HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
Is there any reason why Regina doesnt have the sound retention walls like Saskatoon?
Cost. Also, there is more room from the RRd's edge to homes, hence the berms as another mentioned. I suppose if the Ring Road was very much closer like parts of Circle in Saskatoon, there would be more demand from the public for them.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Those walls are the ugliest things ever. I hate them. But then, I might feel differently if I was personally affected by the noise.

Anyway, much of the Ring Road was designed with berms that are supposed to cut the sound somewhat.
They're better than looking at [some] peoples junky backyards or deteriorating fences. I appreciate the uniformity - it's much neater.

They greatest opposition to the sound attenuation walls here in Saskatoon, were people complaining that the sun would 'set' sooner in their backyards. Other than that, the response has been pretty positive.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 6:18 AM

I know this might be a dumb question but what are berms ?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 7:31 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by macblaze View Post
I know this might be a dumb question but what are berms ?
Essentially hills used to hide undesirables from view (e.g. parking lots, roads).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 7:34 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

just another word for dike

but also can be dependant on the context of what ur talking about

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Essentially hills used to hide undesirables from view (e.g. parking lots, roads).
And sometimes used for sound attenuation - i.e. between expressways and residential streets...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2011, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Here are some of my favourite Regina skyline shots that I've taken over the past couple years.

(photos by moi)
Really nice shots of Regina Migs. Went shooting two nights ago. Once I get internet at home i'm going to start posting.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:00 PM

Last edited by Larch; Apr 28, 2022 at 6:19 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 3:25 PM

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 5:48 PM

^ Love, Love, Love them all!

The best attempt I've seen to do Saskatoon's tricky skyline justice.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 6:08 PM

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 4:57 AM
working stiff

Wascana trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larch View Post
i have to jump in on this regina-saskatoon comparison.

[...]

this leads me to the parks comparison. wascana centre IS amazing, no doubt about it. it's easily one of the best examples of 20th century urban park design in canada (if not north america)...especially considering that it was essentially built on a swamp. i've spent countless hours within it and on the trails that connect it to the rest of the city.
that said, and even though i've only lived in saskatoon for 3 years, i've probably already spent more time in the meewasin valley. it is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING, no matter where you are. if we're talking about one particular park, perhaps wascana has the edge. but if we're talking about a park system there is again little comparison. meewasin integrates most of the city's old neighbourhoods, river landing and the downtown core, the university and beyond. with over 60km of trails, 7 (soon 8) bridges, and its numerous parks (each with its own distinct feel and function, as the various festivals in each will attest), i think it far exceeds the reach of wascana,
regina's victoria park has a very unique place in the heart of downtown that you'd be hard-pressed to match in saskatoon. kiwanis maybe does more as a festival site, but less as a bustling city-centre green space (at least during the workday - is vic park still called "victim park" for its nighttime activities?)

i think the biggest difference between the two is their quality of street life. saskatoon has an enviable level for any city of its size (not to say it couldn't be improved), while regina still has a loooooong way to go. i don't have any stats to back this up, but i would imagine that saskatoon's civic involvement/pride far exceeds that of regina. whether for slut-walk, gay pride, or the unveiling of a new bike corridor, people in saskatoon come out in droves to make themselves heard.
i would also suspect that saskatoon is a younger city, and that the people here are more fitness-oriented regardless of age. i think this translates to overall street-life, as people are generally out and about to see and be seen. the level of urban design detail is also much higher here, which adds to the varied sense of place from one neighbourhood to the next.
and then there's the view factor. unless you're in a building or on the hill in douglas park you won't see much of regina (from within the city centre at least, though the view coming north on wascana pkway is memorable), while saskatoon nicely frames its varied panorama from any number of places in town. i guess the exact opposite is true when looking at each city from its surroundings. this topographical difference is one of the main reasons i like each for what they are.

if i could summarize each place with just one quality i would say that regina is hard while saskatoon is soft.
in the end i prefer saskatoon, but i'll defend regina to the end against anyone who talks it down...especially if they've never lived there.
i think saskatchewan is fortunate to have two distinct urban centres, and i'm incredibly excited to see what the future holds for both of them.

Nice panos and nice post!

What types of trails does Wascana Park/Creek have? Anything technical like the single track trails along the River? I practically live in the Valley all summer

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 5:14 AM

This is one from my trip mid June

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 5:16 AM

I Actually don't know how to make the photo's work properly but if you open new tab it will show it.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 4:06 PM

Last edited by Larch; Apr 28, 2022 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 2:01 AM
working stiff

Could be worth a trip then -- thanks!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:19 AM

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 12:36 PM
What could go wrong?

delete post
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 2:29 PM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2011, 2:02 AM
working stiff

Interesting set. The river rises beautifully from afar. bleh, those utility poles need to go asap

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan