HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 6:39 PM

OP changed with new information/sources availble from this threads start.

~~~~

I don't think EllisDon's partnership with Mady will change the outcome of this particular project for the better or worse, as discussed in length already, but I still find it a very positive move for them going forward never the less.

I'm more curious where this leaves Winnipeg's Bockstael as announced earlier this year by Urban Capital as the ones tagged to construct the tower if it does proceed.

As announced earlier, the sales centre is set to begin construction in less than 45 days.
(of course, I'm just quoting what was released by Fortress Reps 2 days ago.)

Wait and see I'd assume. It's only 6 weeks away?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
OP changed with new information/sources availble from this threads start.

~~~~

I don't think EllisDon's partnership with Mady will change the outcome of this particular project for the better or worse, as discussed in length already, but I still find it a very positive move for them going forward never the less.

I'm more curious where this leaves Winnipeg's Bockstael as announced earlier this year by Urban Capital as the ones tagged to construct the tower if it does proceed.

As announced earlier, the sales centre is set to begin construction in less than 45 days.
(of course, I'm just quoting what was released by Fortress Reps 2 days ago.)

Wait and see I'd assume. It's only 6 weeks away?
Urban Capital are the developers working on Glasshouse - It was Bockstael that secured the contract on that build.

I believe.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Bockstael is doing Glasshouse, not SkyCity. (Urban Capital =/= Mady)

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 7:33 PM

Thanks guys, your both correct, mis-read the article.

Who has been tagged to build the sales/display centre and the tower if it moves forward?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 7:15 PM

Previously discussed and forgotten in deleted thread in regards to the St. Regis Hotel on Donald St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Fortress won the RFP for redevelopment of that project. Nothing has been mentioned on their intentions for the building.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:49 PM

If anyone's interested: Only info I found useful is quoted below.

News letter Nov.2014
Quote:
The design concept for the SkyCity Presentation Centre is in – and it’s amazing! A vision in light and linear design, the office will feature a designer decorated suite for visitors to tour, a spectacular three-dimensional model of the building, videos, touchscreens and displays that will showcase SkyCity to life for potential residents. Work is well under way but will take several months to complete so we anticipate opening in spring 2015. Stay tuned for more updates and you can choose first before we open to the public.
News Letter:
http://skycitywinnipeg.ca/wp-content..._V1_I5B-MR.pdf

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:

News letter Nov.2014

News Letter:
Each day construction costs rise and it gets worse. As of Dec 1, 2014 the City of Winnipeg will adopt the New National Energy Code for new buildings and it is seriously bad. Costs will increase 20% - 30% or more because of this. Not to mention A & E Fees as well. I have this code (It was $225 or so) and it is terrible. Some civil servants wrote this thing with no clue of reality. Civil Servants.........making peoples lives worse by the day.

Sky City for sure now is 99% not to happen.

This news is bad for developers and consumers alike.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 5:09 PM

Quote:

News letter Nov.2014

News Letter:
Stefano Grande is such a useless shill it isn't worth having him as part of any discussion. Especially not one involving downtown. I want everybody to read this guy's quote in this developer's newsletter:

Quote:
"Only cool and creative people want to live downtown! Seriously, downtown living is for people who live busy and active lives and want to connect with the vibe of a city, and want to be seen.
Now, notwithstanding the fact that this guy lives in Bird's Hill because not even the outer ring suburbs were far enough for him (and is absolutely contributory on his micro-level to the exact problems our Downtown faces), he has the audacity to say this in a developer's newsletter! A guy who doesn't even live in the municipality he's paid to promote - let alone downtown - is here to let you know where cool is at and who you can purchase it from. Ignoring that these developers are convicted con-artists who carried out their frauds on unsuspecting and desperate bankruptcy filers who came to them for credit counseling, the credibility of this development was gone the moment it fell two years behind. But I guess those sorts of optics aren't relevant, and the puff piece that went along with that rag of a downtown magazine was a nice touch, too.

The BIZ is an organization funded by council through a surcharge on commercial property taxes. As such, it is an arm's length division of our municipal government. It is completely inappropriate for them to be using resources to promote a development by convicted carpet-bagging grifters. Given the history, you'd think they'd do everything to avoid being complicit in what will likely turn out to be a steaming pile of lawsuits, mismanagement, and total dereliction of their responsibilities. That goes doubly given the evident mismanagement up until now.

The Biz and its leadership should at least be required to exercise some discretion in the projects they're publicly supporting. Obviously, that's not happening. And if they're simply ignoring all of the existing red-flags, then it's worse. Any planner will tell you that mega-projects at the public's expense are not feasible means for redevelopment. The citizens of Winnipeg should know that better than anybody. Instead of promoting granular, sustainable development in the downtown, we have the Downtown Biz acting as public relations agent for another doomed mega-project and its criminally-minded associates. How they can allow this to happen is beyond me...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 5:51 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Why does this thread exist again?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Architect View Post
Each day construction costs rise and it gets worse. As of Dec 1, 2014 the City of Winnipeg will adopt the New National Energy Code for new buildings and it is seriously bad. Costs will increase 20% - 30% or more because of this. Not to mention A & E Fees as well. I have this code (It was $225 or so) and it is terrible. Some civil servants wrote this thing with no clue of reality. Civil Servants.........making peoples lives worse by the day.

Sky City for sure now is 99% not to happen.

This news is bad for developers and consumers alike.
The new Energy Guidelines coming into affect were discussed in the construction thread awhile back. From those here who debated it from a developers and architects point of view I don't believe anybody was happy to hear about it.(to put it mildly)

An attempt to reduce greenhouse-gasses and increase energy efficiency/conservation is always positve but at what expense and cost to you the developer? A heavy burden indeed.

It will effect the cost of new builds in the future, some will proceed but many more proposals will fall by the way side, this project may be one of many casualties in a long list for this reason alone.

A quick link for those not familiar with what is being implemented:

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.html?item=30586

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:25 PM

With the sales centre apparently proceeding at this point I still have to wonder if they will start a new build on the actuall lot ( fairly common in projects of this scope), as they mentioned in the past or go with a renovation and lease space kitty corner to the actual build site? Costs come into play...

Note:
Quotes do not repost when replying so I'll add it here without the brackets. (^ from original post)

"the office will feature a designer decorated suite for visitors to tour, a spectacular three-dimensional model of the building, videos, touchscreens and displays that will showcase SkyCity to life for potential residents. Work is well under way but will take several months to complete so we anticipate opening in spring 2015."

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:32 PM

Quote:
With the sales centre apparently proceeding at this point I still have to wonder if they will start a new build on the actuall lot ( fairly common in projects of this scope), as they mentioned in the past or go with a renovation and lease space kitty corner to the actual build site? Costs come into play...

Note:
Quotes do not repost when replying so I'll add it here without the brackets. (^ from original post)

"the office will feature a designer decorated suite for visitors to tour, a spectacular three-dimensional model of the building, videos, touchscreens and displays that will showcase SkyCity to life for potential residents. Work is well under way but will take several months to complete so we anticipate opening in spring 2015."
I believe one of their newsletters said the model suite would be located at 283 garry st.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:46 PM

Yeah, I believe that was the initial plan, but with so many changes and the delay I'm wondering if they will stick to the same plan?

They initially quoted a 1$ M figure for construction of the centre, seems extravagant?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I believe one of their newsletters said the model suite would be located at 283 garry st.
It sure did.

Perhaps somebody who works in the area can take a walk by 283 Garry to see this work that is "well underway".

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I believe that was the initial plan, but with so many changes and the delay I'm wondering if they will stick to the same plan?

They initially quoted a 1$ M figure for construction of the centre, seems extravagant?
Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought that very early on they initally said they would build the display suite right on the lot and that was the $1 million figure thrown around. Then they later said the 383 Garry display suite. I think in the recent article that discussed the changes to the porposal, that they again mentioned the offices/display suite in 383 Garry.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought that very early on they initally said they would build the display suite right on the lot and that was the $1 million figure thrown around. Then they later said the 383 Garry display suite. I think in the recent article that discussed the changes to the porposal, that they again mentioned the offices/display suite in 383 Garry.
This is the only update I can remember so it's kinda stuck in my head..

July.2014

Construction is expected to start soon on the sales presentation centre at 283 Gary Street, with the intent to launch unit sales later this year. We are happy to announce that McOuat Partnership will handle the advertising on the project, and Union31 will act as the interior designers.

http://fortressrealdevelopments.com/...ntre-winnipeg/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:12 PM

Well underway meaning the design I think. If construction had started on that, I'm sure they'll let us know quite loudly.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Well underway meaning the design I think. If construction had started on that, I'm sure they'll let us know quite loudly.
Yeah actually the freep article a couple weeks ago, some where in this thread above, said 45 days before it even begins, if that estimate holds true they have at least 3-4 weeks before we see anything.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The design of a show suite takes a few weeks. It absolutely does not take two years. And anybody who was seriously trying to sell units would have had a space, a design ready for permits, and a sales team ready to go within a month of purchasing the land, not some interminable period that nobody is quite sure of. What do you even say to your land investors when they ask you where the project is at? That you've managed to erect a sun-bleached sign on the site?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 3:13 PM

I have not seen it mentioned but when talk the building redesign came up I asked the obvious question and was told the height of the building will remain the same. Apparently the design is going to change the look of the building some while keeping the overall shape. Of course it is also adding balconies. I wonder how much the addition of the balconies will change the expected price of units.

It will also be interesting to see what happens with the promised grocery store since Sobey's, who looked like they would be involved, has essentially exited from all urban market grocery stores.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan