HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 3:10 PM

Id be very interested in the residential component, as I would think residential right beside that station would be a big deal for some.

And yeah, that little corner there was a really shabby spot so i dont mind this. Was basically a big dirt lot with overflow cars from the dealership. Wish the MoneyMart could be gone now from there....

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 7:01 PM

Some info in the Free Press today:
-Apparently three full floors have already been spoken for, with two other groups also interested
-Hoping to finish construction by the end of the year, and start the residential component early 2017
-Current plan for the residential (apartment) tower is 10-12 stories, but could go taller

link: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus....html#comments

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 7:40 PM

^ Thanks for that link. I'm glad to hear their will be retail units in the office complex now under construction. The residential/retail component proposed in the next phase is great news.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post

confusion corner

Thx for this update, missed it in the construction thread some time back, moving quickly..

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:00 PM

Hopefully the fact that it is moving quickly means they they're serious when they mention the residential. I really like the fact they they were straight up in saying the first idea didn't go over well so they went back to the drawing board. Shows they're committed to making this/these project(s) work.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Hopefully the fact that it is moving quickly means they they're serious when they mention the residential. I really like the fact they they were straight up in saying the first idea didn't go over well so they went back to the drawing board. Shows they're committed to making this/these project(s) work.
A true TOD, it will be a welcome addition to this corner. At 12-14 fl..proposed 100+ units...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
A true TOD...
Is it a real TOD if it's just being built 5 years later?

Food for thought.

Last edited by Cyro; Feb 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: fixed code

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post

Food for thought.
What does timing have to do with it? It could have been built 20 years from now, and if it's transit oriented it counts as transit oriented development.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:

Food for thought.
That's deep.. It's kinda like the what came first question, the chicken or the egg.

Mulled it over, sure, whatever the timleine entailed.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What does timing have to do with it? It could have been built 20 years from now, and if it's transit oriented it counts as transit oriented development.
The point that I was making was that the fact that it getting built 5 years later shows how effective the transit is/was for the last 5 years. In cities, TOD proposals are approved usually within the year around transit nodes. Ottawa has a few that are around major transit nodes on the new Confederation line. Developers are usually eager to develop around transit nodes as it's an easy way to make money. The fact that we aren't seeing any legit TOD action until now, showcases the ineffectiveness of our current "rapid" transit model.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 5:32 AM

Quote:
The point that I was making was that the fact that it getting built 5 years later shows how effective the transit is/was for the last 5 years. In cities, TOD proposals are approved usually within the year around transit nodes. Ottawa has a few that are around major transit nodes on the new Confederation line. Developers are usually eager to develop around transit nodes as it's an easy way to make money. The fact that we aren't seeing any legit TOD action until now, showcases the ineffectiveness of our current "rapid" transit model.
Well firstly many cities have a lot more annual population growth than Winnipeg so things tend to pop up faster. But second the transitway is only half finished and as such it doesn't really serve much of a purpose in its current state. The real tragedy is it's taking so long to get that done. But I would leave the evaluation til whenever the thing is finished to really get a sense of its effect. The golf course land at the U of M will anchor the other end of this things and that area has huge potential if they don't flub the development of it.

At the end of the day though, doesn't matter if they're building today or 15 years from now - if they're building near a transit station because the station is there, then it's TOD. I really doubt those buildings would be going up if Osborne station weren't there.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Well firstly many cities have a lot more annual population growth than Winnipeg so things tend to pop up faster. But second the transitway is only half finished and as such it doesn't really serve much of a purpose in its current state. The real tragedy is it's taking so long to get that done. But I would leave the evaluation til whenever the thing is finished to really get a sense of its effect. The golf course land at the U of M will anchor the other end of this things and that area has huge potential if they don't flub the development of it.

At the end of the day though, doesn't matter if they're building today or 15 years from now - if they're building near a transit station because the station is there, then it's TOD. I really doubt those buildings would be going up if Osborne station weren't there.
Have you seen the winning design? It looks like awful barren 70s-style American public housing developments. I seriously hope it goes through several rounds of changes.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
Well firstly many cities have a lot more annual population growth than Winnipeg so things tend to pop up faster.
Are you discounting the growth in the suburbs? In the last 5 years according to this link Winnipeg grew its population by 46,300 people roughly (as this site doesn't list 2015 stats). Now don't get it twisted, I'm not disagreeing as other prairie cities do tend to grow faster. I'm just illustrating with this statistic that those 46,000 people are living somewhere and I think that it could be in the newer suburban developments like Waverly West and some of the northern suburb developments as well (names are escaping me at the moment). If the city wanted to, they could have developed more inner-city areas to take advantage of these TOD's with the influx of people. The city isn't shrinking.... yet.

Quote:
But second the transitway is only half finished and as such it doesn't really serve much of a purpose in its current state. The real tragedy is it's taking so long to get that done. But I would leave the evaluation til whenever the thing is finished to really get a sense of its effect. The golf course land at the U of M will anchor the other end of this things and that area has huge potential if they don't flub the development of it.
Someone must be laundering their money with this transit project because there is absolutely no way it takes over 5 years to complete a project like this that only consists of bus stations, maybe a flyover/bridge, and maybe a tunnel; all over about 15km (for the second phase, correct me if I'm wrong). Winnipeg has completed bigger, more complicated projects in less time. You guys should seriously be pissed. And that golf course proposal is ugly as sin.

Quote:
It does matter because it influences votes on politicians that represent (or don't) represent these urban design considerations. Would the average driver in Winnipeg actually vote for a politician advocating for this BRT and its TOD, when there is barely any traffic-impact (or TOD) because of it? Probably not. And the residential portion (as far as I'm aware) is just a proposal. No guarantee there.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Have you seen the winning design? It looks like awful barren 70s-style American public housing developments. I seriously hope it goes through several rounds of changes.
From what I've heard the UofM is not yet at all committed to that awful design and don't really know what they're going to build yet. When I said it had potential the key word there is potential, assuming and hoping they go back to the drawing board on the design. My point was there's clearly demand for units in the area if you look at what's going on over on Bison Drive so if they can capitalize on that with some TOD off of Markham or wherever the transitway comes in it could be really good.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 6:58 PM

Quote:

Food for thought.
I would say so. I live in a TOD in Calgary, which came 25 years after the LRT station it is next to was first built.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 4:55 AM

Quote:
The point that I was making was that the fact that it getting built 5 years later shows how effective the transit is/was for the last 5 years. In cities, TOD proposals are approved usually within the year around transit nodes.
Maybe sometimes, but it's totally normal for there to be a very long time lag. Toronto currently has TOD springing up around Kipling subway station...36 years after the station opened.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 9:56 AM

Well, let's see if the phase II residential project comes to fruition in a timely manner. The office stage is progressing and hopefully we'll have a true TOD kitty corner to Osborne Station in the not too distant future.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 4:23 AM

Aside from the fact that it's just good to have residential there, I'm really hoping if it goes ahead it'll be the catalyst to make the city start looking at rejigging Confusion Corner.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:55 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Ottawa has done good in some of their already urban lines, but the stations out past the greenbelt are worse than awful.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.31899.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.30953.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.29864.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.26964.../data=!3m1!1e3

This is what's going to happen with our line; the ones along Osborne will actually develop TOD because of the space constraint, but the ones that go out to greenfield won't be development, and no one will walk to them. It'll be parking for the suburban and exurban commuters to park and ride.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Ottawa has done good in some of their already urban lines, but the stations out past the greenbelt are worse than awful.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.31899.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.30953.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.29864.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.26964.../data=!3m1!1e3

This is what's going to happen with our line; the ones along Osborne will actually develop TOD because of the space constraint, but the ones that go out to greenfield won't be development, and no one will walk to them. It'll be parking for the suburban and exurban commuters to park and ride.
If those cars stay out in the suburbs instead of clogging up the downtown isn't that still a win?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan