HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:06 PM

I really like all the money going into North St. B. That should be a nice development. 7 stories seems about right for that location. Will match the height of the CN bridge over the Red. Eastern transitway is also supposed to follow the north side of CN highline. So they'll need some good screening from the buses and trains.

The City is also adjusting zoning a bit to allow more flexibility in north St. B. Higher density along Tache, lower density as you head northwards to match the existing neighbourhood.
http://winnipeg.ca/PPD/NorthStBoniface/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:58 PM

^ Nice to see that development is inching at least slightly upwards in that area. I get that the Old St. B residents don't want their neighbourhood to become Osborne Village overnight, but the lowrise condos and SFHs going up in the area seem like an underuse of the land... that area has the potential to become one of Winnipeg's greatest urban neighbourhoods. Seven storeys is a step in the right direction.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 3:26 PM

My ultimate plan for that area would be to have the low/medium rise condos on Tache that are already mostly built, stepping up in height to high rise as you head north for a block, then stepping back down to low rise as you get to the newer single family homes south and west of the track. Throw in some street level interaction and it could be pretty cool neighbourhood. We'll see how things go with the latest set of changes.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:24 PM

I HATE the height restrictions and other regulations that are keeping St. Boniface in the stone age. North St. Boniface should be a high density, transit-oriented community. what we're getting is spoiled wannabe suburban whiners that should have moved to sage creek instead of across the river from portage and main. provencher will never become any kind of retail success with these pitiful developments to the north. It is embarrassing walking through that neighbourhood knowing its potential is being wasted on single family homes and low-rise condos

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 6:34 PM

While I basically agree with you Drew. I don't mind having the lower rise condos right on Tache. That way you can step up to higher buildings while still maintaining a bit of view to the downtown. The riverbank in that area is one of my favorite places to go and relax. The views of downtown are fantastic. Maybe 8 storeys is better than 4 though.

But in general, you're right. So much potential there. Since the new single family homes are already built, can't change that now.. All the old homes could disappear and it wouldn't bother me.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 7:01 PM

My views are fairly close to Jeff's, although at the same time I realize that Old St. B is a strange animal where the community has an extremely involved role in development so you're never going to see even modest 15-storey towers go up in the area even though they would probably do a lot to bring life to the streets.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I HATE the height restrictions and other regulations that are keeping St. Boniface in the stone age. North St. Boniface should be a high density, transit-oriented community. what we're getting is spoiled wannabe suburban whiners that should have moved to sage creek instead of across the river from portage and main. provencher will never become any kind of retail success with these pitiful developments to the north. It is embarrassing walking through that neighbourhood knowing its potential is being wasted on single family homes and low-rise condos
It's my understanding that the developer tried to do high-density development in Pointe Hebert, but the sewer and water infrastructure could not handle much more than the single-family homes that got built. That's the hidden cost of doing infill that doesn't get talked about much - the extremely costly endeavour of upgrading 100-year old infrastructure to accommodate higher density infill.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
It's my understanding that the developer tried to do high-density development in Pointe Hebert, but the sewer and water infrastructure could not handle much more than the single-family homes that got built. That's the hidden cost of doing infill that doesn't get talked about much - the extremely costly endeavour of upgrading 100-year old infrastructure to accommodate higher density infill.
This I believe. There is a guy at the very end of Tache that got conditional approval to build a six story condo made completely of non flammable material. Otherwise he would have had to pay for an upgrade to the water system on his own. This project is going again to the Riel cc due to infrastructure related charges that, according to the developer, are killing its viability. The number is eight fifty something I believe. The current resident is proposing to develop the site himself.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 12:33 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:

AMEN to that bro.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 5:30 AM

As a newer resident in North St. Boniface, I'm really happy with the changes, especially the increase of income to the area that the Pointe Hebert has brought. Yes it would be great if the area could have been used for more mixed use and higher density buildings but having that amount of development and some fresh faces to the area should do a lot to help continue to turn things around. There is no reason Provencher couldn't rival Osborne, its right over the bridge from the Forks and downtown and ball park, would be a great additional draw to the area.

North St. B is need of some better amenities. It should be an area known to embrace the 'Old French' regions it claims to be, cheese shops, butcher, produce shops, service shops like a bike shop.

I'm very interested to see what happens with the Parmalat factory, now that Parmalat has bought a large lot in the St. B Industrial park. Haven't heard anything yet, but that would really open up a huge area for development. It's a third of an entire block. Would be a great spot for some mixed use development.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 9:44 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChabbs View Post
As a newer resident in North St. Boniface, I'm really happy with the changes, especially the increase of income to the area that the Pointe Hebert has brought. Yes it would be great if the area could have been used for more mixed use and higher density buildings but having that amount of development and some fresh faces to the area should do a lot to help continue to turn things around. There is no reason Provencher couldn't rival Osborne, its right over the bridge from the Forks and downtown and ball park, would be a great additional draw to the area.

North St. B is need of some better amenities. It should be an area known to embrace the 'Old French' regions it claims to be, cheese shops, butcher, produce shops, service shops like a bike shop.

I'm very interested to see what happens with the Parmalat factory, now that Parmalat has bought a large lot in the St. B Industrial park. Haven't heard anything yet, but that would really open up a huge area for development. It's a third of an entire block. Would be a great spot for some mixed use development.
nice post. I fear the Parmalat plant might have some site remediation costs associated with its redevelopment. Not sure. If so that could delay things. And don't forget the empty fenced lot on the west side of the street. That condo banner has been flapping around for a couple years now, so who knows what is going on with that proposal.

I agree with you about the lack of amenities in the area. I think the age of the population in the area is not helping. For example I frequently go to the local restaurants and shops in the area. I never see any of my senior citizen neighbours there. Ever.I have actually tried laying the guilt on some of them when they whine about the empty spaces on Provencher

It is helpful indeed to have some new blood in the north with a few bucks to spend. The last thing I am worried about is gentrification!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 6:15 PM

Thx for the update on this project, It's nice to finally get an idea on what to expect.
Pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
825 Tache - Sunstone developer - verne reimer architect.

nice scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
78 units, they hope to get started in spring 2017.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:46 PM

Ya, looks good. Love that area.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 3:00 PM

That is definitely a step up in terms of design for that area, and it's nice to see something a bit bigger than the usual 4 storey jobs popping up around there. Since Place Joseph Royal and that one on Tache next to the St. B Museum were built some ten-ish years ago, there haven't been any larger buildings built in that part of North St. Boniface.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You nailed it Jeff. That area should have been high density condo's with highrise condos and apartments right behind!

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:26 PM
BANNED

yes, this area has a lot of potential.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 1:15 AM

drove through Pointe Hebert / North St.B, there's a large 4 plex being built, 2 signs up for more re-zoning, replacing 3 single family with another 4 plex. plus the homes that have been built are so unique and gorgeous. tiny lots but some awesome designs. many have 3rd floor rooftop patios. for those that love infill and not cookie cutter developments, this is a great area.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 3:18 AM
Heart of the Continent

I took the same drive - really impressive transformation.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 3:45 AM
BANNED

Some really nice designs and colors. Hopefully this is just the beginning.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 4:08 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan