HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 9:36 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
This store is usually like that in the summer. This year is worse as one of the F/T staff who you would see walking the isles with the stock scan gun retired a few weeks ago and I don't think he was replaced.
The old guy who usually did the produce?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 2:13 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I haven't been there since it first opened but I was told it was really catering to a certain ethnic base in the last little while which wasn't enough to sustain it.
Asians! Well, with Elements also in the Maples along with the fact people my age are starting to re-visit pubs and smaller bars, the nightclub scene in Winnipeg is going to have hard times ahead outside of the Canad Inns ones and Whiskey Dix...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The old guy who usually did the produce?
No, he is still around, he works part time.

The one I am talking about worked days, husky guy, glasses, looked after the dairy racks a lot among other things.

And no he's not the one with the pony tail, that guy is still around.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 7:45 PM

All the surface lots in the East Exchange alone. Make one of them a Urban Sobey's and the rest mixed use residential then the city wouldn't have to worry about a vibrant downtown!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 9:27 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post

All the surface lots in the East Exchange alone. Make one of them a Urban Sobey's and the rest mixed use residential then the city wouldn't have to worry about a vibrant downtown!
I've proposed that #18 would be a good location for Urban Fresh, as the ground floor of a new parking structure, but they don't seem to be taking the hint.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 9:38 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

18 is 3 different owners on 3 different properties if i am not mistaken

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 10:02 PM

I believe "12" is owned by one party whom live in Florida. "13" was put aside for the expansion of the building where LIV In The Exchange Bar (formally called "Alive") is located. "12" would be a perfect location for main level retail with above ground parking and topped with residential. 12-15 stories high would fit an Urban Fresh, A restaurant or two, Café, some retail and at least 500-600 residential units IMO.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 2:44 AM

If you play around with the City of Winnipeg's property assessment map, it appears that the assessed values of a number of surface lots in the Exchange District and downtown in general are increasing, some dramatically so. e.g. The small surface lot on the northwest corner of Portage East and Westbrook is rising from an assessed value of $599,000 (2013) to a proposed assessed value for 2014 of $1,021,000. Just toggle between 2013 and 2014 at this site:

http://map.winnipeg.ca/AsmtPreview/A...EN&Maptype=ADV

Other lots, like the former McIntyre Block, jumped as well.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 2:48 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I've proposed that #18 would be a good location for Urban Fresh, as the ground floor of a new parking structure, but they don't seem to be taking the hint.
That would be nice if only Sobeys hadn't dropped the Urban Fresh concept a couple years ago.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 5:54 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
That would be nice if only Sobeys hadn't dropped the Urban Fresh concept a couple years ago.
They might be de-emphasizing it but there are still "Urban Fresh" locations on their website, e.g. http://www.sobeys.com/en/In-My-Store.../services.aspx

Anyway, it doesn't matter what it's called. Some sort of grocery store would work well in location 18. I wonder whether a combined Shoppers/Loblaws would work, once the Loblaw Cos. acquisition of Shoppers goes through. Loblaws is supposedly doing that deal to get better footholds in urban markets.

To me, the issue is that there aren't enough people in the Exchange to justify a store, so you have to combine it with another market. A location on Portage East combined with a parking garage would add office workers to the mix, and also be close enough to serve people in north St. Boniface. Plus you could add a nice family restaurant aimed at the ballpark and CMHR crowds. Another good point would be that a big carpark would allow something nice to be done with the old Codville site (17) instead of keeping it for ballpark parking.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:07 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDavid Exchange View Post
I believe "12" is owned by one party whom live in Florida. "13" was put aside for the expansion of the building where LIV In The Exchange Bar (formally called "Alive") is located. "12" would be a perfect location for main level retail with above ground parking and topped with residential. 12-15 stories high would fit an Urban Fresh, A restaurant or two, Café, some retail and at least 500-600 residential units IMO.
i hate number 12...blame centre venture for its continued existence....the owner of that lot submitted a proposal during the rfp process when waterfront drive was being built for the piece of land along waterfront....the idea was that it would be a gateway to create a much larger project on the bigger lot behind....inexplicably the property went to whoever built ship street condos and now that tiny little building land locks the huge parking lot from the lucrative riverfront exposure....the McDermot side essentially is a back lane, so that huge property now only has one real front street, Bannatyne.

it absolutely blew my mind (and the property owner's mind) when that happened

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 8:22 PM

City Council appears ready to flip-flop on the proposed condo subsidy:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...216478391.html

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Some councillors rethinking approval of condo subsidy

"City hall’s plan to cut $10,000 cheques to anyone who buys a new Exchange District or Waterfront Drive condo appears destined to be amended or killed this fall, as some of the councillors who voted in favour of the plan are reconsidering the idea."

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 9:17 PM
BANNED

My understanding is that these units attracted the interest of many people, however once they heard there was no parking stalls available, they walked away. If this is the case, who do you blame? The developer or the city for such lack of insight? It's not because of crime or poor people or whatever other excuse some are barking about; it's the lack of parking. Address this issue and then this whole problem goes away.

I swear, if we don't have the most incompetent civic leadership in the entire country, then we are at least in the top 5 of that shameful category.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
My understanding is that these units attracted the interest of many people, however once they heard there was no parking stalls available, they walked away. If this is the case, who do you blame? The developer or the city for such lack of insight? It's not because of crime or poor people or whatever other excuse some are barking about; it's the lack of parking. Address this issue and then this whole problem goes away.

I swear, if we don't have the most incompetent civic leadership in the entire country, then we are at least in the top 5 of that shameful category.
Speaking of no parking in the area, things aren't looking good for the Lilly/James/Amy parking lot development:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...?device=mobile

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 1:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Speaking of no parking in the area, things aren't looking good for the Lilly/James/Amy parking lot development:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...?device=mobile
That is actually old news. That partnership fell apart months ago, the WFP is just behind on the story. The City, CentreVenture and the Province are currently working on a parkade only proposal. Something should be released shortly regarding this.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:02 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I don't understand this. Why does the taxpayer have to pick up the tab for parking spots for condo owners? Why don't the condo owners pay for parking spots like they do in every other city?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:09 PM

The issue is not who is paying for the parking spots as ultimately the condo owners are not going to be parking for free in the new parkade. The issue is that the developer had an agreement in principal that they did not need on-site parking as they would be able to use the parkade someone else would be building. This is the exact same arguement I have with developments such as the Convention Centre expansion and Westin Hotel both of which are based on someone else looking after the parking needs their projects generate.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:10 PM
surely you agree with me

yes this is very old news.

the cost of parking is still not high enough to be profitable in the exchange....construction costs are higher then rental values....same goes for the units themselves actually.

would be great to allow free market to reign but that's simply not the reality yet...hopefully one day it is but if we want to germinate a downtown residential market it will take help from government.

the one I don't get is the $5m we gave to the chipmans for their parkade...was there really a shortage of parking near the MTS centre that needed to be addressed by government?....the entire $10m should have gone to the parkade that would help residential growth, not just line the pockets of the jets' owners, yet again.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
That is actually old news. That partnership fell apart months ago, the WFP is just behind on the story. The City, CentreVenture and the Province are currently working on a parkade only proposal. Something should be released shortly regarding this.
Thanks Biff. I suppose it's just coming to light in the news now as it sort of ties in with the condo incentive story.

I was down on James last night and the line-ups at the parking pay stations where dozens deep. With the Fringe, Goldeyes and Les Mis going on at the same time, there were not many parking spots left to be had.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
would be great to allow free market to reign but that's simply not the reality yet...hopefully one day it is but if we want to germinate a downtown residential market it will take help from government.

the one I don't get is the $5m we gave to the chipmans for their parkade...was there really a shortage of parking near the MTS centre that needed to be addressed by government?....the entire $10m should have gone to the parkade that would help residential growth, not just line the pockets of the jets' owners, yet again.
Is not the 5$ Million for the parkade not going to help Downtown residential (portage ave.) growth in the way of the Glass House Condo tower?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan