HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:22 AM
BANNED

Regina | New Mosaic Stadium

(Link to previous thread) http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=171703

photo from CIC feasibility report.

Since the previous thread was locked for obvious reasons, its time to start another one as this project is one of the biggest in Saskatchewan history.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1880307/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe and Mail
Ottawa welcomes Quebecor's commitment to arena in Quebec City
The possibility of a taxpayer-funded hockey arena in Quebec City appears to have moved a step closer to reality with the federal government welcoming an announced injection of private cash from media giant Quebecor.

Quebecor's president and CEO Pierre-Karl Peladeau, in his first public pledge to pony up his own money for the project, says he has offered “tens of millions of dollars” to help build the estimated $400-million facility.

Peladeau told reporters Sunday evening in Quebec City that negotiations are ongoing to come up with an agreement to build the rink, with the eventual goal of bringing the defunct Nordiques back to the provincial capital.

Ottawa has stressed that private-sector money would be a necessary condition for any federal investment in the project. The government applauded the latest development.

Christian Paradis, Prime Minister Stephen Harper's political lieutenant for Quebec, said Sunday the interest from Quebecor is promising.

“Certainly it's encouraging, because we've always said there would eventually be participation from the federal government if the private sector made major investments,” Paradis told The Canadian Press.

“It's going in the right direction. Remember that at the beginning it was supposed to be 100-per-cent financed with public money - and that was unacceptable. Now we see a new element, and that's good.”

In September, Quebec City Conservative MPs illustrated their own eagerness by wearing the Nordiques' old blue-and-white jersey to a public event.

Detractors have warned Ottawa to steer clear of committing public money to a project that benefits private enterprise — particularly at a time of enormous federal deficits.

The proposed facility, which has already received financial backing from the provincial and municipal governments, is considered a prerequisite for the potential return of NHL hockey.

While it might prove popular locally and help the Conservatives make inroads in the province, any federal funding would carry obvious political risks.

The demand for federal cash for sports teams could quickly spread across the country and create regional grievances in areas that don't receive it.

Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Regina and Hamilton have all expressed interest in new sports venues or upgrades to existing ones.

A report by Equipe-Quebec — a group working to attract the Winter Olympics in 2022 — recommends building an arena. But it also concedes the building would run a deficit unless it attracted an NHL tenant.

According to a study conducted by Ernst & Young, a new arena would bring in $8.4 million a year with an NHL tenant and $7.8 million without a professional club.

The cost of financing and maintaining an arena could be far higher. According to Claude Rousseau, president of Equipe-Quebec, the expenses would be between $36 million and $41 million annually, rendering the building unprofitable for a private business.

But over the longer term, the project would generate $500-$600 million over 40 years and governments would reap the benefits.
Funny, they are now saying alot of the same things I have said.

Last edited by Migs; Mar 29, 2011 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:33 AM
BANNED

(all images from CIC's feasibility report)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:40 AM
BANNED

(all images from CIC's feasibility report)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:50 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

next 2 or more people to get outa hand in here gets a 24hr break nuff said......

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 7:24 AM
Edan

So if/when this facility gets built... it will be larger than the Air Canada Centre? And taller than the Fargo dome? That's Crazy!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngregina View Post
So if/when this facility gets built... it will be larger than the Air Canada Centre? And taller than the Fargo dome? That's Crazy!
Well if it gets built it will be MUCH bigger in size than both of those facilities so, yep......

When did this facility get a name change? Just asking so don't get a grump on.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 3:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Well if it gets built it will be MUCH bigger in size than both of those facilities so, yep......

When did this facility get a name change? Just asking so don't get a grump on.
Its name didn't change, its always been refered to as this. Here is the full feasibility study for those who haven't had a chance to read it yet.

http://www.cicorp.sk.ca/publications.../other_reports

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 4:06 PM

I'm looking fwd to some decisive news on this in the coming wks...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Now it looks like the Quebec folks are looking for funding under the P3 program. Why didn't we think of that?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1880348/

Quote:
Globe and Mail
Péladeau proposes ‘substantial’ financing for Quebec City NHL arena

Media magnate Pierre Karl Péladeau says he’s willing to pour “tens of millions of dollars” into building a new multipurpose arena in Quebec City.

Citing the return of NHL hockey to the city as his priority, the president of Quebecor confirmed his intentions in Quebec City on Sunday night.

“We have proposed something to the city that we consider to be very substantial,” Mr. Péladeau told reporters, declining to elaborate on how much he’s prepared to spend because “we want to keep these talks private.”

It also seems Quebecor, which recently won regulatory approval for a 24-hour sports channel, would be interested in managing the arena; there is considerable speculation in Quebec that other partners in the venture will shortly be announced, possibly including impresario René Angélil.

Negotiations continue over the financing of the arena, but Mr. Péladeau’s announcement will surely ratchet up the pressure on the Conservative government in Ottawa – as a possible federal election looms – to kick in its share.

There’s political chatter in Quebec that that could happen through the federal Public-Private Partnerships Canada agency, hence Ottawa’s insistence on private funding as part of the project, which is expected to cost $350-million to $400-million.

Making a contribution using existing funds would presumably help attenuate any political fallout in other provinces.

Federals officials, however, said their position has not changed and that the ball remains in the hands of the municipal government.

A Conservative source said the contribution from the private sector must be “important” given the “federal government has not funded professional sports facilities in the past.”

The government’s position is that the project must be “equitable for all regions of the country and affordable for taxpayers’ during this period of fiscal restraint.”

Public Works Minister Christian Paradis said Sunday that the interest from Quebecor is promising. “Certainly it’s encouraging because we’ve always said there would eventually be participation from the federal government if the private sector made major investments.”

The province and the city have already pledged $200-million, and Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume has repeatedly said the project will go ahead with or without federal funding. An official from Mr. Labeaume’s political party let slip on Friday that a new arena deal had been reached and would be announced in three weeks – he backtracked later in the day.

The National Hockey League has signalled it would like to return to the home of the former Quebec Nordiques, but that can’t happen without a new arena.

With reports from Daniel Leblanc and The Canadian Press
Weird, alot of the same arguments I made in weeks past.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:32 PM

Welcome back Migs. I'm glad you reopened the thread, considering this next month will be exciting in the lead up to the announcement.

While I still remain extremely skeptical, it's going to be great to watch how the feds walk this minefield, especially as a potential election looms. Should be great theatre to say the least.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Welcome back Migs. I'm glad you reopened the thread, considering this next month will be exciting in the lead up to the announcement.

While I still remain extremely skeptical, it's going to be great to watch how the feds walk this minefield, especially as a potential election looms. Should be great theatre to say the least.
I agree bdog. In addition to Mr Flaherty's comments on the radio last week (saying that he is very impressed with the private funding commitment to our project), here are some more quotes that I don't think have been mentioned on these forums yet.

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/Minis...#ixzz1Bym96bsq

Quote:
The minister's visit also comes as the Saskatchewan government is pursuing federal participation in a proposed $431-million retractable-roof stadium.

When asked about Ottawa's appetite for such a project, Flaherty said the province's application to P3 Canada, a Crown corporation focused on public private partnerships, is being reviewed.

"It was created to look at situations like this, and to see if there is a financing model that could be used for stadium or for other arenas or whatever, but it has to be a model that is applicable across the country. This can't be one-off," he said.

"We have to make sure that there's fairness across the land."

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:26 PM

Will this have an under ground parkade?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:34 PM
Honored Member

I tell ya guys, that is an AWESOME stadium design. I think something just like that seating 65,000 would be perfect for the Vikings. I also think a slightly shrunken version of the 33,000 seat model would be awesome for NDSU Bison football. I just hope both the Bombers and Riders are playing in their new facilties very soon!

Even though I'm a Bombers fan, I have a lot of respect for the Riders, mostly for the reason that a city like Regina (which is basically the same size as my hometown of Fargo-Moorhead) can greatly support a professional sports franchise like they do. My dream is to see NDSU football supported in Fargo like the Riders are supported in Regina. Team colours everywhere, 30,000 fans per game, etc.

But anyway, I hope this gets done for you guys. I last vistited Mosaic Stadium 11 years ago (before some renovations were done), and I was turned off by the place. I know there's new turf, scoreboard, exterior, etc., but I know you guys need a new stadium in any case. I hope it gets done.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 9:43 PM

grade?

Looks like the proposal is for a below grade field, like the Bombers proposal. Do you know if that is what is planned? If so, that makes a lot of sense.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Looks like the proposal is for a below grade field, like the Bombers proposal. Do you know if that is what is planned? If so, that makes a lot of sense.
Yes, that is the plan.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 2:59 AM

A report by Equipe-Quebec — a group working to attract the Winter Olympics in 2022 — recommends building an arena. But it also concedes the building would run a deficit unless it attracted an NHL tenant.

According to a study conducted by Ernst & Young, a new arena would bring in $8.4 million a year with an NHL tenant and $7.8 million without a professional club.

The cost of financing and maintaining an arena could be far higher. According to Claude Rousseau, president of Equipe-Quebec, the expenses would be between $36 million and $41 million annually, rendering the building unprofitable for a private business.

Do we have any numbers for the facility in Regina? If the new arena in Quebec is expecting to run a deficit of $27-$32 million each year, with an NHL team, what type of deficit are we expecting from the Regina multi-use facility? Since it will be larger and more expensive than the arena in Quebec, do we expect that the operating expenses will exceed the $36-$41 million they expect to spend in Quebec?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Yes, I heard that the playing surface would be 25' below street grade. In fact, it would likely be the largest structural excavation in Regina"s history!!! Correct me if I'm wrong; however, but I think though that the 'Big Dig' of 2003-04 was thee largest all-out excavation in the history of this city.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Yes, I heard that the playing surface would be 25' below street grade. In fact, it would likely be the largest structural excavation in Regina"s history!!! Correct me if I'm wrong; however, but I think though that the 'Big Dig' of 2003-04 was thee largest all-out excavation in the history of this city.
they may have to call it the bigger dig, this baby will more than likely be built

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 6:05 AM
BANNED

And who said applying to the P3 fund was a bad idea?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1881605/

Quote:
Ottawa considers paying for stadiums with unspent $1-billion
BILL CURRY AND DANIEL LEBLANC in OTTAWA, SEAN GORDON in MONTREAL

Federal Conservatives are eyeing an unspent pot of more than $1-billion from the 2008 budget as a way of funding pro-sports venues without coughing up new cash.

The only problem with tapping into the P3 Canada Fund – managed by a Crown corporation and designed for projects with other governments and the private sector – is that the rules specifically forbid spending the money on facilities “primarily” used for pro sports.

As a result, Conservatives are now debating whether there’s a way these rules could be interpreted differently to fit demands for sports facilities, including a new CFL stadium in Regina.

A senior federal official confirmed that the Saskatchewan project is a “test case” that will determine how the government deals with large sports infrastructure projects, including a politically charged proposal from Quebec City. The P3 program is deemed, at this point, to be the most likely source of federal funding for stadiums and hockey arenas.

The question is heating up again after Quebecor President Pierre Karl Péladeau said this week that he’s willing to contribute “tens of millions of dollars” toward a new $400-million multipurpose arena in Quebec City that would be part of a bid for an NHL franchise.

The Conservatives’ political minister for Quebec, Christian Paradis called Mr. Péladeau’s news encouraging. He also told reporters there would be eventually be federal participation in the arena bid if the private sector made “major” investments.

Watching this closely is Saskatchewan, where the province is seeking $100-million in federal cash from the P3 fund toward a new, $430-million domed stadium that would be home to the CFL’s Saskatchewan Roughriders.

“I don’t see any other program that could deal with these types of projects,” the senior federal official said.

The $1.25-billion P3 Canada Fund was created in the 2008 budget but has so far only approved two projects – a $25-million road extension in Winnipeg and a $50-million project in the Maritimes to expand emergency radio services. A spokesperson for the fund could not confirm whether Quebec City or the Quebec government submitted applications.

The fund is under the responsibility of Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, who has largely been cool to the idea of federal funding for pro-sports facilities. However during a stop in Regina last week, the minister specifically mentioned the public-private partnership fund – which is managed by a Crown Corporation called PPP Canada Inc.– when asked about the Regina stadium bid.

“P3 Canada Inc. is reviewing the application of Saskatchewan with respect to the proposed stadium and I look forward to seeing what they have to say on the subject,” he said.

Tory officials in Quebec said the P3 agency represents one of several possible sources of funding, and that the government is prepared to be “very creative” in finding a solution.

Conservatives in Quebec believe there are considerable political stakes tied to the arena project, which explains the internal push from federal cabinet ministers from the province – particularly Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Josée Verner and junior regional economic development minister Denis Lebel – for a resolution.

The rules governing the P3 fund allow proposals for “sports infrastructure,” but go on to exclude “facilities used primarily by professional athletes.”

Tom Lukiwski, a Regina-area Conservative MP who urged the Saskatchewan government to apply to the P3 Fund, says the province is talking up the other potential uses for the facility in the hope of making the case that it won’t be used “primarily” by the CFL. However he said no one has received a clear interpretation of the rule from the managers of the fund.

“Does that mean literally 50-per-cent-plus usage?” he asked. “Or is it less than that?”

When asked whether the rules could allow funding for a pro-sports venue that is primarily used by others, Olivia MacAngus, a director with the fund, said no.

“We don’t interpret it that way, at this stage,” she said.

However, she said the fund is preparing to make a new request for bids in mid-2011 – which suggests a window is available for the rules to be revised before then.

Negotiations in Quebec are continuing over the amounts that private partners – Mr. Péladeau chief among them – will invest in the project, and a Quebec Tory close to the talks said there’s no firm “ask” of the federal government, although it’s abundantly clear Quebec City will not seek anything close to the 45-per-cent share the provincial government has already agreed to provide.

Quebec City has pledged $50-million and could increase its contribution. Though the original estimates were that the arena could cost $400-million, there are indications the project’s costs could be scaled back to $350-or $360-million.

Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume, an outspoken booster of the project, has receded from the public spotlight as the negotiations have advanced, and couldn’t be reached for comment on Tuesday.

Last edited by Migs; Jan 25, 2011 at 6:16 AM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 6:24 AM
Canadian Urbanite

My personal opinion is that the Conservatives really don't care about Saskatchewan's seats. If funding comes through for this project, in my opinion it's because they can't give to Quebec without giving to Saskatchewan.

If Quebec wasn't pursuing a new arena, then I don't think we would have seen a dime from the Feds.

That being said, there's no guarantee anyone is getting anything. Only time will tell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan