HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 11:29 PM

Fin du thread

But really, I wish Canadian west coast beers were easier to find in Quebec. I've heard great things, but seldom do I find them in depanneurs/SAQ.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 12:46 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Behold.

Outstanding find. I love it. Shawinigan Handshake. I miss Jean Chretien.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 12:49 AM
The Vomit Bag.

a very nice beer from St. Thomas (hard-luck-town, Ontario). Hard to find, but tastes great.

onebeeratatime
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:16 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Epic beer store rant:

Quote:
First Impression
When you first walk into an Ontario so called "Beer Store", you immediately think that this is not a general beer store. It is a beer store owned by makers of Coors Light and Molson Canadian. Well, you are right. They own it and run it. They are foreigners too. These two beers are owned by Americans and Belgians. Where does Ontario, or even Canada fit in? We don't. We are just forced by our dictatorship politicians from Ontario to buy foreign controled beer. The beer may be brewed here, but the profits of this beer store go out of the country. Now, back to this monopoly store. When you first walk into the store, you are surrounded by beer brewed by Molson/Coors and Labatt. It is everywhere. On the floor, walls and just about every spot has a product by these foreign brewers. Now, where to buy beer? Well, I had to ask. I see people ( sheep ) on the side returning empties on a roller. I can't see what other beer they may sell because everyone is in the way. They do this on purpose so you give up and go buy some bland, yellow lager that is all they sell. To make things go easier, just do what everyone else is doing. Go along the back wall and pick up off the floor, yes off of the floor and go to the cashier who is in the middle of the store. If the line up is full, just put it down on the floor and kick it along until you get to the cashier. Ever heard of Russian bread lines? This reminds me of that. Stay in line, shut up and buy over priced, tasteless, bland, piss yellow lagers and go home. Did you notice the look on peoples faces? A look of doom and gloom. They want beer, love beer but the prices are quite a shock. One rule though. Don't ever, ever ask for a six pack of say Millstreet Tankhouse Ale at 5 o'clock on a Friday afternoon. I did and I pissed off a few piss yellow lager beer customers. Since there is no self serve, they had to go way at the back in the cold room where you are not allowed to go and get your wonderful hoppy six pack of craft beer. Grumblings were everywhere from the piss yellow lager customers as they had to wait their turn. Hey, just sit on your case of beer and shut up. Too bad they changed most of their beer stores from self serve to the old 60's style I remember when I was young with my parents. This is better for them because they don't want you to look at beer that they don't make. That would be wrong. Remember the word monopoly. That is what they have. Competition? Nope. None. If you don't buy your beer here, well screw you. Try to go somewhere else. This is the beer store. You'll be back. I know you can buy beer at the LCBO. They are slowly starting to get a good selection of Ontario Craft Beers, but in smaller communities it is very limited. As you can tell, I am very frustrated by this store. The service is good. Not great, but okay as far as I am concerned. Back when I started to buy beer back in the 70's it was horrible. They were rude, ignorant and just didn't give a shit about their customers. Some stores are still like that that. This blog is just a tip of the iceberg on this absolutely stupid and old fashioned store that makes it very hard to buy craft beer. It is so evident when you go in. Buy our beer? Easy and quick. Buy craft beer? Difficult and slow. I will be adding more on this blog on a regular basis. There is so much wrong about the way we are forced to buy beer in Ontario. This is the biggest reason we are a laughed at from the rest of Canada and especially the US. Later...
Posted by 4 Dog Brewery at 7:45 AM No comments:
http://beerstoresucks.blogspot.ca/

Basically, yes.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:52 AM
Registered Drug User

The Beer Store in Ontario has to go. It's time. We are not children. Habfanman was right about one thing about Ontario--we've got a childish attitude to alcohol, at least as it's expressed in the way it's handled by our provincial government.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Epic beer store rant:

http://beerstoresucks.blogspot.ca/

Basically, yes.
You have to wonder how much money is slipped under the table to the political class so that they allow this to continue?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 2:40 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

I've never made a purchase at the beer store - its only use is the occasional returning of empties. They're dreary little shitholes that provide the most miserable shopping experience possible, the beer selection is inferior to the LCBO, and (perhaps tellingly) the clientel at my local stores seems to consist exclusively of homeless people, Mexican gangsters, and other assorted sketchbags. But worst of all is that it's a government-protected, private, foreign-owned monopoly. The worst of all worlds.

As much as I dislike the monopoly of the LCBO, at least they operate quality stores, provide well-paying jobs, and bring in billions of dollars of revenue directly to the government.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 3:24 AM

All this makes me very happy to live in Alberta where our liquor industry is 100% private.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 6:52 AM

We are beer deprived here in Quebec too.

I remember my first trip to Total Wine in the U.S. I couldn't believe it. Literally thousands of different types of beer from all over the world. Walls and walls and walls of stuff.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
We are beer deprived here in Quebec too.

I remember my first trip to Total Wine in the U.S. I couldn't believe it. Literally thousands of different types of beer from all over the world. Walls and walls and walls of stuff.
That's just the U.S. Huge craft-beer culture. There's nowhere in Canada (Alberta included) where the stores offer the range of locally produced products, and national-international stuff, that you get in most of the U.S. now. I was in NYC this summer and every convenience store was full of dozens of beers. Even small cities in New England had selections that rivalled what you'd find at the biggest LCBO or NSLC.

Hell, when I'm in B.C., I can't get more than a handful of the bigger Ontario craft brews, and nothing from the east coast. And when I'm out east, you might find one or two of the bigger western brews, but that's it. We have a ways to go.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 3:34 PM
not a NIMBY

I'm going to a Costco liquor store (no membership required) this morning. Ontario, can I get you anything?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 3:44 PM

To be fair the new Beer Stores being built are going back to the self-serve warehouse style as opposed to the dumb counter form ranted about on that blog.

I only ever go to the Beer Store because the LCBO doesn't sell 24s.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 4:46 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
I'm going to a Costco liquor store (no membership required) this morning. Ontario, can I get you anything?
You should see what Ontario does every Saturday at the Costco in Gatineau!! I have seen individuals buying 6+ 24's of beer there since it is that much cheaper than at the Beer store in Ottawa. Quite funny..

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 7:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 7:38 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
All this makes me very happy to live in Alberta where our liquor industry is 100% private.
I have mixed feelings about 100% privatization. I am in Calgary at least once a year and have purchased beer and other alcohol at a number of locations. The Co-op liquor store near my parents house is amazing for selection, but the pricing can be frustrating. I find on average craft beers are actually more expensive than I am used to in the LCBO. If you want lower-end beer or liquor it's way cheaper though - especially if there is a sale.

Ideally I'd like a mixed model where there are Provincially run stores that have everything, but allow corner and grocery stores to sell beer and wine. Kind of like Quebec but with the LCBO level of selection over the SAQ.

But yeah, down with the beer store.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 8:33 PM

Lots of the time craft beers are more expensive, I think that's to be expected though. Co-op is more expensive for everything (groceries), but I find their selection is usually the best. If you are a member they give you money back every year, last year I got $75 which I spend at their liquor store lol.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 10:24 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
a very nice beer from St. Thomas (hard-luck-town, Ontario). Hard to find, but tastes great.

onebeeratatime

I've seen it plenty of times in LCBO but it's always in cans.

My favourite Canadian breweries are:

Dunham
Le Castor
Beyond the Pale
Nickel Brook
Great Lakes
Dieu du Ciel
Charlevoix
Muskoka
Flying Monkeys

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I have mixed feelings about 100% privatization. I am in Calgary at least once a year and have purchased beer and other alcohol at a number of locations. The Co-op liquor store near my parents house is amazing for selection, but the pricing can be frustrating. I find on average craft beers are actually more expensive than I am used to in the LCBO. If you want lower-end beer or liquor it's way cheaper though - especially if there is a sale.

Ideally I'd like a mixed model where there are Provincially run stores that have everything, but allow corner and grocery stores to sell beer and wine. Kind of like Quebec but with the LCBO level of selection over the SAQ.

But yeah, down with the beer store.
Keep in mind that the liquor sector in Alberta has not been fully privatized - the distribution is still government controlled, and liquor specific taxes were raised recently. I'd like to see the government fully privatize the industry and start allowing grocery stores and depanneurs to start selling booze as well.

However, like Calgarian said, places with great selection like Co-op or Willow Park Wine & Spirits tend to have higher prices. If you're willing to shop around you can find fantastic deals. I was in a Superstore liquor store on the weekend and they had a surprisingly good selection of import and craft beers at incredibly cheap prices. Costco Liquor lacks selection but probably has the lowest prices in Alberta - almost as low as you'd see in the States, and their Kirkland brand vodka is actually very highly regarded.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2013, 11:32 PM
Closed account

Speaking of Great Lakes, the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland is fantastic.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Keep in mind that the liquor sector in Alberta has not been fully privatized - the distribution is still government controlled, and liquor specific taxes were raised recently. I'd like to see the government fully privatize the industry and start allowing grocery stores and depanneurs to start selling booze as well.

However, like Calgarian said, places with great selection like Co-op or Willow Park Wine & Spirits tend to have higher prices. If you're willing to shop around you can find fantastic deals. I was in a Superstore liquor store on the weekend and they had a surprisingly good selection of import and craft beers at incredibly cheap prices. Costco Liquor lacks selection but probably has the lowest prices in Alberta - almost as low as you'd see in the States, and their Kirkland brand vodka is actually very highly regarded.
I think part of why Superstore is so cheap is that they don't refrigerate their beers, which sucks if you want to start drinking within an hour lol. It's absolutely fantastic for camping though, I got a 55 pack of Kokanee there one time lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada