HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 4:26 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
This seems to suggest otherwise:
It's wrong. Dredging was done in the lake, not in the river. Besides, the channel that was dredged was 15m wide by 3.5 m deep and the dredging wasn't done to improve flow, it was done to allow the passage of the CCGS Namao.

Some dredging was done at the entrance to Netley Creek at one time.

The actual mouth of the river, which is Netley Marsh, is 15 miles wide. I saw that windbag Forfar on the TV saying the river was one foot deep in places. What a joke. I've not seen anything like that on my sounder.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 8:19 PM

Lots of water coming your way in the Assiniboine and (especially) the Qu'appelle River this spring. The Qu'appelle flows into the Assiniboine near St. Lazare.

http://www.swa.ca/WaterManagement/Pr...alForecast.asp

Old Posted Mar 17, 2011, 2:44 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

A meeting was held last night for owners of "at risk" properties on our street (all of them except one). The news is that the City has told us the plan is we will be building dikes to the upper decile (10% chance) for a flood of 25 feet James Avenue datum. That is half a foot higher than 1997. With freeboard our dikes will be at 27 feet James.

The meeting was very well organized and well run. Several City engineers were there as well as a fellow from the province to spell out the operating rules of the floodway. The City has hired consulting engineers who will be setting up an office trailer on the street that will be manned as needed.

A flood barrier will also be erected as needed on the street which is the primary dike. They will be using those newfangled wire cages filled with sand, which seems like a good use of them.

A new by-law was created after the 2009 flood that uses a detailed by-property map of the "dike corridor" to define an area that can't be built on. This by-law has not been enforced but will be after this spring. Decks, fences etc. will not be allowed in this corridor and any existing will have to be removed. I'm sure this will anger some.

Homeowners are responsible for building and removing sandbag dikes on their property, as well as removing snow and ice from the dike corridor. I knew this was coming so I've kept mine clear for the last month. Surveying and analysis of the corridor by the consulting engineers is starting on Saturday.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 2:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Dikes being raised on the Assiniboine
By: Staff Writer
Posted: 03/18/2011 3:37 PM

Work has begun to raise and fortify 70 kilometres of earthen dikes along the Assiniboine River, from Portage la Prairie to east of the Baie St. Paul Bridge near Elie, the province has announced.
Spring run-off is expected to create flooding situations along the Assiniboine similar to those of 1976. Upgrading the permanent dikes is necessary to protect people and property, said Manitoba Infrastructure and Transportation.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...118262874.html

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runt View Post
This hasn't happened to some degree? I'm sure I noticed a south-bound portion (reconstructed) that was raised higher, than the older north-bound portion, last spring. Albeit, I don't recall if it was a particularly long stretch of highway.

Hwy 75 north of Morris to Ste Agathe was not raised and will flood over if levels are close to 97 levels.'
Hwy 59 should be reconstructed to American border. This would give Trucks another route into the states.
I would love them to do that! However with the urgency things tend to happen with MB and SSK roadwork I am guessing not. If levels hit 97' levels there will be SIGNIFICANT use of North Portal and Hwy 6 south of Regina as a major diversion to Centreport. Couple that with the partial opening of the GTH (Global Transportation Hub) in Regina, and a two-lane road that will be HELL! Does MB wanna help SSK in twinning our HWY as well?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 4:22 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I would love them to do that! However with the urgency things tend to happen with MB and SSK roadwork I am guessing not. If levels hit 97' levels there will be SIGNIFICANT use of North Portal and Hwy 6 south of Regina as a major diversion to Centreport. Couple that with the partial opening of the GTH (Global Transportation Hub) in Regina, and a two-lane road that will be HELL! Does MB wanna help SSK in twinning our HWY as well?
There is no way truck would be diverted all the way to Regina should flooding occur in the Red River Valley. There are plenty of closer detour routes to be had. Just wishful think from someone from Regina, IMO.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 4:45 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Highways 13/3/32 were used as a north/south route in 1997.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 4:46 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 2:43 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I would love them to do that!
Then you must love what they've done, since all new construction on 75 and 59 is above flood stage.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 4:33 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Then you must love what they've done, since all new construction on 75 and 59 is above flood stage.
I should hope so. Flood stage is defined when the river reaches the top of its banks.

Last edited by Riverman; Mar 19, 2011 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2011, 8:37 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I should hope so. Flood stage is defined when the reaches the top of its banks.
I'm taking about the stage in 1997 at which the road became flooded. It was in a Free Press article last year.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
There is no way truck would be diverted all the way to Regina should flooding occur in the Red River Valley. There are plenty of closer detour routes to be had. Just wishful think from someone from Regina, IMO.
Haha yea your probably right on the wishful thinking, but I will say that our GTH here is certianly making headaches around here. And only 500,000sq/m of warehouse is open, of the 1 million in the first phase. Crazy large!

Anyway I wish the best of luck to our Neighbors in the east!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 3:30 AM

Riverman, what street do you live on?

We're in E.K. and had to build a 2ft dike in 2009 ... but except for a letter from the city, have not received any information about what to expect for this year.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 5:03 AM
BANNED

^ Think I know where your house is, nice job on the exterior by the way!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 1:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsabo21 View Post
Riverman, what street do you live on?
Glenwood. We had nothing in 2009 but a 1.5 foot dike in 1997. That means we'll be building a 2 ft. dike this year. All that could change mind you, in either direction.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ Think I know where your house is, nice job on the exterior by the way!
Thanks

We had a few young architects who "thought outside the box" and the final result turned out pretty good.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Glenwood. We had nothing in 2009 but a 1.5 foot dike in 1997. That means we'll be building a 2 ft. dike this year. All that could change mind you, in either direction.
We're just north of you on Bredin. Our street is normally pretty safe; however, our house in particular has a walk out basement. We needed to build a 2ft dike in 2009 but the water never came near it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 2:57 PM

Riverman - please check your PM's ... I have a question in particular about the 'feet above at James' and how that relates to properties in E.K.

Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 3:58 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

You must be the second house in from the park.

Sorry, no new PMs. Ask away on here.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 9:36 PM
BANNED

Took a look at what they did to the lot at 468 Henderson Hwy, where the condo project GATES ON HENDERSON is being built, the lot was completely stripped bare of any kind of plant or tree, the river bank was levelled and extended (probably illegally) past the bank and into the river. This is a complete disaster for the river bank and neighbouring properties. I can't believe the city allows bull shit like this to occur!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan