HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
As far as I know it is. I guess it really just depends how high they make the ceilings for the new condos and if they try to add some stuff at the top to give it some extra height.

Although it's great to hear of something so high going up in Regina, I think it's gonna make the skyline a bit awkward... That location isn't exactly central so for a while it's going to look a little off-kilter.
I don't think it will look awkward or off-kilter. I think it stretches the skyline out more. The 25 story Westgate condo will compliment the 25 story Delta to the north east of downtown. Now plunk a 30+ story sentinel on 12th and Hamilton and the skyline really becomes big city looking.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 12:09 AM
BANNED

Here's the start of the competition....

http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/10763044

Obviously it's a different type of housing but it's going after the same buyer. Notice the playbook of limited time introductory pricing, getting in now to hold your spot, pricing well below $200k. Word is they will be offering town houses soon starting at $199k.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 12:17 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
I don't think it will look awkward or off-kilter. I think it stretches the skyline out more. The 25 story Westgate condo will compliment the 25 story Delta to the north east of downtown. Now plunk a 30+ story sentinel on 12th and Hamilton and the skyline really becomes big city looking.
the new tower will look great there

Last edited by timewilltell; Mar 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 12:26 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
From some angles there is quite a large gap between the downtown core where most of the buildings are centred and where the condo will be, like in this picture:

(From Wiki)

And in some shots where just the downtown core area is more featured, it wouldn't even make the frame, like this one:

(From Migs' blog... some great Regina pics in there)

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about this development. If all goes close to what they are saying now, it's going to be amazing... but I'm also just taking a step back and trying to see how it will impact things too.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 1:48 AM

I see what you mean when you say there's a gap between the core and the new condo but hopefully those gaps will get filled in with some new hi-rise investment in the coming years.

When you say the new project won't make the frame in a downtown core pic, that's what I meant by stretching the skyline. It's slowly creating a wider core shot. Good to see some new projects like this one being injected into the downtown, too many years of inactivity have gone by. Thanks for posting the photos.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:16 AM
BANNED

From this angle the new tower will look great as its just to the right of city hall.

(photo by moi)

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:08 PM

As this board is open to speculation I'm only posting on what I recenlty overheard by from an individual with one of the largest construction / civil enginerring companies based out of Regina.

The site of the current plains hotel apparenlty is not able to accomodate such a large development due to weight and height requirments due to land mass and existing buildings and dwellings nearby. This is not to say the proposed development won't go through, but likley only be able to accomodate 9 to 13 stories.

Don't quote me, just what I heard.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 5:10 PM
Closed account

it will look great

Last edited by timewilltell; Mar 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 7:31 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebubu View Post
As this board is open to speculation I'm only posting on what I recenlty overheard by from an individual with one of the largest construction / civil enginerring companies based out of Regina.

The site of the current plains hotel apparenlty is not able to accomodate such a large development due to weight and height requirments due to land mass and existing buildings and dwellings nearby. This is not to say the proposed development won't go through, but likley only be able to accomodate 9 to 13 stories.

I'm not an engineer myself so I don't exactly have the knowledge to know this... but is it possible to dig a bit deeper and use a stronger support system for the building so it doesn't affect the other buildings nearby negatively? Would be more expensive, but is it a possibility?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:

Although I do believe this to be a possibility, I hope it is not the case. I think we deserve to have another highrise. Although I want another highrise to be constructed, I think at the same time we cant complain. I think we have an amazing skyline for a city of our size. The only thing I would like to change would be to have more residential downtown, which is the first step to creating more of a night life downtown.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 4:01 PM

Quote:

If this is the case so be it. That corner deserves a more creative and mixed use approach than what it is now so if the scope of the project is scaled down due to it's size it would be too bad but at least a new life is being proposed. On the other hand why would all the time,effort and expenditure go into proposed drawings and be approved by planning and city council if this were the case? Sounds like the developers are pretty confident in proceeding, maybe not to the 25 storys they want but to the original drawings released.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 4:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
If this is the case so be it. That corner deserves a more creative and mixed use approach than what it is now so if the scope of the project is scaled down due to it's size it would be too bad but at least a new life is being proposed. On the other hand why would all the time,effort and expenditure go into proposed drawings and be approved by planning and city council if this were the case? Sounds like the developers are pretty confident in proceeding, maybe not to the 25 storys they want but to the original drawings released.
most developors

Last edited by timewilltell; Mar 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 8:13 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
most developors dig to see what a building can support , before they make an anouncement in cities all around the world high buildings are built beside each other , for the most part it is rumor and hearsay fact is always more believable, but who knows
A lot of the info we get on this site is hearsay/rumour though... such as the possible new tower downtown. We shouldn't just jump on the person sharing the info right away just because it's not one of those feel good rumours/hearsay.

And I have a question for those that have signed up at their website (www.reginalandmark.com). What types of stuff do they send you, or have they really sent out any information yet?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 1:50 AM
Edan

they actually send out a lot of emails telling you about what their plans are and notifying you if anything is going on. Well at least thats what they do for me because im 16 and am not aloud to go to the public forums.. because im 16. Anyways, they do send you information on what the tower will look like, rooms, and prices for units etc...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 7:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
they actually send out a lot of emails telling you about what their plans are and notifying you if anything is going on. Well at least thats what they do for me because im 16 and am not aloud to go to the public forums.. because im 16. Anyways, they do send you information on what the tower will look like, rooms, and prices for units etc...
We didn't receive anything like that though we did receive the promised certificates.

Thinking about this some more, I can see their mindset is really about creating something very upscale. Whether that's achievable or not is one thing. However with the upscale mindset they may not even be thinking in terms of a low initial price to build a sales base and start the hype, but rather a high initial price to create the desired upscale perception.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 3:58 AM
Hmm....

Has anyone gotten any more information from them? I signed up to their site quite a while ago, but they haven't sent anything around; just wondering if anyone else has gotten anything from them.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 6:43 AM
Chilean like a villian

Does anyone know when the Plains is going to be demolished? I thought I heard on one of the forums that it might be in early January?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 7:47 AM
Edan

January 6th or the 12th? i thought it was one of those days..? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:03 PM

I've heard the hotel is closed but the bar remains open for a few months and then demolition will begin. Can anyone confirm this?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 3:44 PM
Chilean like a villian

Come on, where's all the people with the "inside info"?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan