HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 9:56 PM

^ whoa!!! holy cranes!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 10:51 PM

Saskatoon in 2025... the Bess is still there in the lower left and the Traffic Bridge has been replaced:

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Saskatoon in 2025... the Bess is still there in the lower left and the Traffic Bridge has been replaced:

Amazing! Is that the new children's hospital there in the middle?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 2:18 PM
^^^^^

Sunrise over the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:24 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jul 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 5:25 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jul 2, 2013 at 7:48 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 3:35 AM

Pic from last June, not the greatest

Not a skyline pic, just feels like a "big city" pic

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 4:23 AM
Urban Dreamer

Saskatoon's skyline is smaller b/c of the flight paths directly over the downtown. I don't think this compromises the cities skyline in anyway. In fact it creates the opportunity for a unique city aesthetic that no other Canadian city will really be able to achieve b/c of almost no restrictions in air space.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 6:12 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc087 View Post
Saskatoon's skyline is smaller b/c of the flight paths directly over the downtown. I don't think this compromises the cities skyline in anyway. In fact it creates the opportunity for a unique city aesthetic that no other Canadian city will really be able to achieve b/c of almost no restrictions in air space.
Edmonton says hi!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 7:15 AM
surely you agree with me

if you consider that regina isnt all that much bigger than fargo north dakota it makes their downtown seem all that much more impressive....both saskatchewan cities punch way above the weight of their population as far as urban quality goes.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
if you consider that regina isnt all that much bigger than fargo north dakota it makes their downtown seem all that much more impressive....both saskatchewan cities punch way above the weight of their population as far as urban quality goes.

Agree 100%. Regina & saskatoon are the most impressive cities i've seen with regards to urban qualities & skylines for cities their size. Cant think of a single challenger.

Btw, viking...this is a really impressive Wpg skyline pic...tough to get a good angle of our skyline. Have you ever thought about tossing in the new Osbourne Appts, Heritage Landing, Convention Centre hotel, and CMHR for kicks to kind of give it a future skyline pic?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 11:48 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Have you ever thought about tossing in the new Osbourne Appts, Heritage Landing, Convention Centre hotel, and CMHR for kicks to kind of give it a future skyline pic?
I wish the Federal government would chip in for the convention centre. if they do it in Quebec, why not here?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 3:36 PM

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 7:07 PM

Wow those are really nice Wpg Guy, you should post them in the Canada skyline thread

The first one is a nice one of an angle we rarely get to see

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 8:02 PM

Those are 3 great shots of Winnipeg. Ball diamond looks cool with the skyline in the background. MTS looks sharp. Bet there's no regrets putting it downtown.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 8:42 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I look forward to sitting in that ballpark all winter!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

True, Regina is in fact, not much larger than Fargo at all. With me being a pilot, I saw Fargo from the air a few months ago ---- and believe me ---- it is really quite a BIG town!!! However, they do not possess much of a skyline at all (which is quite antithetic --- given its size). Check out the diagram page under "Fargo". Fargo is; however, still quite impressive in its own right with reference to other forms/types of development. Regina/Saskatoon do have very impressive skylines for their size!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 5:22 AM
working stiff

Saskatoon skyline

Not your standard mix. These were captured over the last four years or so. I did my best to vary the angles, times of day, and seasons.

That's it!

Last edited by Ruckus; Feb 22, 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 2:06 AM
Urban Dreamer

Saskatoon is stunning in the summer, I wish the architecture was more stimulating during the winter months.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 12:11 AM
Honored Member

Two thinks working against a high-rise environment in Fargo as compared to Regina:

1) F-M is located on, depending on where you are, 100-120 feet of soft clay, meaning it costs more to build a 20-storey building in downtown Fargo than it would in Regina. This scares away investment. Some people have told me that the deep clay IS the reason that "no high-rises can be built" in Fargo, but that's false. There is already an 18 and a 22-storey building downtown, so it's not that it can't be done. It's that there's more of an investment risk as costs go higher with extra foundation work.

2) Downtown Fargo is located right underneath the airplane path to Hector International Airport for planes flying from Mpls., Chicago and Orlando to land on the runway. I believe there is a 210 foot height limit for buildings downtown because of this.

This is not to say downtown Fargo could not have a lot of 150-200 foot high rises in is city centre, being a slightly shorter version of Regina's skyline. I think you'll see investment grow more through the years. Understand that from the early 70's to the year 2000, DT Fargo was left abandoned to its own devices by local civic leaders. The DT of my childhood was a shell of what it was like in the 2000's when I want to college there, and in 2011. The 2000's were downtown's Renaissance, and I think the next phase will happen this decade (though I'm not around to see it). There are a TON of small-scale developments that make downtown Fargo compete with Regina, not in the density department, but the overall, fun/economic activity scale. For example, numerous high-end restaurants, shops, boutique hotels, etc. DT Fargo has become a very yuppie place in the past 6-7 years, (I liken it to a gritty version of Mpls.' Uptown District) and there is talk of a 15-20 storey skyscraper in the last open plot of land on Broadway to not yet be filled up. I believe Facebook has pics of the winning design submissions.

One more thing that I think works against DT Fargo getting high rises: Most of the new businesses in Fargo want to locate in the SW suburbs, and most condo development is happening there as well. but there have been some investments downtown, but almost every project that has taken place downtown is just rehabbing and renoing old, abandoned buildings. Once the old space runs out, you'll start seeing a new construction boom.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan