HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 2:32 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
how is the IKEA coming along? is under construction now?
The store isn't set to begin construction until 2011. The associated road work is set to begin next year.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 5:33 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The store isn't set to begin construction until 2011. The associated road work is set to begin next year.
Nothing yet .... there is a great deal of work to be done to clear the land and prepare it for its new use. I don't think we'll see any actual construction for at least a year. The scale of this development will be very large. The city will also start to upgrade Route 90 for the upcoming development.

Believe me I am looking forward to it.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2009, 2:26 PM

Consumer confidence soars

[IMG]http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/578*175/confidence.jpg[/IMG]

Consumer confidence is at an all-time high in Winnipeg, and that has experts forecasting a merry Christmas for local retailers.

A new Jory capital/Winnipeg Free Press consumer confidence survey found 87 per cent of adult Winnipeggers are optimistic about the city's economic future.

That's 17 percentage points higher than it was a year ago, when the global economic recession was starting to take hold, and the highest it's been in the nearly 14 years since Probe Research began conducting the quarterly surveys.

What's even more encouraging is that 38 per cent of the 1,000 Manitobans surveyed also said they expect their own financial situations to improve over the next year.

That's five percentage points higher than a year ago.

It's also substantially better than the results from a recent Conference Board of Canada survey, which found only 28 per cent of Canadians thought they'd be better off financially a year from now.

Probe Research president Scott McKay and University of Manitoba marketing professor Rob Warren said those kinds of confidence numbers should keep the cash registers humming during the upcoming Christmas shopping season.

"When people are confident, not only about their existing income but also their longer-term income, they'll spend more money," Warren said.

"To have Winnipeg consumers feeling that strongly about the place where they live has got to be good news (for retailers)," McKay said. "It's got to be good for everybody."

Although the survey found rural Manitobans weren't as upbeat -- only 79 per cent of them said they were optimistic about their community's economic outlook -- McKay and Jory Capital CEO Patrick Cooney blamed that on the cold, wet weather this past spring and summer, on weak commodity prices and on the financial crisis within the local hog industry.

Luke Nolan, owner of The Haberdashery Guys & Girls store on Albert Street, said he was already feeling pretty good about his retail prospects for this Christmas.

And now he's feeling even better after hearing the latest consumer-confidence numbers.

Nolan said he's also found consumers tend to spend more freely if they're feeling good about the local economy.

"And I think this area (the Exchange District) is also getting busier," he said.

"So I think this Christmas will be good."

Probe also asked Manitobans how confident they were the Canadian recession is now behind us, and three out of five (59 per cent) said they thought it was. McKay said that's likely another reason why Winnipeggers are so upbeat about the future.

Another was the fact Manitoba wasn't as hard hit by the recession as most other parts of the country, he said.

"I do believe that most Manitobans never thought we were in a recession here..."

While a majority of Manitobans think the Canadian recession is over, Jory's Cooney isn't one of them.

He said consumer and government debt loads are still way too high and Canada's leading trading partner -- the United States -- is still in a lot of economic trouble with a weakening currency and rising unemployment rates.

"We're not out of woods yet, by any means," he said.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 6:37 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
Never knew about this, are you sure?, where exactly is it located? landmarks, business's close by?
It's right behind the McDonald's and Burger King there. It's a bit hidden, since they're in the way.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It's right behind the McDonald's and Burger King there. It's a bit hidden, since they're in the way.
That's actually a Lucky supermarket, a franchise Asian market based in Alberta, but I know T&T/Loblaws has intentions on opening up in Winnipeg.
http://www.luckysupermarket.ca

Get all your Asian needs on Mcphillips
-Youngs Trading
-Van Loi
and now Lucky Supermarket

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 1:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

don't forget china town

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 2:01 AM

T&T is something else. It would do well here, I think.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 6:24 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
That's actually a Lucky supermarket, a franchise Asian market based in Alberta, but I know T&T/Loblaws has intentions on opening up in Winnipeg.
http://www.luckysupermarket.ca

Get all your Asian needs on Mcphillips
-Youngs Trading
-Van Loi
and now Lucky Supermarket
Ah, thanks for clearing that up!

Either way, more competition for the Asian markets here, and appropriately located too.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 3:41 PM

i have a friend that works at the starbucks that had to be moved for h&m at polo park.. apparently they moved for nothing because h&m is no longer opening in the mall. wonder if they're not pursuing winnipeg anymore or they got lured somewhere else? my friend wouldn't say. the website still says they're hiring so i'm hoping he just heard wrong!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 6:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

perhaps they are moving into the old a&b sound building on donald and portage?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 6:39 PM

^ why do you put these seeds of hope in me...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 7:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

cause its what i do

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 8:43 PM

Deleted

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 8:59 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 10:20 PM

if the government in this town was hip and serious about revitalization at all, they would bend over backwards to get them to set-up on portage downtown!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 12:18 AM

^^^Agreed. That would be an anchor like no other for retail on portage avenue. Hell, I would open up a clothing store next to it to just get the overflow.

I would really be surprised if H&M pulled their plans for Winnipeg. Their clothes just seem to fit what all the kids are wearing nowadays in Winnipeg (I even have some H&M stuff and I'm not really that "trendy" or anything)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 5:04 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

It would definitely "fit" them.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 6:18 AM

Yes it would be a good fit, but would they be as profitable as they would in Polo Park? I hope they are still considering a Winnipeg store. Jeff's comment frightened me.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 6:15 PM

I don't think that location in the (Polo Park) mall really suits them. It's not on the main traffic area of the mall. I'd like to see one in Portage Place though. Not going to happen as long as it's still a gang and drug dealer hangout. Clean up the area and maybe the people and retailers will come. Make it a (safe) destination. It could be so much.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Yes it would be a good fit, but would they be as profitable as they would in Polo Park? I hope they are still considering a Winnipeg store. Jeff's comment frightened me.
They still are, there are job listings for the Winnipeg location still on their website. I guess no one knows where its going to be and when? (Hence the discussion)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan