HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:57 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Hahahaha. What about tin foil on the Windows? I would have to think there would be higher standards, and such trailer trash decorating would be prohibited.
I can only assume that the level of rent would price most if not all of the riff raff out.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I can only assume that the level of rent would price most if not all of the riff raff out.
New highrise rentals always start out that way.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:18 PM

Whoah whoah. All this excitement over an article by...Gordan Sinclair? Where is Sinclair even getting his information? If his call went unreturned, how does he know any specifics about the project? And really, can any piece of journalism that includes the phrase "the convenience of shopping in Winnipeg Square" be trusted?

I haven't trusted a word Sinclair has written in 20 years. I'll reserve excitement until the shovels are in the ground. And even then I'll still have my doubts. The site has been held hostage for almost 40 years, and I have very little confidence that anything good will ever be done with it.

And how would this possible announcement effect the future plans for Portage and Main? Why do I think that Artis Reit would only move forward with their plan if the city guarantees that no pedestrian will cross Portage and Main for another generation?

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a wee bit skeptical about this project.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:19 PM

You need rentals too, can't just have condos. The office space market in Winnipeg sucks. So I can live with having rentals.

For context. People move into their million dollar mansions in Waverley West, only to have the police raid the Hells Angels home next door. No matter where you go, there will be riff raff.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:21 PM

^^But Bryan, there will be no shovels in the ground. The foundation has been complete for 40 years!

All kidding aside, I would hope Sinclair has a reliable source. This is how most things seem to go. Someone has a source, which is the owner a lot of times who wants to create a buzz. Talk with the press and there you go. Same thing happened for TNS, SkyCity, people "leak" stuff.

How do any sports reporters get wind of trade rumours? Someone always talks.

Anyways, I anxiously await the announcement next month.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:36 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
Why do I think that Artis Reit would only move forward with their plan if the city guarantees that no pedestrian will cross Portage and Main for another generation?
The 'ol Winnipeg bait and switch.

I certainly would not be surprised if this is something that comes up.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:37 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
New highrise rentals always start out that way.
True. But this isn't a location hidden away on the north side of Portage, so I would have higher hopes for its long term upscale rent prospects.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:40 PM

I think bryan's doubts are reasonable, but I'm sure the Freep's editors are there to rein in GSJ, check his sources and all that. Surely they must have vetted today's column?

As for the P&M barriers, I'd be interested in knowing Artis' thoughts on whether the corner could be made a destination by allowing people to cross and encouraging more activity there in general. It could be a win-win... I don't think it necessarily has to be a zero-sum game where for every person crossing at street level there is one less shopper underground.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
True. But this isn't a location hidden away on the north side of Portage, so I would have higher hopes for its long term upscale rent prospects.
Yeah, fair enough...some buildings have held up well over the years. A few near Broadway (Broadview Manor, Rideau Tower, Fort Garry Place) come to mind.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:54 PM

Quote:
As for the P&M barriers, I'd be interested in knowing Artis' thoughts on whether the corner could be made a destination by allowing people to cross and encouraging more activity there in general. It could be a win-win... I don't think it necessarily has to be a zero-sum game where for every person crossing at street level there is one less shopper underground.
That's what I was thinking. Perhaps this is Artis trying to get ready for the opening of P&M by having an alternate source of traffic for Wpg Square. 40 stories with, say, 10 unit per floor works out to around 800 or so 'captive' customers.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
This is very exciting news indeed. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it will happen. BTW, is 134 metres the projected height? That would make it second to SkyCity.
Sorry about that BigG, Typo, It'll be very close to the height of 360 Main, edited the title..

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:00 PM

What's the usual assumption for people per unit? 2, maybe 2.5? I was thinking SkyCity, with its 388 units, would house around 1000 people.

Some people will be lonely single occupants. I think most units would have 2 people. Then some of those 2 people may have a child. Some may a few children.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:01 PM
Heart of the Continent

The end of the article seems to hit that AR is in favour of opening P&M, I'd the source is to be believed.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:19 PM

My guess is that Armin would want it open. If I was renting there I would much prefer the intersection open.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What's the usual assumption for people per unit? 2, maybe 2.5? I was thinking SkyCity, with its 388 units, would house around 1000 people.

Some people will be lonely single occupants. I think most units would have 2 people. Then some of those 2 people may have a child. Some may a few children.
Average occupancy is 2.6 in Canada I believe, but for apartment life I think it would be closer to 2.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:43 PM

So maybe closer to 750 each for SkyCity and the new Winnipeg Square tower.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
^ As desirable as downtown residential is, the original office tower plan would have been much better for that site... even though the tower at 40 storeys will probably be around the same height as the ~30 storey office tower in the original plan, it'll probably have a much smaller footprint meaning much less density on the site. Office space is a bit of a sure thing while with rentals, who knows - look at Place Promenade, it was a pretty nice complex when it opened in the late 80s but it's a little down at the heels now. Few of the 70s and 80s vintage rental towers downtown maintained any kind of air of prestige that they had when they opened... not necessarily a huge deal in a standalone rental property but the stakes are a little higher at Portage and Main... I'd hate to ever see confederate flags or wolf blankets hanging in the windows there.

Anyway, this is not to rain on the parade... getting second prize is better than nothing at all. I guess the Winnipeg office market is such that Artis only wanted to develop office space there, it could have been another 40 years before it happened. Fingers crossed that the atrium hotel gets built some day... that will be the last remaining piece of the Winnipeg Square puzzle.

So I guess that leaves Portage Place as the only undeveloped pad sites left downtown? Or am I missing any?
Not pad a but....The 416 Main Street site is the most glaring of parking lots...The former McIntyre bldg. spot.. It must get done sooner than later. A major eyesore especially to visitors and investors to our city. I do believe a major hotel or mixed use tower that includes a major upscale hotel would serve the area well and keep The Fairmont on its toes.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Apr 2, 2016 at 10:20 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:59 PM

^ I agree, 416 Main is the most glaring surface lot, but it's not a developed pad site the way that Winnipeg Square and Portage Place are

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
Whoah whoah. All this excitement over an article by...Gordan Sinclair? Where is Sinclair even getting his information? If his call went unreturned, how does he know any specifics about the project? And really, can any piece of journalism that includes the phrase "the convenience of shopping in Winnipeg Square" be trusted?

I haven't trusted a word Sinclair has written in 20 years. I'll reserve excitement until the shovels are in the ground. And even then I'll still have my doubts. The site has been held hostage for almost 40 years, and I have very little confidence that anything good will ever be done with it.

And how would this possible announcement effect the future plans for Portage and Main? Why do I think that Artis Reit would only move forward with their plan if the city guarantees that no pedestrian will cross Portage and Main for another generation?

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a wee bit skeptical about this project.
Ray Wan is the architect for both the re clad and the tower

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:29 PM

Quote:
^ I agree, 416 Main is the most glaring surface lot, but it's not a developed pad site the way that Winnipeg Square and Portage Place are
Speaking of Portage Place I was just there and some guy who appeared to be high fell down the escalators and knocked another down on his way down. Then there was a guy passed out on the floor with fire fighters around him at the exit from the food court. Such a lovely place that has turned into.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan