HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 6:36 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I know generally what they did to reduce costs, and it had nothing to do with local experience or lack there of.

Let's just chalk it up to a lack of communication.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I know generally what they did to reduce costs, and it had nothing to do with local experience or lack there of.

Let's just chalk it up to a lack of communication.
To be clear, I didn't mean to suggest there was a lack of competency on the part of local consultants, only that a bonding company may look less favourably upon a group that had yet to construct something of this sort. In my experience, the willingness and cost to bond certain contractors or insure certain consultants on a particular project can be the difference between a feasible project and one that isn't. Again, strictly speculation here. I'd be curious as to what was at play here when you say 'miscommunication'; $10MM is a lot of miscommunication!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 3:24 PM

I do not know how they will make money on this project.

Unless you have full control over the architecture and engineering, you are doomed from the start.

Not as bad on wood-framed structures.

Last edited by Winnipeg Architect; Apr 23, 2014 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 3:56 PM

Excellent news, finally moving forward apprx: 2 months after the projected start date.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 3:50 PM

Great Location! Too bad that Sandhu Developments got their hands on it though.

Who is the General Contractor on this project?
Run for the hills FAST if Sandhu is trying to GC this on their own.

Have you're lawyer read the agreement carefully and put in some of your own stipulations. If you buy expect that you will not get what you thought you were going to get. This developer has a past of being very dishonest and arrogant. Cover your bases.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:34 PM

As far as I'm aware of, Accel Construction Management of Toronto will be involved.
If it's not, someone here will chime in shortly.

It's always prudent to have sound financial advice if your not accustomed or familiar with real estate purchases or investment and more so if your investment is a proposal and in the initial stages of it's proposed construction. Regardless If it's this particular development firm or any other.

Do you have anything you'd like to share reg: your comments? Bad experience maybe.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Do you have anything you'd like to share reg: your comments? Bad experience maybe.
I'll start by saying, I hope they've learned a lot of valuable lessons and changed their ways over the past few years. It's one thing to make mistakes, own up to them, and solve the problems. It's another to show complete ignorance and allow your mistakes to compound while showing complete disrespect to your clients.

Anyways, I don't want to get into specifics really. I understand you're a buyer in this building and I would imagine that you're experience very likely will not be as terrible as many clients in the past. I know that the majority (70-80%) of purchasers in one of their developments would not have anything good to say about Sandhu Developments ranging from stories about significant problems, to outright lies and deceipt before, during, and after construction.

This is by far their largest project. Hopefully they can handle the learning curve with some honorable business ethics, however I suspect that only a quality GC with a conscience and serious backbone will save them here.

Awesome location though! I would have bought one if a different developer. Lol

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:20 PM

No, I'm not a buyer or investor in the d Condo project as I've already mentioned in this thread.
(page 2 of only 3 in this thread). Have I invested in real estate, yes.

It's unfortunate that 80% of people??? Who have purchased in "other projects developed by them", have been disappointed. You are talking about other projects, not a contract you signed with them for a unit in d Condos?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
It's unfortunate that 80% of people??? Who have purchased in "other projects developed by them", have been disappointed. You are talking about other projects, not a contract you signed with them for a unit in d Condos?
Correct, past projects.
Hopefully they've learned some lessons, but judging by the astounding arrogance i've seen in the past by the "main players" in Sandhu Developments, I would expect not a lot has changed.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:44 PM

Your posts are very vague, so I can't really comment on the speculations and/or rumors you speak of or are referencing. Your not happy with Sandhu but would buy a unit here if they were not involved? That's what the contract is for, to outline how you would be covered if this project never materialized.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see other issues you'd like to discuss with posters.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Your posts are very vague, so I can't really comment on the speculations and/or rumors you speak of or are referencing. Your not happy with Sandhu but would buy a unit here if they were not involved? That's what the contract is for, to outline how you would be covered if this project never materialized.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see other issues you'd like to discuss with posters.
Just commenting on the character of Sandhu Developments. It's a great location and when I heard it was being developed I looked into it. I cringed when I found out who the developer was and dropped all interest.

Thanks for the welcome. Hope to take part in more discussions on this forum. I really enjoy seeing development Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet View Post
Thanks for the welcome. Hope to take part in more discussions on this forum. I really enjoy seeing development Winnipeg.
As do I. It's always interesting to hear comments from all points of view and perspective. Have fun.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet View Post
I'll start by saying, I hope they've learned a lot of valuable lessons and changed their ways over the past few years. It's one thing to make mistakes, own up to them, and solve the problems. It's another to show complete ignorance and allow your mistakes to compound while showing complete disrespect to your clients.

Anyways, I don't want to get into specifics really. I understand you're a buyer in this building and I would imagine that you're experience very likely will not be as terrible as many clients in the past. I know that the majority (70-80%) of purchasers in one of their developments would not have anything good to say about Sandhu Developments ranging from stories about significant problems, to outright lies and deceipt before, during, and after construction.

This is by far their largest project. Hopefully they can handle the learning curve with some honorable business ethics, however I suspect that only a quality GC with a conscience and serious backbone will save them here.

Awesome location though! I would have bought one if a different developer. Lol
I had a friend who's daughter bought a condo at The Sands and after they were done, her condo was less square footage as they had to widen the hallway. They were about 1 year late in the occupancy date and they just told her to give back the condo so they could sell it for more money.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
I had a friend who's daughter bought a condo at The Sands and after they were done, her condo was less square footage as they had to widen the hallway. They were about 1 year late in the occupancy date and they just told her to give back the condo so they could sell it for more money.
That's the Sandhu Developments I know! A tiger doesn't change its stripes. I'm sure they were extremely rude and insulting to her as well.

I hope she filed a claim against them for the lesser square footage multiplied by the value per square foot of what she paid.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
That reminds me of this one time when I knew some people that purchased a condo built by Michael Mark (M2 Engineering).

He had a display unit with sliding glass doors, brick finishing, and then didn't include either of those in the finished product.

When my friends main closest, and storage room was cut in half due to improper building design, Marks said he wouldn't reimburse any money and directed anymore inquiries to his lawyer.

He also claimed that it wasn't a million dollar condo purchase so they should be happy with the imperfections they received in the so called finished product.

Guess it came back to bite him in with his failed H20 project.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 3:17 AM

I received a price list for d condo the other day. Are people in Winnipeg actually going to pay 405,000 for a 820 sqft condo? That was the cheapest 2 bedroom available on the lowest floor. Wow

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:58 AM

Interesting first post

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1010 View Post
I received a price list for d condo the other day. Are people in Winnipeg actually going to pay 405,000 for a 820 sqft condo? That was the cheapest 2 bedroom available on the lowest floor. Wow
I referred to this in another thread. Cyro went off on me like I was trying to kill the project single-handedly. Adjustments are in and in some cases units have been bumped to over $500/sq ft. There are still kinks in the project to be worked out...

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Adjustments are in and in some cases units have been bumped to over $500/sq ft. There are still kinks in the project to be worked out...
That is some kink…

Well….good on them I suppose if they can sell those. How on earth did it end up going that high??

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
That is some kink…

Well….good on them I suppose if they can sell those. How on earth did it end up going that high??
Maybe they thought they could get away with it after getting 10m over budget.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan