HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^Agreed, or since they receive such large tax breaks from the public, they should be forced to release their returns to show just how much they are making. Sure, if there are some church/synagogue/mosque/etc org's that actually need the funding and are helping the community, fine... but some of the big ones are raking in a ton of money and shouldn't be eligible for such big breaks.

No one is going to want to be the politician to bring this up, but if you make the rule of having to publicly release returns, that could help start public support for it.
The CRD isn't a deduction for the organization, but for the individual.

Can't really see the logic behind a getting ~ $15K worth of deduction just for being clergy. There doesn't seem to be any reasonable justification for it IMHO.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 2:31 PM

The faith based theological discussion can now be redirected to the Western Expresso (Espresso) Thread if posters wish to continue it.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=188202

Taxes and the CMHR are relevant to this particular thread, please continue in that vein if posters so choose.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:14 AM
BANNED

Desperation month continues with $5 admission for all categories until Jan. 31!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 7:47 PM

Jan/Feb are historically the slowest months for museums and attractions, also when many schools do field trips.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:18 PM
BANNED

Desperation for actual payings visitors continues at the mostly underwhelming CMHR which is now offering $5 after 5:00 PM every Wednesday!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:21 PM
Heart of the Continent

Have you gone to the CMHR?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Have you gone to the CMHR?
Yup, was last there on a FREE Wednesday, place was pretty much empty, displays were ok but not overwhelming, (some of the displays reminded me of my old grade 5 science fair days) building itself is spectacular but for $300M+ it should be, overall experience 4/10 and I'm trying to be kind!

Second visit and probably my last until something of significance is displayed there.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 2:45 AM
BANNED

Admissions down at CMHR while cost to taxpayers continue to climb

attendance down 9%

revenue down

operating costs rise

big surprise!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:18 AM

This isn't really surprising, I don't think it is uncommon for museums to not turn a profit. That's not really their purpose.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:21 AM

Personally the buildings design, architecture and overall appearance has really grown on me over the last two years. I'm quite happy with it being a distinct landmark for the city.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Personally the buildings design, architecture and overall appearance has really grown on me over the last two years. I'm quite happy with it being a distinct landmark for the city.
Well for $300 million it should, too bad the exhibits and content inside are so underwhelming!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:55 AM

As an urban, liberal minded person I personally find them really cool, obviously that's just my opinion though. I've been probably 6 times at least. However 3 of those times were on free nights (which for a national museum I don't have a problem with).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:05 AM

We didn't become Bilbao. I feel I have been mislead...a victim of false advertising.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:08 AM

I love the building but it drives me f*cking nuts that a $350m building that's one of, if not now the, most recognizable images of our city has absolutely no exterior lighting. It's just a big dark abyss at night. Looks stupid.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres been some investments and projects slowly coming down the turn pike that will feed off the cmhr takes time as people aquire land and get through the system of permits financing and such... these investors will want to see returns on their investents the cmhr will benifit from this in a few yrs so plzz shut up allready takes time.... nothing happens over night

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

as for bilbao affect is something of an anomoly only way to replicate that sorta thing here would be to let the market do its thing winnipegs slow but we do it right it seems things have been picking up slowly every yr.
the cmhr may of seen a drop but thats expected with a honey moon period ending i still hear excitement from people who come here and visit that place so i dunno it will be the winnipeg way.

eventually i will visit that place so far just been on the main floor for the walrus talks

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Admissions down at CMHR while cost to taxpayers continue to climb

attendance down 9%

revenue down

operating costs rise

big surprise!
This reminds me of people who live in Winnipeg all their lives, then go a Jets game and cheer against their own hometown.

I don't get it..

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
This reminds me of people who live in Winnipeg all their lives, then go a Jets game and cheer against their own hometown.

I don't get it..
Agreed. I mean, it's one thing to say that you didn't want it in the first place, but it's here and it's not going away. We won't get a refund on it. So what's the point of cheering for it to fail?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post

I don't get it..
I agree there's something there that can be head scratching (especially those who live in Wpg their whole lives)...but to play the devil's advocate of sorts, as I think it depends on a lot of factors:

Consider that there are also people who have never lived in Winnipeg or even been to Canada who cheer for the Jets

For some people, it's a tradition thing (your family always cheered for the Leaves or Wings or Habs etc...when there were only 6 teams) and they're carrying that on, or someone they idolize or enjoy watching makes a certain team when they're young, some people didn't grow up with the NHL in Winnipeg because the Jets weren't here etc...just having a player you idolize as a kid can make you become a huge fan of a specific club and become "attached" to it

It goes the other way too -> when I lived in Alberta, I met dozens (and I'm not exaggerating) of Jets fans who had never even been to Manitoba let alone Winnipeg

For some people, they just like the team that they like and they become passionate about that team

Winnipeg isn't even my home town yet I'm a huge Jets fan...can't cheer for any other team unless it cheering for them to fail

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:28 PM

I'm not really sure what more you could expect from a human rights museum and its exhibits.

You want some artifacts from Auschwitz? Residential school desks? Whips and chains? This isn't the museum of Natural History where they have endless animal carcasses on display.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan