HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 6:19 PM

Forgot about that. Ouch...what a downgrade.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 7:12 PM

CentrePoint parkade, proudly brought to you by the best in value engineering.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 7:15 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
CentrePoint parkade, proudly brought to you by the best in value engineering.
Just to clarify - but that downgrade is "value-architecting". The engineer can only start after the architect has decided how it is supposed to look!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 7:54 PM

Couldn't it have gone out as originally designed for costing, come back way too high and been sent back to architect?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 8:05 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Just to clarify - but that downgrade is "value-architecting". The engineer can only start after the architect has decided how it is supposed to look!
It's called value ENGINEERING because engineers always ruin everything.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 8:12 PM
the first stamp is free

^ don't hate the player...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:02 PM

Here's an older conceptual render( drawing)? of what Sp Po may have looked like..seems more feasible with all the talk reg: Winnipeg styled "value-engineering"..no?

Brings you back...

http://downtownwinnipegtrends.com

Look at all those cool funnelators..

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 8:19 PM

^ That's probably more realistic. And yeah, what happened to all those funnelators? All these years later and still just the one, when it isn't being removed due to some kind of malfunction or fire.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:05 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That's probably more realistic. And yeah, what happened to all those funnelators? All these years later and still just the one, when it isn't being removed due to some kind of malfunction or fire.
I have talked to some involved with the SHED streetscaping and apparently there will likely be only the one Funnelator.

You know, maybe because it is unique it will start to gain some love......or not.

I am obviously in the minority, but I kind of like it. Downtown needs more colour, more lights, more animation. If it is not Funnelators they I hope they can develop some other kinds of colourful art installations.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:36 PM

It will definitely add a unique look to our city, i'll go beyond the norm and welcome them.

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Y09mDHsHk

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I have talked to some involved with the SHED streetscaping and apparently there will likely be only the one Funnelator.

You know, maybe because it is unique it will start to gain some love......or not.
Or perhaps the cost the build and maintain the Funnelator, the footprint it needs, and the operational issues it has experienced all combined to put a chill on further rollout plans. Even at the relatively small size of the one by the library space for them would be tight. The original plan suggested that was a medium size one with ones even larger that could operate as a kiosk were being planned!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 4:42 PM

Quote:

I am obviously in the minority, but I kind of like it. Downtown needs more colour, more lights, more animation. If it is not Funnelators they I hope they can develop some other kinds of colourful art installations.
I agree I really like them too. People were hating on them and saying "funnelators won't save downtown" — well no shit, but they make it a hell of a lot cooler (and memorable to tourists). Think with cool tech. art installations like them, Emptyful (library beaker) and the stuff on Market... it would such a cool draw if we became a hub for stuff like that... [are you listening Plug-In ICA + innovation alley?]

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
It will definitely add a unique look to our city, i'll go beyond the norm and welcome them.
Video Link

Quick fix to the video you posted above rk..

=
==
===

"I am obviously in the minority, but I kind of like it"

Well, we're both part of the "Silent Minority"..BF..I've always liked what they were trying to achieve. Hopefully they'll have a second go at the concept and we may see something similar in the future, hopefully with improved weather proofing for our climate...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 5:20 PM

I'm fine without a bunch of funnelators, but unique lighted art instalations every block would be nice. make an "art walk" out of it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ That's probably more realistic..

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 7:11 PM

Quote:

Another grandiose plan downsized and in this case, quite severely. I thought we were supposed to have several of these funnelators dotting the SHED?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Another grandiose plan downsized and in this case, quite severely. I thought we were supposed to have several of these funnelators dotting the SHED?
Sometimes, you have to jiggle the toilet seat handle before it can flush..If it doesn't work, you call in a plumber..

In other words, the technology they were trying to implement was not ready for 24/7 mass distribution and use, it happens. Hopefully they get it right the next time around.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Sometimes, you have to jiggle the toilet seat handle before it can flush..If it doesn't work, you call in a plumber..

In other words, the technology they were trying to implement was not ready for 24/7 mass distribution and use, it happens. Hopefully they get it right the next time around.
I thought the original vision of the funnelators wasn't that they would all be screens. They would all be different. One was supposed to be like a retail kiosk that was a funnel. Etc.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 2:26 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...306768121.html

Dare I say, a good article in the Free Press this morning summarizing the mess going back to day one.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I thought the original vision of the funnelators wasn't that they would all be screens. They would all be different. One was supposed to be like a retail kiosk that was a funnel. Etc.
Quick article from 2013 sums it up quite well...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"The futuristic Funnelator is the prototype and the first of (hopefully) many to pop up as part of CentreVenture’s plan for downtown’s sports, hospitality, and entertainment district (SHED)."

"“This one was designed and built to be the first one, to see how it works, and to test the capabilities of the LED screen. Until we run this one for awhile we’re not going to be building dozens of them in the immediate future.”

http://metronews.ca/news/winnipeg/88...nnium-library/

The prototype funkellator didn't pass the mustard test...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan