HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
I didn't know that the Legislature, Memorial Park and Vimy Ridge Park were considered to be park of West Broadway, did you?
I guess only on paper, haha, cuz even the BIZ says it ends at Osborne & Broadway

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslusarc View Post
I didn't know that the Legislature, Memorial Park and Vimy Ridge Park were considered to be park of West Broadway, did you?
I believe this was already answered above but just to be sure...

Your reference is to the MAP provided by the West Broadway Biz?

Source: http://westbroadwaybiz.com/wp-conten...ay-Biz-Map.jpg

If so, the added locations you referenced are their for perspective, to give viewers a general idea of the area being discussed found below (PDF) and their vision for the future. Think Pink.

http://westbroadwaybiz.com/wp-conten...ation-copy.pdf

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
I believe this was already answered above but just to be sure...

Your reference is to the MAP provided by the West Broadway Biz?

Source: http://westbroadwaybiz.com/wp-conten...ay-Biz-Map.jpg

If so, the added locations you referenced are their for perspective, to give viewers a general idea of the area being discussed found below (PDF) and their vision for the future. Think Pink.

http://westbroadwaybiz.com/wp-conten...ation-copy.pdf
Yeah, the way they talk in all their literature is about Broadway @ Osborne being the gateway to the BIZ (where all the signage is). Hopefully when that United Way sign on GWL comes down they replace it with a WB BIZ banner like in the original plans. I also hope they actually decorate the Misericordia skywalk and put up a mural like in those plans.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:19 PM
the first stamp is free

They have started driving piles at 100 Maryland, where the previous house was literally just taken to the dump.

Nice to see that block of Maryland bookended with new developments, which are now both under construction.

Provided the large development on Westminster goes forward, that corner at Westminster and Maryland is going to have a much different look in a couple years.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:23 PM

^ Great news!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Indeed. Until then, who knows what other projects may surface.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:18 PM

Anyone seen the MH building going up on Sherbrook lately? The north side is completely cinderblocked with not one window on it. It looks awful... do they know about some plans for the architecture building lot next door that we don't know? It's baffling.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:49 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Anyone seen the MH building going up on Sherbrook lately? The north side is completely cinderblocked with not one window on it. It looks awful... do they know about some plans for the architecture building lot next door that we don't know? It's baffling.
Have to do that. It's likely built right up to the property line. Has to be non-combustible and a 2hr fire rating (I think). And no windows allowed.

People drive towards the nice face of the building anyway.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 4:20 PM
the first stamp is free

The pre-cast pile installation has stopped at 100 Maryland for a few days now. And the job seems about 2/3 done.

I wonder if someone *forgot* to get a permit...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 7:42 PM

Con't from Winnipeg Construction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sounds a little pie in the sky to me, but All Saints United Church at Broadway and Osborne is hoping to develop its land which occupies a prime site opposite the Legislature

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/art...362561681.html

Even if they can get it off the ground, I doubt $15 million would buy them much these days...
Gotta have faith.... I do agree though, the $15M/est. for an 8 storey office/commercial structure seems a tad bit low for what they've envisioned.

But in the grand scheme of design, this sort of development would be a welcome addition to the Boradway Biz's master plan.

..Added to West Broadway Area | Winnipeg | Development as well..

Last edited by Cyro; Dec 20, 2015 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 11:25 PM

https://maryloudriedger2.wordpress.c...saints-church/

Google Satellite Location

I was curious about the surrounding location, and history of the Church in general.

Low income-housing, community related services is another option for the proposal, with funding, could actually make it more feasible and likely for the parish to raise the required capital in addition to donations?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 5:45 PM

http://ranjjan.com/ranjjan-developme...ryland-condos/

Location..http://54maryland.ca/location/

54 Moving along..It's going to be a nice little addition when complete..

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 5:50 PM

Same developer, this one is at about the same stage of construction..

The Flats on Westminster

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 6:04 PM
BANNED

I think these two projects are great. I would like to see a few taller developments along Sherbrook, with infills such as these all over the area.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I think these two projects are great. I would like to see a few taller developments along Sherbrook, with infills such as these all over the area.
Agreed, love that area. Lived there in the early 2000's.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 6:58 PM
BANNED

So much character tucked away along Langside, Furby etc with charming historic brick walk-ups. A few too many derelict homes still dot the area, and many streets and sidewalks need redoing, but it is a wonderful neighborhood with great potential.

Last edited by Urban recluse; Mar 8, 2016 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:21 PM

^ I here what your saying, I've been into many the buildings in the area you speak of for various reasons. The potential is there, but the area in general still has the stigma and social problems from the past. Slowly but steadily we can hope to see change.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:29 PM

I was at the airport in Calgary last week and got talking with the lady next to me. She's originally from Winnipeg and couldn't understand how anyone would want to live in downtown Winnipeg. She was probably in her 60's, but for sure 50's. She said it's been so long since downtown was bustling, she doesn't ever see it working. I said it'll take time for people to bring downtown back to it's glory.

that's just it. its going to take just as much time to bring it back, as it did to decline. Generations people, not just a few years. Same goes for West Broadway, or any area. Slowly but surely, it will change one way or another.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Agreed. As with other areas in need of development, the key is to attract more younger professionals to the city, as well as retaining others. Renewal can only be fueled by demand. I still argue the Sherbrook Inn needs to be redeveloped sooner than later.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I was at the airport in Calgary last week and got talking with the lady next to me. She's originally from Winnipeg and couldn't understand how anyone would want to live in downtown Winnipeg. She was probably in her 60's, but for sure 50's. She said it's been so long since downtown was bustling, she doesn't ever see it working. I said it'll take time for people to bring downtown back to it's glory.

that's just it. its going to take just as much time to bring it back, as it did to decline. Generations people, not just a few years. Same goes for West Broadway, or any area. Slowly but surely, it will change one way or another.
I think the baby boomers are by and large a total writeoff when it comes to their perceptions about downtown. They're old enough to remember the "glory days" and all they can see is how far things have fallen since Portage Avenue was the place to go for shopping, movies, dining, etc. They are completely soured on downtown... among my coworkers, it's that cohort that tends to avoid downtown as much as they possibly can, and zips back out to Lorette, Charleswood or West St. Paul as fast as they can after work.

Gen Xers are a bit warmer to downtown, but it's really the millennials that have a new attitude and are receptive to downtown living. Whereas the Gen Xers spent their free time in the suburbs, going to the mall, etc., millennials seem more likely to be hanging out in urban settings, so things are moving in the right direction. At least that's my impression.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan