leading Bruins are among a number of teams with concerns.

"Business is going to be difficult in Boston next year, I know," said owner Jeremy Jacobs. "And it's difficult now. So we have to really take care of our fans and make sure we play good hockey and keep winning."

Even the Toronto Maple Leafs are proceeding with caution. The franchise is easily the league's wealthiest, but new president and GM Brian Burke doesn't believe the team's business is infallible.

"We don't think any industry and certainly no team is recession-proof. It's that simple," he said. "Our fan base and our corporate base are facing the same challenges as everyone else.

"You see what's happening in NASCAR. You can't argue that it's not having an affect on professional sports."

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 2:43 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Was at the Habs Rangers game last thursday night - what a freaking arena, amazing... the crowd was the anti-winnipeg crowd, stayed in their seats until the hooter

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 4:38 PM

^ lucky guy! Habs are my team (besides the Jets of course)!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
Was at the Habs Rangers game last thursday night - what a freaking arena, amazing... the crowd was the anti-winnipeg crowd, stayed in their seats until the hooter
Yeah, I went to a playoff game in the spring in Montreal. What an experience. I took a couple videos of the crowd before the game as a momento. We were in the nosebleed section and they were still pretty good seats. After the game my ears were ringing for the next 24 hours.

P.S. Archiseek I think I saw you at a bus stop on Graham a couple months ago and looked at you strangely. I apologize, I was just trying to figure out if it was you or not. But I'm pretty sure it was.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 2:29 AM
Capitalist

The Winnipeg Sabers???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan