HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 2:57 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
So do people play along at home? Or is it like watching poker on TSN? (also kind of odd...i dunno)

That's alarming to hear the handi-transit system is funded through bingos. Does the government not agree that it is an essential service?
In Saskatoon we used to have it too... I used to love playing it when I was younger. You would buy a ticket, like the lottery, except it was 3 bingo squares. They would call the numbers on the TV, and they had a number to call when there was a bingo. I think it was a Kinsmen thing.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Hey wasn't that Kingo Bingo with Greg Barnsley on CFQC Sat. nights ??
I clearly recall watching that and marvelling at the redness of Greg Barnsley's nose. Then we'd go out drinking (it was Saturday night, after all).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 11:27 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
So do people play along at home? Or is it like watching poker on TSN? (also kind of odd...i dunno)

That's alarming to hear the handi-transit system is funded through bingos. Does the government not agree that it is an essential service?
You buy the cards at Mac's and a few other stores for three bucks, and play along with the TV. You use bingo dabbers. If you win, you call the number and give them the card's ID and they tell you if it is a winner or not. Near the end of each episode you usually see one or two false Bingos before someone actually gets it.

Our Handi-transit system is run by an NGO, but the city provides most of their funding (it owns the vehicles but doesn't employ the drivers). The Bingo game is a supplement to the city's contribution, and I think most of the funds go to their supportive housing facility and a couple other programmes that they run, like a retreat for disabled people in the rural areas.

http://www.hagi.ca/

It was established in 1975, and I guess the city hasn't seen the need to take over the service since then. I don't think it has ever been mentioned. The city buses are 100% accessible, we were the first city in Canada to achieve that, so it isn't like accessible transit isn't a priority. If HAGI had trouble keeping it going I am sure the city would step in to save it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 5:34 PM

Access in Regina has TV Bingo every Saturday to benefit their Children's Fund charity and it's quite popular. Wasn't there some American Bingo Night TV show or something a few years ago? That seemed a little weird...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 11:19 PM
I am a typical

Midwest Coffeetalk just reached 10,000 posts. How long until this one gets there?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:43 AM

Hey so what would you guys recommend for a good bank? Which Banks do you guys use? I'll be looking to open a joint bank account within the next few months. I'm just looking for a simple chequing account with online banking and low service fees, and I'm not sure if I should go with a Credit Union or one of the big five. Since I'm not sure where I will be post graduation, I'm leaning more towards one of the big ones since it will be more accessible. What do you guys use?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

assiniboin all the way

cibc has screwed me over while over seas not fun.... thank god for friends

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 5:38 AM

I switched to TD from a credit union a few years ago, and haven't looked back since.

TD's branch hours alone made it worth the switch (for me, anyway).
They also have awesome customer service - phone and tellers.
Over 1250 US locations.

Not sure how it measures up to other banks in regards to fees... Anyway, zero complaints from me. I highly recommend.

I hear President's Choice (CIBC affiliated) has zero fee chequing accounts. But then you'd have to go to Superstore to do your banking, which probably isn't the most convenient.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 5:58 AM

We use Assiniboine Credit Union, but will be looking to switch to TD when our mortgage comes up for renewal in a couple of years. ACU is a little too much like a bank now anyways.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 6:06 AM
working stiff

Don't be knocking the PC! No fees, PC Points, and CIBC ATMs outnumber all other banks. The online banking interface is clean and simple too.

I have an account with Royal Bank as well. They've been good to me over the years.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 8:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 1:43 PM
GQMF

Any Blue Jays fans here?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 2:48 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
I hear President's Choice (CIBC affiliated) has zero fee chequing accounts. But then you'd have to go to Superstore to do your banking, which probably isn't the most convenient.
I've been banking with PC for the last 10 years.

IMO, it's awesome. Nobody does face to face banking anymore, so why pay monthly fees for the use of a machine, plastic card and website?

I don't understand people who simply accept paying monthly fees at the larger banks.

My advice: Sign up for chequing accounts at PC, or use a Credit Union - they at least tend to waive fees with a minimum balance maintained in your accounts.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:25 PM

I've used RBC since I got my first Leo account when I was 7! They've always been good to me. I don't think I've ever had a bad experience with and employee and the awesome tellers (though this is in Regina) are very helpful when it comes to saving me money. If they can find a way to save me some money (different programs to save fees/costs), they make suggestions and have saved me over the years. Because of school, working part time, working full time, I've had varying needs at different times.

And their Professional Designation Student Credit Line has been a lifesaver for me!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:31 PM
the first stamp is free

^ But again, you are still paying fees!

I am old enough to remember banking before ATMs were widespread. You didn't pay fees to use the banks - so I guess this is why I can't understand why so many people to accept it.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:36 PM
I am a typical

RBC in Thunder Bay has horrible tellers. I rarely use the word, but "cunt" accurately describes most of them. They also have really bad hours. Half of their locations aren't actually open enough for their employees to be considered "full time"; the one downtown is open 34 hours a week. In addition to this, they've closed or are closing all of their downtown locations and building new standalone buildings in the suburbs to "serve you better". My 5 minute walk to the bank is going to become a 40 minute bus ride.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ But again, you are still paying fees!

I am old enough to remember banking before ATMs were widespread. You didn't pay fees to use the banks - so I guess this is why I can't understand why so many people to accept it.
I like going to the bank now and then and talking to a human and PC is pretty inconvenient. I actually go pretty regularly and they've been good to me, so I see no reason to change, especially since my fees are pretty minimal.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberguy View Post
Any Blue Jays fans here?
Yes, they are lovely birds. August is a great time for viewing.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:23 PM
I am a typical

He wouldn't look at me. I think I offended him.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:32 PM

banks

Yep PC Financial is pretty great - I can't imagine how much my banking would cost without them. Though if you ever need to talk to someone in person, waiting on the phone for an hour is beyond the patience level of most people (lately their service has been a lot more prompt though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I've been banking with PC for the last 10 years.

IMO, it's awesome. Nobody does face to face banking anymore, so why pay monthly fees for the use of a machine, plastic card and website?

I don't understand people who simply accept paying monthly fees at the larger banks.

My advice: Sign up for chequing accounts at PC, or use a Credit Union - they at least tend to waive fees with a minimum balance maintained in your accounts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan