HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:00 PM
North End Troublemaker

According to NOW Winnipeg St. Boniface the neighbourhood consists of North and Central St. Boniface, which is roughly the Seine to the East, the Red to the West and North, and Marion to the South... The separation of North and Central St. B is Provencher.

Whether or not I agree with this definition of St. Boniface is another matter. I think I'm more in the boat to include Norwood and maybe Windsor Park.

Also, just for reference, Mynarski is both the name of the ward and a neighbourhood within that ward, so who's to say the same can't be possible for St. Boniface

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:38 PM

Sorry to disrupt your day, continue on.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2016, 9:52 PM

Anyways. The development on Marion, on the old Esso site, has those suites selling for over $1 million each. Seems pretty steep for living right on Marion. But definitely a lot going on in the area, good to see some investment. Although I'm not a big fan of the peaked roof residential buildings. Usually stick framed with paper thin walls.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:49 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
According to NOW Winnipeg St. Boniface the neighbourhood consists of North and Central St. Boniface, which is roughly the Seine to the East, the Red to the West and North, and Marion to the South.
In the old City boundaries, Rue Carriere and Fifth Ave. were the dividing lines between the City of St. Boniface and the City of St. Vital.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 1:52 PM

wow, some of you are truly clueless and arguing for no reason. I grew up in Southdale (1970-80-90) and considered myself part of St. Boniface. My school division was St.Boniface, my hockey and soccer were St.Boniface, my electoral district was St.Boniface and my church was part of the St.Boniface diocesean (sp). Now for past 15 years I've lived in Windsor Park and now Norwood Flats and I still consider myself St.B for the same reason above, except now my kids school division is called Louis Riel. I have 2 brothers living in Island Lakes and dozens of friends living in all the areas described above and they consider themselves from "St. Boniface".

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 2:10 PM

Yeah, we get it. Sorry to offend anyone. The point was most people don't associate that area with St. B, which is fine. Most areas of the City are like that. People have their own boundaries defined, even thought they aren't quite correct.

Just like Kildonan Place Mall is not actually in any of the Kildonans. It's in Transcona.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 3:58 PM

For clarification, I did start the thread with the older parts of St B in mind as mentioned by several posters. The area around Provencher, Marion, The French Quarter as many know it etc..

Hence the smaller paired down OP map rather than a list of street names reaching the outskirts of the city.

ie:

http://www.tourismwinnipeg.com/plan/...french-quarter

But I did live in Windsor Park officialy a part of St B.. With that in mind, I've added the "Official City Ward Map" to the OP as well.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:01 PM

TIL from this thread: people from St. Boniface take this stuff very seriously.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerx View Post
https://www.towersrealty.ca/building/300tache/

These are the apartments that have been put into the building on the Southeast corner of the Marion/Tache intersection.
Yes Thanks. The address does front Tache officially..

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
TIL from this thread: people from St. Boniface take this stuff very seriously.
Yup, I didn't want a City Councillor misinterpreting the thread..

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 6:26 AM

Confusion over what is St boniface.

The same happens in my area all of the time. I live in charleswood close to the perimeter and some people identify the area as westdale. Charleswood is the name of the area as a whole (Tuxedo to the perimeter) and Westdale is the name of the specific community in charlessood I live in. St. Boniface is the name of that area as a whole and the specific communities within st boniface are island lakes, old st boniface, Windsor park, etc. Newer suburbs tend to be called by their community name not their area name like sage creek instead of st boniface.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleswood View Post
The same happens in my area all of the time. I live in charleswood close to the perimeter and some people identify the area as westdale. Charleswood is the name of the area as a whole (Tuxedo to the perimeter) and Westdale is the name of the specific community in charlessood I live in. St. Boniface is the name of that area as a whole and the specific communities within st boniface are island lakes, old st boniface, Windsor park, etc. Newer suburbs tend to be called by their community name not their area name like sage creek instead of st boniface.
Precisely. And this is 98% due to marketing.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:24 PM

Just a few projects most are familiar with:

170 Goulet St. WRHA – St. Boniface Access Center - MMP Architects

Image Source

250 Marion Street - Condominiums - Nisum Developments

Image Source

Youville Condominiums - Andrew Wach Architects Inc.

http://awarchitects.ca/youville-condominiums/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:49 PM

^ As I mentioned before, I hate the ground floor exposed parking area in the WRHA building. It's no better than a surface parking lot, even worse in some ways.

The 250 Marion project is OK filler, but it looks a little too small town Gimli/Winklerish for its urban location.

I don't remember seeing those Youville condos before though, those aren't bad.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ As I mentioned before, I hate the ground floor exposed parking area in the WRHA building. It's no better than a surface parking lot, even worse in some ways.
Yeah, I agree, does nothing for the street level connectivity, typical of most projects of this type..

PS: Are those images from the WRHA site easily visible or are they not loading? I'm curious if it's their site.?

EDIT: Their site: Bandwith problems on their end..

Last edited by Cyro; Jan 7, 2016 at 6:39 PM. Reason: spped posting correction..

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 8:34 PM

Bumped this up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
825 Tache. Looks like a go! Sunstone has sign up today saying..coming soon.
What a sweet location and view from there. Too bad about the high line though..

http://www.sunstonegroup.ca/sunstone-communities.html

Quote:
Sunstone’s bid submission outlined a high density residential development with a multi-family
building (maximum 7 storeys) to the rear of the site with a mix of underground and surface
parking. The development would also include a small scale commercial and residential
component fronting Tache Avenue.
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/viewdoc.asp?docid=14158

I wonder how much it's changed from the initial proposal back in 2014?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 9:01 PM
BANNED

I hope it's at least 7 stories.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I agree. I expect it will be more upscale than some of the Qualico condos on the street. I expect they will sell quickly. If I had the cash I would buy one as an investment.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Is it only allowed to be a max of seven stories ? Like the East exchange has a limit. I think some nice condos with at least 15 floors along the west side of the red would be amazing and showcase the downtown very well.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Is it only allowed to be a max of seven stories ? Like the East exchange has a limit. I think some nice condos with at least 15 floors along the west side of the red would be amazing and showcase the downtown very well.
has to be smaller scale to fit the north st b neighbourhood. as an aside, there is a great walking trail starting at the sight which follows the river right up to the mouth of the Seine. for those who aren't aware of it you should give it a try.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan