HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 7:43 PM

Saskatoon | Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan | Completed

Ceremonial sod turned for art gallery

BY SEAN TREMBATH, THE STARPHOENIX JUNE 8, 2013

More than four years after the initial announcement of the idea for a new art gallery at River Landing, officials gathered Friday to celebrate the beginning of its construction.

"It's very gratifying to see construction underway. We waited a long time for this moment," said Jason Aebig, president and chair of the Remai Art Gallery of Saskatchewan's board of trustees, shortly after plunging a shovel into a box of coloured earth as part of a sod turning ceremony on Friday.

Aebig dug alongside civic, provincial and federal government officials, board members, and Ellen Remai, whose family donated $15 million along with a $20 million collection of Picasso prints to the project, which now bears the family name.

[........]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/travel...#ixzz2VehrbOiP

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 3:00 PM

From this:

To this:

Project updates available at:
http://www.riverlanding.ca/project_u...wan/index.html

Old Posted Jun 11, 2013, 10:10 PM
ARTchitecture

Awesome news! Thanks for the construction pic. Hopefully this spurs some renewed interest in getting River Landing going.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 3:46 PM

Last edited by WoodlandCritter; Jun 13, 2013 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 4:27 PM

A lot riding on Remai gallery

By Gerry Klein, The StarPhoenix June 13, 2013

Quote:
The StarPhoenix editorial board was introduced this week to Gregory Burke, the simultaneous executive director of the Mendel and Remai art galleries and head of the transitional team.

Upon his shoulders he carries a set of formidable responsibilities.

Although Burke is by reputation a quiet and cerebral individual, it seems the very weight of these challenges is why he wanted the job. The construction of the new gallery is one of the most exciting things happening on the Canadian art scene, and he will be at the centre of it.

Burke points out that, like the transition from the Mendel to the Remai, Saskatoon is also going through a dramatic transition. This transformation of Saskatoon is reminiscent of what was going on in Calgary half a century ago - including the debate over how it would project itself to the nation and the world.

Calgary's population grew to 235,000 in 1966 from 180,000 a decade earlier. That frenetic growth caused the city to rethink its image. It was decided that this optimism could best be demonstrated by building the tallest free-standing structure in North America. The Husky Tower, subsequently dubbed the Calgary Tower, was Calgary's tribute to Canada's Centennial, and an effort to rejuvenate the downtown core.

When I moved to Calgary in 1971, the tower was still source of pride - especially after San Antonio tried to outdo it with the Tower of the Americas, only to learn the Canadians lied about the Calgary tower's height and it was still taller than its Texas counterpart. This was Calgary's statement. Bold, brash and ready to take on the world.

There were still many who believed the tower and the revitalization of the downtown were fools' causes. Far better, they claimed, to pour that concrete into roads and bridges to break the gridlock on the streets.

It didn't take long for the Calgary Tower to go from casting a long shadow over the Prairies to being dwarfed by other buildings. When a proposal was floated in the 1980s to add another layer and make the building taller, those responsible decided against it. There was no longer a need.

Calgary had arrived. It continues to be considered one of Canada's major cities in terms of architecture, art, planning and development. Its mistakes have been noted and its successes emulated - particularly in Saskatoon, which is now debating how we should announce our arrival to the nation.

A major art gallery seems a more dignified entry point than a tower. There are still those who suggest pouring money into an art gallery is an act of elitism, whereas pouring it into asphalt for potholes, parking spots and snow removal would be more egalitarian.

[....]
Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/travel...#ixzz2W798DEiS

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 9:04 PM

Renderings of the gallery for anyone unfamiliar with the project:

http://www.mendel.ca/remai-ags

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 5:38 PM
ARTchitecture

When will it be complete?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Grand opening in spring 2016, I think?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 7:34 PM
ARTchitecture

Oh really? That's a long construction time for such a relatively small building. What I read after posting that question was their goal for completion was late 2014/early 2015.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Renderings of the gallery for anyone unfamiliar with the project:

1 st time viewing the renders. Very impressive space proposed. Love to attend the gallery when completed!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Oh really? That's a long construction time for such a relatively small building. What I read after posting that question was their goal for completion was late 2014/early 2015.
That opening date was cited for a long time until the official groundbreaking occurred, and the City said it would be 2016. Not sure of why it was pushed back.

Perhaps they're playing it safe since we all know how these construction timelines always seem to go.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:39 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
1 st time viewing the renders. Very impressive space proposed. Love to attend the gallery when completed!
It's not proposed, it's under construction... refer to the title of the thread.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
It's not proposed, it's under construction... refer to the title of the thread.
Yes I'm aware that it's under construction, I was refering to the renders, which sometimes look different from the finished dev. Is that better?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 11:30 PM
ARTchitecture

Alright.

Is there gonna be a parkade built under the art gallery? I was looking at the page for River Landing, and it seems a parkade for the entire park is/or was? a part of this development.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 11:40 PM

The original design called for a 2 level underground parkade. After the project came in over budget there was talk of scaling back the parkade to a single level but I'm not sure what finally transpired. The excavation adjacent to the theatre in the photo above looks pretty shallow for 2 levels, but hopefully someone knows for sure and will confirm.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 1:35 AM

The River Landing website states that the parkade will have 155 stalls.

http://riverlanding.ca/project_updat...wan/index.html

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 3:11 PM

Quote:
You know, this may end up being a white elephant, and may be thought of as "un-needed" by many in this city, but it will definatly have a MASSIVE impact to a better look for downtown overall. As the west side of Idylwyle bridge gets developed it will be a great entrance into the city! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
You know, this may end up being a white elephant, and may be thought of as "un-needed" by many in this city, but it will definatly have a MASSIVE impact to a better look for downtown overall. As the west side of Idylwyle bridge gets developed it will be a great entrance into the city! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
Any downtown parking will get used, especially if it is within a bock or two of office buildings and the main performing arts theatre.

The gallery will also get used, perhaps with the same number of attendees as Mendal or more given it will have a larger profile.

Worse case, it does not get much use as a gallery the groups running it will simply rent out more and more space for meetings, conferences and special events until they bring in enough cash to cover costs.

Either way it is a positive addition to the city.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2013, 5:53 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
Exactly. Also, Saskatoon seems to have a relatively large arts community so I'm sure it will get lots of use. But it's kind of similar to the old saying "You have to spend money to make money"... but the difference here is "you have to spend money to grow into your potential"

Calgary spent $25 million on a pedestrian bridge. Many saw and still do see it as a white elephant, but anyone who has been on and experienced how cool it is knows that it is a great addition to the city, and that fact that it has won architectural awards across the world displays Calgary's growth into a major metropolis.

Same can be said for Winnipeg's CMHR. It is exhorbitantly expensive and many have and still do see it as a white elephant. But when people see it in photos, and when people come into the downtown and see that magnificent structure, people are going to say "Wow, holy shit that is nice. This city is pretty sweet!"

... just like people driving over the Idylwyle Bridge, people will see this and think "Wow that's nice. Never thought I'd see this in a Prairie town. Wonder what it is?" It will create interest for people in that whole area of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 3:10 PM

I find the architectural design of the Art Gallery of Saskatchewan some what uninspiring, bland and uninteresting. I like the play on clear glass and solid dark outside wall blocks on each level but otherwise not very exciting. The new Holiday Inn on Pacific ave has gotten a lot of criticism for being grey and institutional, looking like a penitentiary.

Holiday Inn Saskatoon Downtown

I'm seeing AGS looking closer to that than something 'wow,interesting lets check this out', but as long as people see it as a winner then it will succeed as something in the end.

Some recently built buildings on the Prairies that I think are more art gallery worthy designs are new CHRM and Art Gallery of Alberta, I do understand that Saskatoon's gallery is being built under a budget though..

Canadian_Museum_for_Human_Rights_under_Construction_03

main_aga

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan