HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 7:43 PM

Don't twin Dugald: City
By Joyanne Pursaga ,Winnipeg Sun
Friday, July 12, 2013 02:15 PM CDT

A route that serves an estimated 12,000 vehicles per weekday isn't a high enough priority to get twinned in the near future, says a city staff report.

The report, which heads to the city's East Kildonan-Transcona community committee on July 16, said the estimated $40-million cost to twin the two-lane Dugald Road, from Plessis Road to the Perimeter Highway, is too high for the "expected poor return on investment" it would provide.

This would have been a route that would have serviced an ever expanding base of people to Eastern Winnipeg, Transcona and communites that are growing in rural areas to the East of the City. For those commuters that are familiar with this route, It's to bad that this route will not be twinned.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/07/1...in-dugald-city

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 9:09 PM

I drive Dugald everyday. Flows just fine. Needs better north-south connections into residential areas east of Lagimodiere. Hopefully the city can eventually get a chunk of the CN yard to build a connector between Plessis and Ravenhurst.

In terms of what could be better in the Northeast, another east-west into Transcona would be nice, punching CPT through to the east perimeter would be preferable to me over Dugald. Grassie really sucks and Springfield is full of trucks.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
In terms of what could be better in the Northeast, another east-west into Transcona would be nice, punching CPT through to the east perimeter would be preferable to me over Dugald. Grassie really sucks and Springfield is full of trucks.
The Transcona West development should help with that. Concordia will make it through to Plessis one day. Devonshire and Kildare are going to be extended west to Peguis in the near future. Devonshire actually dead ends at Lag. Along with the Reenders extension east to Peguis.

Hoping and praying there will be some type of connection with the extended Devonshire and Lag, similar to the Concordia/Lag interchange. But probably not to the same extent as it doesn't appear to have enough room. There's an odd public reserve space where Devonshire will dead end.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Now if they could actually extend St. Matthews a little bit... extend it (or Silver) to Sharpe or Moray, and there, St James and Charleswood issues would be solved.
Short of moving the airport St Matthews to even Sharpe is a non-starter as it would encroach on the restricted airport grounds.

It would seem, on principle, that an extension of Silver might be possible however I think that it also a non-starter as it would run dangerously close to the start/end of the main runway at the airport.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Short of moving the airport St Matthews to even Sharpe is a non-starter as it would encroach on the restricted airport grounds.

It would seem, on principle, that an extension of Silver might be possible however I think that it also a non-starter as it would run dangerously close to the start/end of the main runway at the airport.
Part of the long term plan is to complete just that. The Silver Avenue Corridor. From Century to Sturgeon. Basically to connect CentrePort to the Polo Park area. It's outlined in the Master Transportation Plan, which can be found here:
http://transportation.speakupwinnipeg.com/

It is identified as a long term goal. So prior to 2031 at a cost of $90M, which obviously seems low. It's also shown on the road network map, as below:

Source:http://transportation.speakupwinnipe...nal-Report.pdf

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Part of the long term plan is to complete just that. The Silver Avenue Corridor. From Century to Sturgeon. Basically to connect CentrePort to the Polo Park area. It's outlined in the Master Transportation Plan
Even with that document I still think it is an extremely long shot that it ever happens. Currently Silver ends where Assinboine Golf Course and the airport grounds bump into each other. To continue past that point would either mean taking land away from the golf course (not unheard of) or pushing the road onto the airport grounds. That said, Chief Pegaus west of McPhillips is also listed as a long term plan however it was fast tracked to meet the needs of CentrePort. I really do not see the type of traffic CentrePort is planning to develop ever needing improved access to the Polo Park area, especially the best case Silver would access with the number of cross streets east of Ferry.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Even with that document I still think it is an extremely long shot that it ever happens. Currently Silver ends where Assinboine Golf Course and the airport grounds bump into each other. To continue past that point would either mean taking land away from the golf course (not unheard of) or pushing the road onto the airport grounds. That said, Chief Pegaus west of McPhillips is also listed as a long term plan however it was fast tracked to meet the needs of CentrePort. I really do not see the type of traffic CentrePort is planning to develop ever needing improved access to the Polo Park area, especially the best case Silver would access with the number of cross streets east of Ferry.
Yeah, I agree. I think this was even part of the WATS study. Seems it's more of an access point to the Polo Area and beyond for traffic as opposed to getting stuff in/out of CentrePort.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:25 PM

Expect the North Bound lanes of the Norwood bridge to be closed in the next year or two for resurfacing. The city currently has an open request for engineering services to create a construction tender for replacement / repair of the top surface of the north bound lanes of the Norwood Bridge.

Form the request:

"The bridge deck surface is in poor condition with rusted steel fibers at the surface and numerous pop outs and spalls throughout. There is some evidence of insufficient cover on the top layer of reinforcing steel. Some locations have been patched."

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
I drive Dugald everyday. Flows just fine. Needs better north-south connections into residential areas east of Lagimodiere. Hopefully the city can eventually get a chunk of the CN yard to build a connector between Plessis and Ravenhurst.

Which part of Dugald are you driving and at what time of day? Traffic going eastbound towards Ravenhurst and the Perimeter is an absolute nightmare. I've driven the opposite way a couple of times over the last few weeks with my new job and I'm glad I'm not in that mess. Alot of that traffic is heading out to the bedroom communities to the east and southeast either going straight down PTH15 or onto NB/SB 101. They could definitely use an extra lane at that end. And you've got to appreciate the braintrust that decided that there should only be one lane going east across the floodway to 207.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 6:58 PM
What could go wrong?

Today I noticed something I had never seen before.

I was looking at the roadwork repairs for the east-bound lanes of McGillavray between Irene and Pembina and was amazed. Now i have seen all types of construction, repairs and reconstruction before.....or so I thought. Usually for repair and overlay they replace worn concrete joints with cut-out patches, possibly diamond grind and then lay an asphalt overlay. Here the repaired the joints, replaced the curbs with I thought unusually tall concrete curbs (at least 18" or more) and are now laying a base of approximately 10" of crushed aggregate over the existing concrete street. I presume they will then put an asphalt overlay over top.

I just thought this was odd as I had never seen them lay aggregate over old concrete. I realize that the normal method of overlaying concrete streets with asphalt doesn't last long, usually no more than 2 or 3 years before the concrete joints start heaving up the new asphalt overlay.

Anyways, just an observation I had.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_hoser View Post
Which part of Dugald are you driving and at what time of day? Traffic going eastbound towards Ravenhurst and the Perimeter is an absolute nightmare. I've driven the opposite way a couple of times over the last few weeks with my new job and I'm glad I'm not in that mess. Alot of that traffic is heading out to the bedroom communities to the east and southeast either going straight down PTH15 or onto NB/SB 101. They could definitely use an extra lane at that end. And you've got to appreciate the braintrust that decided that there should only be one lane going east across the floodway to 207.
I live in the neighbourhood between Plessis and Ravenhurst, so I don't go past Ravenhurst, usually use Plessis. Don't have any trouble going east or west on Dugald during either rush hour. The only time I've seen a jam on Dugald was during construction. I don't consider having to sit at a light for a cycle or two a traffic jam (Lag). It does bottleneck heading east at the Perimeter lights, especially on Friday nights with cottage traffic.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Today I noticed something I had never seen before.

I was looking at the roadwork repairs for the east-bound lanes of McGillavray between Irene and Pembina and was amazed. Now i have seen all types of construction, repairs and reconstruction before.....or so I thought. Usually for repair and overlay they replace worn concrete joints with cut-out patches, possibly diamond grind and then lay an asphalt overlay. Here the repaired the joints, replaced the curbs with I thought unusually tall concrete curbs (at least 18" or more) and are now laying a base of approximately 10" of crushed aggregate over the existing concrete street. I presume they will then put an asphalt overlay over top.

I just thought this was odd as I had never seen them lay aggregate over old concrete. I realize that the normal method of overlaying concrete streets with asphalt doesn't last long, usually no more than 2 or 3 years before the concrete joints start heaving up the new asphalt overlay.

Anyways, just an observation I had.
They did the same thing on Eastbound McGillivray on the previously resurfaced section nearer to Waverley. I thought it was odd back then too.

If you look at the drawings for it, the city explicitly asked for that:
http://winnipeg.ca/finance/findata/m...-3340-5-R1.pdf

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 3:09 AM
BANNED

Plessis between Dugald Road and Kernaghan is now officialy closed for overpass construction. Looks like whatever skirmishes exist between the Province and City are not stalling construction.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Plessis between Dugald Road and Kernaghan is now officialy closed for overpass construction. Looks like whatever skirmishes exist between the Province and City are not stalling construction.
It was an odd spat. The local NDP MLA's and Greg raised the stink. Then the NDP speaker of the house says everything is going ahead as agreed upon last year. So what do they want? The road to stay open or not? Typical politics.

But yes, they're going ahead as planned. No detour. Construction should be underway now with the start of the sewer works. Rail works to begin in the very near future.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:31 PM

It was not even the local NDP MLA's (Daryl Reid (Transcona) and Bidhu Jha (Radisson)) that were objecting.

According to media reports they were wondering how their name and pictures got on the flyer.

I think that Jim Maloway (Provincial NDP Elmwood) is trying to get ready to run as the federal NDP candidate again. He probably thought this would be a good project to get his name attached to like the Disraeli Bridge where he was successful in getting the project plan changed only this one is going ahead as planned.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 6:36 PM

I also went to the Timmie's on Dugald Road for coffee at 10am and the traffic at least at that time was no different on Dugald then a normal day. I did not wake up in time to hear what rush hour was like but I know some people that live in Transcona and they are saying they will go to east the the Perimeter to go south instead of going west on Regent to Hwy 59.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 7:25 PM

Oh really, so Maloway doesn't even have "jurisdiction" in that area? I'm not 100% up to speed on the boundaries.

That twit should keep his mouth shut and focus on his own area. I'm sure there's more pressing issues in Elmwood than worrying about an underpass that's not even in his ward or riding or whatever it is. This is why I can't stand politicians.

My boss drives Dugald every morning and afternoon for the full length. So I'm sure I'll hear about any delays since they're a PM on the project lol

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 7:52 PM

For what its worth we are going to be seeing a new style of Traffic Signal Cantilever Pole in Winnipeg. They have a tender out for a new style which will be a pole with the arm bolted out straight instead of the curved ones that friction fit over the top of the pole.

Not sure why the change in styles but here is a link to what the new ones will look like
http://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/finda...es_Sht3-R1.pdf

The already have two that I know of in service at Donald and Graham replacing the black decorative ones that were put in when the Bus Mall started.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 8:46 PM
What could go wrong?

I would assume that you could run many types of configurations off of one straight vertical pole as opposed to one curved just one way.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
For what its worth we are going to be seeing a new style of Traffic Signal Cantilever Pole in Winnipeg. They have a tender out for a new style which will be a pole with the arm bolted out straight instead of the curved ones that friction fit over the top of the pole.

Not sure why the change in styles but here is a link to what the new ones will look like
http://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/finda...es_Sht3-R1.pdf

The already have two that I know of in service at Donald and Graham replacing the black decorative ones that were put in when the Bus Mall started.
I've travelled Western Canada and Ontario for years. These kind of 90 degree angle traffic light configurations have been replacing the curved ones for years. I actually like Winnipeg's style (which used to be the norm in Vancouver as well) as it was unique to us for the last few decades. I guess that is all going to gradually change now. Too bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan