HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 8:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the nieborhood not the government boundries flatlander

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
the nieborhood not the government boundries flatlander
haha i just follow government orders ...

Was at Hermano's today in the Ashdown building - very tasty.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 2:17 AM
Density and complexity

I don't where I found the southern boundary for South Point Douglas--maybe I just looked at the maps on the City website and figured out what street was which. Anyway, it's, from what I remember, officially Main, CPR, Red River, and Galt-Lily-Logan at the south.

Used to be that anything north of Brown's Creek (north side of Bannatyne E.) was considered Point Douglas, but that changed with the development and northward expansion of the warehouse district.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2009, 9:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i've always conciderd the south most boundry to be at pacific

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 3:48 PM

Kawaii Crepe - 201-99 Osborne (On top of Spicy Noodle House)

Opens today at 10 am - Midnight......check this place out

415-2833

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 7:50 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
so am i the only one that likes the atrium?
It looks nice on the inside and of course I think having places such of this which invites warm natural light during these cold winter days is a good thing. The problem is this design looks obtrusive on the outside.

What I'd like to see something like an atrium dinning room on a second floor of a small building.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 10:53 PM

the santa lucia at marion and st mary's is currently being renovated/expanded.. with three construction trailers and lots of fencing up, looks to be a potentially ambitious project. anyone hear of what exactly is happening?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
the santa lucia at marion and st mary's is currently being renovated/expanded.. with three construction trailers and lots of fencing up, looks to be a potentially ambitious project. anyone hear of what exactly is happening?
Wondering the same thing myself. I used to deliver pizza there.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Maybe they're removing the old gas tanks!!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Maybe they're removing the old gas tanks!!
I still remember it being a gas station. Pacific 66 I think.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 2:02 AM

I wasn't kidding!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 2:37 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
I still remember it being a gas station. Pacific 66 I think.
That's right; the Pacific 66 chain was one of those that was bought out to create the retail network for Petro-Canada.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 4:06 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That's right; the Pacific 66 chain was one of those that was bought out to create the retail network for Petro-Canada.
There is an old service station way out in Charleswood on Roblin Blvd. that up until a year or so ago still had a B/A sign affixed to it. B/A stood for British America, correct?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 5:45 AM

Was that the grouchy guy with all the VWs next to the Moray bridge (or whatever its called)?

There's a great old school type garage a little further west along Roblin in Headingley.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 5:55 AM
Density and complexity

I don't know--it's a garage now of some kind.

The service station on Acadamy Road around Lanark St. with the mock-Tudor stylings goes back a ways; it opened in the '30s I think.

I think Frank Motors, the VW garage on Notre Dame Ave. is probably the most urban garage in the city. They hardly have setbacks from the sidewalk at all. Reminds me of gas stations in central Paris.

Which brings me back to restaurants: does anyone else go to Oui! Bar on Market Square for their great selection of prewar cocktails (Sazaracs, Old-Fashioned's, Negronis, Daquiris, etc.)? That has to be my favorite decent place to get a drink. Sorry, Palm Room, Rae and Jerry's, et al.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 5:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea that vw one on notre dame is sure different

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 10:18 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Original Joe's set to open on Kenaston

By Trevor Suffield
Canstar News

Jan. 21, 2010

A Calgary-based restaurant chain is hoping to soon take a bite out of Winnipeg’s eatery scene.

Original Joe’s Restaurant and Bar is expected to open in the former Grapes location at Grant Avenue and Kenaston Boulevard in March.

Joe’s purchased the approximately 5,000 sq. ft site last year and is expecting to spend up to $1-million in renovations and upgrades.

Jordan Prescesky, director of franchise services for Original Joe’s, said the company is excited about its impending arrival in the city.

“Winnipeg has been a city that we have had our eyes on for a long time, and it’s a great city for us,” he said.

Prescesky said the chain wanted to control its growth in B.C., Alberta and Saskatchewan before venturing further east.

“It works really well for us to cluster a few stores in one area,” he said.

Joe’s already has more than 30 restaurants in Western Canada, but this will be its first location east of Saskatchewan.

Prescesky said the company is still interviewing prospective managers but expects to be operational in the next few months.

Joe’s boasts that it has as a casual, laidback atmosphere with restaurant quality food in a pub environment. Prescesky said that the menu will be similar to other outlets but said there will be room for some local flavours as the new managers see fit.

Prescesky said he has no apprehensions about opening a restaurant in the current economic climate because he feels the company’s business model is recession-proof. He said that by offering huge portions at low prices, people feel that they are getting value, which keeps them coming back.

Ernie Nairn, executive director of the Assiniboine Chamber of Commerce, said restaurant chain’s arrival is great news for the area and the local economy.

“I think that despite the recessionary times, to see a new restaurant coming into the area is fabulous because it indicates that the market is still strong,” Nairn said.

Nairn added that the restaurant will be a compliment to the new Ikea development further down Kenaston, and Creswin’s proposed The Elms Collection that is scheduled to be located at the current site of Canad Inns Stadium.

Scott Jocelyn, executive director of the Manitoba Restaurant and Foodservices Association, said the location is a great place for a new business.

“It’s always been a pretty hot corner with whatever restaurant was there, so we’re pretty excited to see that something was happening with it,” said Jocelyn, who grew up in the area.

“With the doom and gloom with the economy you’re always happy to hear that things are happening.”

According to Jocelyn there are approximately 2,200 food service establishments in the province right now, which is an all-time low for the past decade

Prescesky said that depending on how successful the Grant and Kenaston location is, Joe’s may consider opening other restaurants in the city.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 7:35 AM

That mean they finally found a franchisee? Or did they decide to open it themselves?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 1:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Original Joe's is pretty boring pub food.

Think of Kelsey's for a decent comparison.

I would rather have a Brewsters come to Winnipeg. Apparently they are already in Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 7:20 PM

Desperado

A Mexican restaurant called Desperado looks to be opening on Sargent Avenue. Does anyone have any information about the place?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan