HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 4:00 AM
ARTchitecture

Nice the glass looks flawless. It would have sucked if the glass was all warpy, but this stuff looks great!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:37 PM

Remai offers $2M for gallery addition

By Phil Tank, The StarPhoenix May 15, 2015

Quote:
The Remai Modern Art Gallery board wants to add another $2 million worth of work to the project, but it's not supposed to cost taxpayers another penny.

Board chair Alain Gaucher and gallery executive director Gregory Burke wrote a letter to Saskatoon city council's executive committee seeking permission to expand the work at the gallery to include two additional items.

The $2 million needed to pay for the completion of the "shell gallery" and a ground floor security wall and perimeter would come from the gallery's chief donor, Ellen Remai, whose foundation has already provided $30 million in capital and operational funding.

"This is not about asking for more money from taxpayers," Gaucher said in an interview Thursday. "Fiscal prudence is why it wasn't in the original plan, because the city didn't want to spend any more of its money."

The letter to council stresses the need to complete the two elements at the same time as the rest of the gallery.

Gaucher said he is confident the additional work can be completed for $2 million, but added the board is getting an independent assessment of the cost.

He explained the security wall and perimeter are necessary to accommodate changes to the plan for the restaurant in the gallery building. A glass partition wall would separate the restaurant from the gallery and establish a security perimeter screening from the foyer to the restaurant that would include a metal grille or partition for use when the gallery is closed and the restaurant is open.

"Very importantly, it allows the restaurant to operate in the evening when the gallery is closed," Burke said.

[....]
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entert...710/story.html

It's exciting that fundraising for the gallery remains strong and that the gallery board is adding all the bells and whistles they can to the project from the start, instead of having a long list of deferred items to add over the long term. This particularly piqued my interest:

Quote:
He declined to be specific, but said to expect further announcements about additional work at the gallery that will be paid for through donations or sponsorship. A major announcement is expected in the fall, he said.
I am also excited about what has morphed from a gallery cafe to a full-service restaurant within the building that can operate outside of gallery hours. The view from the restaurant, and the patio in summer, will be unbeatable.

Hats off as well to Ellen Remai for her continued generosity. Incredible.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:42 PM

Gallery completion date a year away, says report

The StarPhoenix May 15, 2015

Quote:
A date for completion of the Remai Modern art gallery has been set, despite concerns about whether it can be met.

A report headed to city council's executive committee meeting on Monday sets the "total" completion date for the project at May 24, 2016.

The report says the project faces "schedule challenges" relating to changes in architectural drawings and a delay claim associated with structural steel.

"Financial and schedule challenges have been more prevalent than would be expected at this point in the project," the report says.

It says the opening date for the gallery is set for the Labour Day weekend at the beginning of September 2016.

Mike Gutek, the city's director of major projects, said the contractor, EllisDon, claims shop drawings related to structural steel were not returned fast enough from the city.

Corrections were also made to architectural drawings that could affect the project, Gutek said.

"Every job is different, I guess."

© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entert...714/story.html

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 5:53 PM

Remai

photo of exterior I took last week:

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 6:48 PM

Quote:
A date for completion of the Remai Modern art gallery has been set, despite concerns about whether it can be met.

A report headed to city council's executive committee meeting on Monday sets the "total" completion date for the project at May 24, 2016.

The report says the project faces "schedule challenges" relating to changes in architectural drawings and a delay claim associated with structural steel.

"Financial and schedule challenges have been more prevalent than would be expected at this point in the project," the report says
Of possible interest to everyone here are the original completion dates from the tender documents in the fall of 2012:
Quote:
- Substantially Complete the Work (as defined by the Saskatchewan Builder’s Lien Act) by January 31, 2015.
- Make application for final payment by July 31, 2015.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
photo of exterior I took last week:

Fantastic! Look at that blue Saskatchewan sky in the glass. Just perfect.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Fantastic! Look at that blue Saskatchewan sky in the glass. Just perfect.
That glass on the top floor appears more reflective than on the lower levels, and I don't think it's just the illusion of more sky. Either way it's going to sparkle when complete!

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 3:09 PM

This will be the jewel of not just Saskatoon but the entire prairies when completed.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 3:03 AM

A great photo of the Remai Modern from The StarPhoenix:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...384/story.html

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 2:35 PM

I am getting more and more excited to go and see this place when it opens!

Views alone are going to be spectacular.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
I am getting more and more excited to go and see this place when it opens!

Views alone are going to be spectacular.
Agreed! Congrats Saskatoon!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
A great photo of the Remai Modern from The StarPhoenix:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...384/story.html
I thought there was going to be more of a copper screen over parts of the glass? Has that changed or is it still under construction?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
I thought there was going to be more of a copper screen over parts of the glass? Has that changed or is it still under construction?
Still the plan, just not installed yet I take it:

Source

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Still the plan, just not installed yet I take it:

Source
Ahh yeah. Going over some of the glass I see. Should be a really great building when done and transformative for the city I think.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:15 AM

I, for one, am not a fan of that copper scree and think it would be better to leave off. Put that extra $$ towards some of their deferred wish list items.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:16 PM
arf

^I like the copper screen. Without it the building just reads really dull.

Now whether it is worth the cost or not is another question, but I prefer it with it.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 2:22 PM

The screen is one of those things you have to see in real life IMO. Also I assume it has a functional purpose of keeping summer sun off all that glass.

Last edited by Stormer; Sep 14, 2015 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 3:17 PM

From the architects website:

Quote:
Each of the four stacked horizontal volumes is designed as flexible loft space and oriented for views to the River. The horizontal stratification maximizes south exposure for views and access to natural sunlight. Double-height areas and atria draw light deep into the floorplate, optimizing the low sun angles for passive solar heat gains. Overhangs and screens block sunlight during warmer seasons. These and other architectural and technical strategies are designed to collectively achieve 50% lower energy consumption compared to international gallery standards.

The exterior will be clad in a copper-coloured metal screen. The use of copper was inspired by one of Saskatoon’s historic architectural landmarks, the Bessborough Hotel (CNR, 1932).
So this tells me the screens will oxidize to black just like the Bess and the Legislature dome in Regina, perhaps with a hint of green. Unless they are not actually copper, but it would seem odd to pay homage to the Bess with something that looks completely different.

http://www.kpmb.com/index.asp?navid=...&fid2=105#desc

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 4:26 PM
arf

Copper oxidizes to black with green depending on the climate. More than likely in Saskatoon it will just go black without much green due to the dry climate.

I think it's going to end up looking very slick as time passes. Speaking of which I can't wait to see the cover come off the legislature in Regina.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 29, 2015, 4:29 PM

It looks pretty black in these renders:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan