HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:06 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I'd rather see something clever done at confusion corner to improve throughput. Say a big roundabout or something.
That would be one big round-about... I would hate to be the traffic engineer to try to come up with a design for that, especially with all the pedestrian/bus traffic.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
What should be done? I don't understand what you mean by "something". Do you think they should widen Osborne? Donald? Both?
No idea, I'm not a traffic engineer. The city has not invested in proper transportation infrastructure and will pay for it by having to eventually having to rip up neighbourhoods to get people in and out of the core. Yes, Osborne Village could be a causality of this but widening Donald would be far less disruptive.

Either that or more and more workplaces will move to the suburbs. This is already happening.

People will not abandon their cars here. It's just too cold to wait outside for a bus that may or may not come.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 4:56 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I'd rather see something clever done at confusion corner to improve throughput. Say a big roundabout or something.
As amazingly cool as that would be I've seen how Winnipeggers react to the mini ones on the residential streets. The death toll would be massive!

It would be really cool though... Put a massive art piece in the middle, or a nice plaza area, or both..

Something clever should be done though... Maybe put the whole damn intersection underground, tear down the burger king and the dollar store building then make the whole area a park. Picture a park going all the way to the Osborne rapid transit station.

Totally impossible and would require billions of dollars to accomplish, but I can dream!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:13 PM

I think one option would be for Osborne to underpass confusion corner completely. Basically an extension of the underpass that is there on the south side, under the RT station. That would eliminate a lot of the bottle neck on Osborne. Of course now how do you get from Osborne to Pembina or Corydon? Could make it work. But it would eliminate a lot of the congestion.

I went through there yesterday and the idea of demolishing the Burger King and all that other crap that's in there would help a lot as well. More room to get lanes through there. In conjunction with the underpass it could work.

But widening Osborne through the village seems like a really bad idea. One of the only areas of the city that has some character and people actually like living/going there. Just does not seem like a good idea to demolish it for a road. If anything, widen Donald and the Midtown Bridge to get downtown.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 8:25 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

I for one love the mess and traffic jams at Confusion Corner.

Its the best advertising that Winnipeg Transit has.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 9:24 PM
Source?

Speaking of traffic. Are there any plans to create a dedicated bike path on Wellington Cres? It's a very popular bike path in a very beautiful area. It would be perfect to have it's own path.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 9:26 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Speaking of traffic. Are there any plans to create a dedicated bike path on Wellington Cres? It's a very popular bike path in a very beautiful area. It would be perfect to have it's own path.
It has one, right down the centre.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 10:27 PM

I've never understood the belly-aching over Confusion Corner. IMO we have way more pressing bottlenecks, mostly getting across the river for those people that have to make that commute.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 11:28 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It has one, right down the centre.
I didn't mean the mansion part, I ment the tower part!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 11:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I didn't mean the mansion part, I meant the tower part!
That took me a minute!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 3:38 PM
Source?

Our Little Italy going upscale
Developer involved in 13 condo projects

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...214868441.html

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Our Little Italy going upscale
Developer involved in 13 condo projects

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...214868441.html
I actually like what thier doing in the Crescent Wood/Corydon area.
All these new dev. / condos really add to the older residential structures and remove many of the neglected and run down housing south of corydon. Expensive, but it does give the area some "new life".

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 6:14 PM
BANNED

here is a list/renderings of the projects: http://waltercorp.com/projects

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 4:12 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
For a starter question I've been wanting to ask this for a long time now... Is it REALLY true that they plan to widen Osborne street? and in the process tear down some buildings in the heart of the village?

Is this still a real plan?
i did look this up once...as i recall it actually is part of the zoning requirement for the street....i believe it was amended by the new neighbourhood plan but the requirement still exists on Osborne as soon as you leave the village itself to the south.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
i did look this up once...as i recall it actually is part of the zoning requirement for the street....i believe it was amended by the new neighbourhood plan but the requirement still exists on Osborne as soon as you leave the village itself to the south.
Interesting, I noticed that they were doing some work where the old Ronalds Fine Shoes at 689 Osborne was and it looked like they are marking where the new building will be. I was wondering why it was set back a little.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:15 PM

I'm pretty sure that when that old building in OV burned down years ago (arson) and was replaced with the TD 'strip mall' that they had to set it back due to future street widening.

Centre Village on Balmoral is also set back for future street widening.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 4:58 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I'm pretty sure that when that old building in OV burned down years ago (arson) and was replaced with the TD 'strip mall' that they had to set it back due to future street widening.

Centre Village on Balmoral is also set back for future street widening.
Does the City not understand that the reason that Osborne is the "best neighbourhood in Canada" is because it is pedestrian friendly? Corydon and Osborne would not be what they are if they were wider, because the pedestrians wouldn't feel as safe on/in the street.

If they widen Osborne I can see it going downhill fast.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 5:37 PM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Does the City not understand that the reason that Osborne is the "best neighbourhood in Canada" is because it is pedestrian friendly? Corydon and Osborne would not be what they are if they were wider, because the pedestrians wouldn't feel as safe on/in the street.

If they widen Osborne I can see it going downhill fast.
Would be a true shame.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 6:00 PM
What could go wrong?

That is an awe-full lot of buildings to wait until they burn down. Hard to believe that this plan will ever happen. The City should try planning for something they can control.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 7:03 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
That is an awe-full lot of buildings to wait until they burn down. Hard to believe that this plan will ever happen. The City should try planning for something they can control.
It's easier to sit/wait/do nothing, than it is to change confusion corner, or build a new bridge out of downtown to the south.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan