HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:01 AM

Wasn't it said by dr Nasser when river centre started that work would not begin on river landing while river centre was under construction?? Or am I imagining that..

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk187 View Post
Wasn't it said by dr Nasser when river centre started that work would not begin on river landing while river centre was under construction?? Or am I imagining that..
Actually the correct quote by Nasser was that River Landing would commence construction when pigs could fly.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk187 View Post
I don't remember the quote, however that would make sense as they appear to be using the River Landing site as a staging/lay-down area for the River Centre construction. Not surprising since the River Centre developer is a partner in River Landing.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Actually the correct quote by Nasser was that River Landing would commence construction when pigs could fly.
Which is when Winnipeg's new stadium will be complete?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Which is when Winnipeg's new stadium will be complete?
HEY!!! Your probably correct lol

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:34 PM

The following was posted by "Echoes" on the Saskatoon construction thread:

"Kay Nasser was on the Brent Loucks show on CKOM this morning. He says that the project is still moving ahead as planned, but the architectural design and drawings have taken longer than anticipated. He expects that the drawings will be submitted to the City in the next 2-4 weeks for a development permit, and groundbreaking is still expected this summer.

The project will take 3-5 years for full build out."

I am going to take this as good news. I don't think Nasser would be speaking publicly and giving timelines if this was not still moving forward. Looking forward to 'new' design being unveiled in a month and ground breaking this summer. Just disappointed about the full 'build out' potentially taking up to 5 years. To me, this leaves the loop hole to not fully commit to this and provide further delays. Would have liked to have seen this all built at once....

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
The following was posted by "Echoes" on the Saskatoon construction thread:

"Kay Nasser was on the Brent Loucks show on CKOM this morning. He says that the project is still moving ahead as planned, but the architectural design and drawings have taken longer than anticipated. He expects that the drawings will be submitted to the City in the next 2-4 weeks for a development permit, and groundbreaking is still expected this summer.

The project will take 3-5 years for full build out."

I am going to take this as good news. I don't think Nasser would be speaking publicly and giving timelines if this was not still moving forward. Looking forward to 'new' design being unveiled in a month and ground breaking this summer. Just disappointed about the full 'build out' potentially taking up to 5 years. To me, this leaves the loop hole to not fully commit to this and provide further delays. Would have liked to have seen this all built at once....
Prairieguy, I agree with you that the build out time is unfortunate. But, I believe the fact that they're proposing to construct the project in phases has made financing more attainable, which makes this mega project more realistic. One of the downfalls of Lake Placid's vision, I think, besides the credit crisis that hit hard at that time, was the fact they were trying to do this incredibly large project all in one shot.

With Nasser behind the reins we'll get there... in time.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 8:45 PM

Construction of city's tallest building to begin this summer

Architects are putting the final touches on the multi-use hotel, condo, retail space

Reported by News Talk Radio staff
First Posted: Apr 26, 2012 10:01am | Last Updated: Apr 26, 2012 2:53pm

Ground could soon break on a project poised to change Saskatoon's skyline. The massive hotel retail condo complex will go up on Parcel 'Y' at River Landing.

Doctor Karrim Nasser says architects are just putting the final touches on the blue prints for the massive project. Once that's done, he says it shouldn't be too much longer before the shovels hit the dirt.

[...........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/construction-c...n-summer/54213

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:05 AM
ARTchitecture

Wow what fantastic news! Another Canadian city with a new tallest soon to be under construction! Jesus by the time this boom is over we'll have Vancouver, Calgary, Halifax, Edmonton, Windsor, Saskatoon, Kelowna and possibly Victoria, Kitchener and Ottawa all with new tallest buildings PLUS Toronto, Regina and Quebec City all with new 2nd tallest buildings! Very impressive. Plus several cities which have 3rd tallests currently UC

It's amazing how fantastic Canada is doing compared to the US.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 6:34 PM

Are we not due for RL revised plans to go before City Council??? I thought it might be on the agenda for this evening, as Nasser was quoted on April 26th as saying the plans should go before council in 2-4 weeks. I was hoping for the quicker end of this estimate!

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:01 PM

^^^^^Based on my experiences, plans are never done quicker than expected. A 2 - 4 week time frame for submission of plans can most often be revised to 2 - 4 months.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
^^^^^Based on my experiences, plans are never done quicker than expected. A 2 - 4 week time frame for submission of plans can most often be revised to 2 - 4 months.
With the City council wanting this to be built as much as a lot of us do, I think they will push this through, however architects want to be sure the drawings are good before they issue them for construction and bids.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
With the City council wanting this to be built as much as a lot of us do, I think they will push this through, however architects want to be sure the drawings are good before they issue them for construction and bids.
People don't be naive. Whenever developers say they need to wait for architects and planning approvals or whatever, they really mean they have to wait for leasing (or condo sales) and financing. This is always the real issue.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
People don't be naive. Whenever developers say they need to wait for architects and planning approvals or whatever, they really mean they have to wait for leasing (or condo sales) and financing. This is always the real issue.
I am not Naive, I work for an architecture firm and am well versed with the complexity of construction documents and specifications. As well as client and code requirements. This is likely part of the reason for the delay but as you say likely not the only one.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 8:51 AM
^^^^^

River Landing

What we have all been waiting for.

Plans submitted for megaproject
By David Hutton, The StarPhoenix
May 16, 2012 3:03 AM

The landmark $250-million River Landing hotel-condo-office project will be under construction by late summer if the development is approved by city council in July.

Victory Majors Investments Corp. and Cavalier Enterprises submitted detailed plans this week to city hall for a development permit.

The plans will now be vetted by city staff to ensure the project meets the vision set out for River Landing and the architectural controls in place for the area.

The developer's plans, alongside a city report, will go before city council and the Meewasin Valley Authority (MVA) in July for approval.

"I don't anticipate any issues," said Tim Steuart, a senior planner with the city. "We've been involved and consulting with (Victory Majors) all along."

The megaproject on Saskatoon's riverfront Parcel Y is considered one of the most valuable pieces of real estate around. [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...#ixzz1v1MTkOvK

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:32 PM

And everybody was getting so worried.

Nasser delivered the plans 3 weeks after saying it would be 2-4 weeks. A man of his word.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:05 PM

Anyone have access to the plans that were submitted to City??? Would love to get a sneak peek at them! It was very hard to tell from the artist rendition included with this most recent article in Star Phoenix, but it looks like the building designs have been diminished and are more boxy in nature, rather then something architecturally of interest. Hope my impression of drawing is completely off base!!

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Teaser shot from todays' StarPhoenix:

Compare to earlier conceptual renderings:

Source
From Saskatoon Construction.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:45 PM

From the SP:

Source

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
From the SP:

Source
In looking at the new rendering, it appears as if the hotel rises 8-10 stories, then is set back slightly, and rises a couple more stories from there. Perhaps this set back allows room for an outdoor patio/restaurant seating area with a view of the river valley. Saskatoon, currently, does not have a restaurant with a view from high up of the river valley. Such a restaurant would do very well, in my opinion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan