HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 6:31 PM

Winnipeg's Exchange District | East/West | Development

Development in Winnipeg's Historic Exchange District.

Bars, Condos ,Restaurants, Parking, Apartments, Buisness, Photos, Entertainment..Lifestyle.

Images courtesy of:http://www.exchangedistrict.org/ http://www.winnipeg.ca
Other Facts/Information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchange_District

Last edited by Cyro; Jul 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: image change

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 7:13 PM

Exchange District:

- located in the heart of Winnipeg, the Exchange District National Historic Site boasts a spectacular collection of terra cotta and cut-stone architecture. Established at the turn of the 20th century, the Exchange District is the original centre of commerce and culture in Winnipeg. Today’s Exchange District is teeming with incredible shopping and cultural opportunities. Visit unique retailers, galleries, eateries and much more. Uncover the wealth of experiences this neighbourhood has to offer while taking a trip through the District’s storied history on a guided walking tour.

- Top Places to Eat
Bailey’s Restaurant and Bar
Hermanos Restaurant & Wine Bar
King’s Head Pub and Eatery
Smoke’s Poutinerie....among others...(see link)

- Top Places to Shop
Cake-ology
The Haberdashery Guys & Girls
Mayberry Fine Art ..(see website for more)

- Top Things to See and Do
Centennial Concert Hall,
Cinematheque
The Manitoba Museum
Pantages Playhouse.
Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre

http://www.tourismwinnipeg.com/visit...hange-district

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 1:51 AM
Starring as himself

Great idea, but is there a more recent street plan available? That one is pre-Waterfront Drive.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Great idea, but is there a more recent street plan available? That one is pre-Waterfront Drive.
Very True. If anyone has a better image than the 2nd one I just posted, please let me know. or post it and I'll change it. Thx

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 2:54 PM

Plan to entice people to The Exchange proceeds
July 2013

The city is one step closer to committing almost $4 million in future taxes to entice residents for The Exchange/Waterfront area after recent condo sales fell below expectations.

A report approved by the city’s downtown development committee Monday calls for $3.89 million in funding and a loan guarantee of up to $7.785 million for Centre Venture Development Corp. to administer the initiative.

If approved by council and the province, the project is expected to net $17 million in tax revenue for the governments, after their investments are removed.

The project would also seek to entice retailers and a grocery store, potentially with additional financial incentives.

http://www.economicdevelopmentwinnip...hange-proceeds

Tax incentives? Expectations for all the new condo developments seem to be falling below expectations.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Plan to entice people to The Exchange proceeds
July 2013

The city is one step closer to committing almost $4 million in future taxes to entice residents for The Exchange/Waterfront area after recent condo sales fell below expectations.

A report approved by the city’s downtown development committee Monday calls for $3.89 million in funding and a loan guarantee of up to $7.785 million for Centre Venture Development Corp. to administer the initiative.

If approved by council and the province, the project is expected to net $17 million in tax revenue for the governments, after their investments are removed.

The project would also seek to entice retailers and a grocery store, potentially with additional financial incentives.

http://www.economicdevelopmentwinnip...hange-proceeds

Tax incentives? Expectations for all the new condo developments seem to be falling below expectations.
Quote:
Ross McGowan, CEO of Centre Venture, assured councillors it wouldn’t be. He said 123 completed or under-construction condo units in the area currently remain unsold and some expected projects risk not proceeding.
Is it just me or does 123 units seems high?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Is it just me or does 123 units seems high?
It does seem high, and some are at risk of not proceeding? To much, to quick to soon? Not an ideal situation.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 5:10 PM
Source?

Can they PLEASE pick 1 side walk design and stick to it..

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Can they PLEASE pick 1 side walk design and stick to it..
Yeah I hear you. Why do the district sidewalks, roads in some cases, change thier brick work from street to street? I'm sure someone mentioned the same thing in another thread somewhere on here?

Someone more in tune with Winnipeg's Infrastucture and road work may have a better idea.

I paved quite a few drive ways in Lindenwoods and newer dev. in the city, they were all different, personal choice by the owners, understandable.

But an entire Historic District? Cost?, etc. Good question.

Maybe City Hall could answer this one as well.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 1:13 PM

so does this apply to people (like me) who just purchased a condo (sky 2) but havne't taken possession becuase its still in construction, and technically i haven't put down a full downpayment yet?

Buy new condo, pick up $10K
Part of city plan for Waterfront, Exchange area

By: Bartley Kives

Posted: 1:00 AM | Comments: 6 | Last Modified: 6:29 AM | Updates

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...215785151.html

The City of Winnipeg plans to hand $10,000 cheques to anyone who buys a new condo in the Exchange District or along Waterfront Drive as part of a $7.8-million plan to revitalize the northeastern third of downtown........

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 2:08 PM

Being a resident of the East Exchange I have noted two major problems with slow sales in the area. The first one is the lack of parking for the condo conversions around James. This is the city's fault because they are sitting on their asses and stalling the James Street Parkade project. I am all for pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods. But most do have a car and need to store them for when a road trip comes up or for many other reasons that transit, walking, cabbing, biking just is not ideal.
Second is the lack of a grocery tenant. Unfortunately, it will most likely be at least 2017/2018 when Fortress finally completes their project with a grocery tenant, and that still isn't a done deal. If this city wants a vibrant, sustainable neighborhood like Osborne Village, we need a good size grocery tenant. Not a 3, 000 sq foot speciality food, wine cheese, or convenience store. The Exchange boasts many restaurants, bars, attractions, and speciality shops that actually puts Osborne Village to shame. If the Exchange landed a big name grocer, I could see this area surpassing the desirable levels the Village currently holds.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
Being a resident of the East Exchange I have noted two major problems with slow sales in the area. The first one is the lack of parking for the condo conversions around James. This is the city's fault because they are sitting on their asses and stalling the James Street Parkade project. I am all for pedestrian friendly neighbourhoods. But most do have a car and need to store them for when a road trip comes up or for many other reasons that transit, walking, cabbing, biking just is not ideal.
Second is the lack of a grocery tenant. Unfortunately, it will most likely be at least 2017/2018 when Fortress finally completes their project with a grocery tenant, and that still isn't a done deal. If this city wants a vibrant, sustainable neighborhood like Osborne Village, we need a good size grocery tenant. Not a 3, 000 sq foot speciality food, wine cheese, or convenience store. The Exchange boasts many restaurants, bars, attractions, and speciality shops that actually puts Osborne Village to shame. If the Exchange landed a big name grocer, I could see this area surpassing the desirable levels the Village currently holds.
yup, agreed. parking was number 1 on my list, becuase i do own a car...and i would like it to be in a secure spot..especially downtown. havne't seen many specialty shops tho..im assuming your talking more about west exchange? defiintely agree with the restaurants, they seem to be at a different level compared to the village. would be nice to see more shops on waterfront ave, i see too many for lease signs...

would be nice to see like a tims hortons or some sort of cafe, or dessert/sandwich place, or something along those lines thats quick. theres alot of residents and businesses around the area that could really support that thing imo

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctochico View Post
so does this apply to people (like me) who just purchased a condo (sky 2) but havne't taken possession becuase its still in construction, and technically i haven't put down a full downpayment yet? :shrug:

Buy new condo, pick up $10K
Part of city plan for Waterfront, Exchange area
By: Bartley Kives

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...215785151.html

The City of Winnipeg plans to hand $10,000 cheques to anyone who buys a new condo in the Exchange District or along Waterfront Drive as part of a $7.8-million plan to revitalize the northeastern third of downtown........

Quote:
On Wednesday, Winnipeg consumers who've recently purchased Exchange District and Waterfront Drive condos were left wondering whether they would qualify for the new incentive -- and if not, whether they should purchase later in order to receive the $10,000 cheque.

"People will ask that question: 'Why buy a condo until this is in place?' " said Ryan Loiselle, who has placed a deposit on a Waterfront Drive condominium. "I should be eligible for that and so should the other families moving in to the other units."

The mayor did not see it that way. "As a consumer, you purchase something -- and a week, a day or a month (later) it's on sale," Katz said. "That happens every day of our lives."
I guess this is the answer they're giving??

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 7:13 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
If the Exchange landed a big name grocer, I could see this area surpassing the desirable levels the Village currently holds.
I just don't see it. Grocery stores have to move a lot of product to make a profit and that means a lot of customers. I see the number of stores dropping before any new ones get built.

Looks like the Bronx Safeway is on its way out judging by the increasing amount of empty shelves.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
I guess this is the answer they're giving??
If something's on sale the next day or even week, you can usually go in and get the discount. So I don't buy Sammy's the Snake's excuse on that one.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:57 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I went there for my first - and only - time this February. I think the bartender stole my ten bucks for tip money that night (the whole place was dead), the club photographer never uploaded pics as it was "only for the DJs for promotions", and my friend in a wheelchair nearly got lit completely on fire by a cigarette rubbed out onto his leather jacket. No love missed from me, that club was a shit-sty. Only nice thing was the layout, that was it...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I just don't see it. Grocery stores have to move a lot of product to make a profit and that means a lot of customers. I see the number of stores dropping before any new ones get built.

Looks like the Bronx Safeway is on its way out judging by the increasing amount of empty shelves.
This store is usually like that in the summer. This year is worse as one of the F/T staff who you would see walking the isles with the stock scan gun retired a few weeks ago and I don't think he was replaced.

The other two f/t people who also do ordering may be on holidays as I have not seen them in the store either.

If your one of the lucky customers who got elite status @ Safeway there is a direct line to the store manager on your receipt.

For some reason I was elite on Wednesday and the number showed up, Thursday when I went back for what I missed the day before the elite status message was gone from that receipt.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 6:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

Pretty sure the Bronx Safeway will be the first casualty of the Sobey's/Safeway merger, sad because that's where I buy my milk and dairy.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I haven't been there since it first opened but I was told it was really catering to a certain ethnic base in the last little while which wasn't enough to sustain it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan