HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2010, 7:24 PM

is it open already? i was driving down sargent last week and we noticed this brand new mexican restaurant (that i don't remember the name of). i think this was the same one.

i wasn't super impressed with their old el paso taco shells, or the beans for that matter.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 10:09 PM

I took a walk to Portage Place today. I was surprised to discover that the Burger King on the 2nd Floor adjact to the bridge to the Investor's Group Bldg had closed down.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 10:56 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

been closed for quite a while actualy

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 4:04 PM

Deleted.
Wrong Thread.

Last edited by Mininari; Mar 24, 2011 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2011, 10:57 PM

University of Manitoba Fort Garry Campus: Who wants more on-campus food options?

Who else would appreciate a little more on-campus diversity in food options at the University of Manitoba?

Given that we're about to become home to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, AND we're a campus of some 20,000 students, staff faculty, etc on a given day... is it possible to get some more on-campus food options?

I hate Aramark, plain and simple, black and white.

Why does the University of Calgary get a "food court" and we get Aramark CRAP, and Aramark-run Subway and Tim Hortons, that run minimal staff, and have very limited summer hours? Why must we continue to live under their creedo of "Our efficencies gained through making you wait."

Please comment, agree, disagree, yell, whine, ponder; I don't care:
Discuss.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 12:10 AM

I think the campus food options are just fine, but then again I rarely eat there since I live just a stone's throw away from Campus. However I do hope that the new stadium will liven up the area more so, and I have my fingers crossed for a new Olive Garden location somewheres nearby. But I don't know what else they could include on campus? They have a Tim Hortens, A Starbucks, a place to get soup, pizza, a burger, and not to mention the cafeterias. I certainly wouldn't want any fast food joints like Burger King or McDonalds present, so I think it's fine the way it currently is.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:49 AM

^Olive Garden would definitely be a success in the south end of the city - I've never been where it wasn't at least a 30 minute wait. As for more food options, I don't think this is just a symptom of the U of M, but more in general a symptom of the food management framework (i.e. Aramark) that exists at most universities. Students, in general, are looking for something quick and familiar. Is Degrees still around at U of M? If so, that's about as good as it gets for something other than the generic chains...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Who else would appreciate a little more on-campus diversity in food options at the University of Manitoba?

Given that we're about to become home to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, AND we're a campus of some 20,000 students, staff faculty, etc on a given day... is it possible to get some more on-campus food options?

I hate Aramark, plain and simple, black and white.

Why does the University of Calgary get a "food court" and we get Aramark CRAP, and Aramark-run Subway and Tim Hortons, that run minimal staff, and have very limited summer hours? Why must we continue to live under their creedo of "Our efficencies gained through making you wait."

Please comment, agree, disagree, yell, whine, ponder; I don't care:
Discuss.
Talk to your elected UMSU reps about getting rid of Aramark. The University sells Aramark a monopoly on food sales on campus. They ofcourse pass on the cost they pay for that monopoly onto their consumers which are mostly students. I graduated a few years ago but I'm assuming the deal with Pepsi is still intact? Same idea there. Pepsi pays the university for exclusive rights, they regain that money they spend and then some by operating a monopoly on campus.

So yes the university is gaining money from selling these exclusive rights but that money that gain is just being indirectly paid by consumers (students and staff) paying monopolistic prices.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 9:20 PM

Thanks for merging my thread with "Winnipeg Restaurants" -- I wasn't sure if this little banter of mine deserved its own thread or not.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 3:56 PM
BANNED

What happened to Fiveguys, are they opening here? There is one in Brandon, tried to get into the one in GF a few weeks back but it was too busy!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What happened to Fiveguys, are they opening here? There is one in Brandon, tried to get into the one in GF a few weeks back but it was too busy!
Still moving forward with 2 locations possibly a third initially.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 4:09 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

In Calgary right now.

Had Five Guys a couple of times. DEFINITELY a solid burger.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2011, 5:02 PM
Closed account

Five Guys is good. Had them in Brandon. Better than Harvey's, that's for sure.

But I still prefer Burger Factory, where the burgers are better and you get more bang for your buck. I'll be dissapointed if Five Guys forces them out of business.

Old Posted May 7, 2011, 3:42 PM

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Soon, a new Sals to savour
130-seat eatery in the works

By: Martin Cash

Posted: 05/7/2011 1:00 AM

"If there were ever any doubt about the future of the 80-year-old Salisbury House chain, the construction of a new $3-million restaurant at its current Pembina and Stafford location shows it's here to stay."

[...]

Read more here: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...121433069.html

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 7:12 PM

Always happy to see that institution doing alright. Red velvet cake is the bees knees.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 10:37 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post

"If there were ever any doubt about the future of the 80-year-old Salisbury House chain, the construction of a new $3-million restaurant at its current Pembina and Stafford location shows it's here to stay."
I like their fairly new Leila ave location. Former Olive Garden building in front of the futureshop. I hate that they don't give you enough syrup for your pancakes though. stupid little packets they give you now instead of a dispenser. cheap.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 1:53 AM

It's good to see the new sals location pop up on Leila. that previous restaurant didn't make it. armadillo's I think it was called. Drove down to the southwest part of the city for ice cream and a look see at all the development. Wow from ikea to expanded retail along kenaston blvd. there is a lot of growth in that part of the city. I wonder though why there's limited retail and commercial growth in the northwest part of the city. /

Come on developers get on with it. Residential development is the only major thing going on the north west corner of the city.

Plus helps with school taxes if there were more retail period.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 1:57 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
But I still prefer Burger Factory, where the burgers are better and you get more bang for your buck.
Burger factory has hardly any toppings for their burgers.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 2:09 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Burger factory has hardly any toppings for their burgers.
I have never had any issues with their toppings. My burgers always overflow with anything I ask to be put on, maybe too much so, but still they always cater to my requests.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 12:41 PM

I'm just super pumped for Smokes poutinerie opening on albert st. I think they chose an excellent location. I'ts right next to the old market square so it'll be a big hit for the free shows during the jazz fest this summer. And they make pretty good poutine!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan