HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:06 AM
Back from the dead

If this is all true then it's pretty much a sure thing because as apartments for rent there's no waiting for enough buyers before construction can launch. On the other hand, it's Gordon Sinclair Jr. reporting this which makes me question it to some degree. I'm not calling his journalistic integrity into question here, I'm just wondering why he's got the scoop on this as opposed to Kives.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:13 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

o yea the investment funds are starting to spend their money

as for portage place ect thats port management straight up

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:49 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
o yea the investment funds are starting to spend their money

as for portage place ect thats port management straight up
Translation please, Adrian.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Translation please, Adrian.
Seemed fairly clear:
"Oh yeah investment firms are starting to spend their money"
"As for apartments behind portage place, etc, that's just poor management"
Port was really the only confusing part...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
They also look at is the location transit friendly. With the the complex being bounded on 3 sides with major bus routes that will have an impact on the number of stalls required.

The city planners will take into account the stops at Fort and Garry on Portage Ave, the Main St stops along side, and the Graham Ave stops again at Fort and Garry.
There are no parking minimums in the downtown. That being said, no developer would build a downtown apartment/condo without parking.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:25 AM

Speaking of Portage and Main, when is that Richardson announcement coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Given that 360 Main has large floorplates and the south tower was supposed to be similar, I would imagine that the apartment building will be considerably skinnier in appearance? I hope that it at least looks substantial to match 360 Main as opposed to being a sliver of a building.

That gap at 201 Portage is really the last big gap at Portage and Main left, and who doesn't think it'll get developed now. Winnipeg Square seemed way more intractable and here it goes. I guess the hotel pad is still up for development, hopefully that won't take forever.

Speaking of Portage and Main, when is that Richardson announcement coming?
Funny you say that, There were a couple of times, mid - late 90's and also early 2000's that the Richardsons were considering another large tower on the far east site of Lombard Place. It was rumored to always have been their intent to have 2 skyscraper office towers. I believe it was to be somewhere between 25 - 30 + floors?
There were never any renderings.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:36 AM

Why is the proposed/ guessed height shrinking daily?
114 m = 376 feet.. Any more recent upscale residential building will have 9 foot ceilings and space between floors ... 9 ft x 40 floors alone is 360... then space between floors.. I am thinking more like 130 m - 140 m so...
approx. 426 - 459 feet seems logical to me?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:07 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
114 m = 376 feet.. Any more recent upscale residential building will have 9 foot ceilings and space between floors ... 9 ft x 40 floors alone is 360... then space between floors.. I am thinking more like 130 m - 140 m so...
Well, 55 Nassau is the city's fourth tallest building (well, it was. Not sure if it still is) and it's 38 or 39 floors.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The cynical side of me wonders about the timing of this. That pad was used as a shiny bauble to convince the city to agree to close the intersection for 40 years. 37 years later, the agreement is coming up for renewal. Is this the second verse, same as the first?
Do they actually need to convince anyone? My understanding is that they can just say no and that's it, it stays closed.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well, 55 Nassau is the city's fourth tallest building (well, it was. Not sure if it still is) and it's 38 or 39 floors.
Yeah, Emporis Data Base has it at 107.9 meters, 39 flrs...38 flrs should be the number. It's an old build though, 1970..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Floor-to-Floor? Had it listed at 134 meters initially, assuming 3.1 meters/floor. Est. Mech at 30 flrs, roof mech., lobby, etc..Changed it, aprx: lowballing to 9ft/flr-to-flr.. It's more common to estimate at between 9'.5" - 10ft these days, so it could be taller in the end, It's a Winnipeg reaction, When it's taller, we'll be much more excited in the end..

Our resident Architects and Engineers may have another number and explanation on the details of the build, slab thickness, Air conditioning and any additions to the roof, ie: Huge Pentice/Crown to be added..lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Artis REIT will unveil its plans for Winnipeg Square/360 Main St. on Thursday, April 7. That'd be the new tower & facade reno.

https://twitter.com/bkives/status/714901203935571970

Yay, only 1.5 weeks to wait!
Positive news, Barts backing Gordon on this one.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:48 PM
What could go wrong?

The reclad of 360 should start in April. The design of the apartment building is just entering the construction documents phase of design.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 3:58 PM

It's almost April! So construction documents, that must mean drawings are underway? That would lead to a possible late 2016 start on construction.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:18 PM

It will be interesting to see how they build on top of a building already in use. All three streets bordering it are busy.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:25 PM

Bus stops there are also very busy. This will be an interesting one.

I assume they can simply peel back the brown corrugated metal to expose the structure, ready to accept the new building. What to do with the mechanical for the food court will be another one. I assume switch to some form of other ventilation system, which exhausts through a grate in the side of the building. Right now they have roof mounted mechanical systems for the Sqaure.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:26 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
It will be interesting to see how they build on top of a building already in use. All three streets bordering it are busy.
This will be one of the easier projects. No soil samples to take. No drilling piles. No foundation work to do at all. Garry's not that busy along that particular stretch either. Main Street may be a pickle but I suspect that Graham will be avoided for the most part with most deliveries taking place along Garry or Main. I could be wrong of course. Overall, this is about as easy it gets.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
This will be one of the easier projects. No soil samples to take. No drilling piles. No foundation work to do at all. Garry's not that busy along that particular stretch either. Main Street may be a pickle but I suspect that Graham will be avoided for the most part with most deliveries taking place along Garry or Main. I could be wrong of course. Overall, this is about as easy it gets.
Artis was the benefit of some significant cost savings in terms of an existing foundation designed for a office tower on that pad site.

They did technically "pay" for it when they purchased the complex, but they certainly didn't pay extra for it.

Assuming they can simply "bolt" into the existing structure there, this is a huge cost savings. I can't say for sure how much, but I would think somewhere in the 20 to 25% range versus building from scratch.

All this does is lower the capital required by Artis to build this thing, and makes renting that much more attractive, given the subsidies available, plus the lowered debt required to pay off.

They maintain control and ownership, and in the future, can decide to convert to condos if the market dictates it - after the renters have paid off their debt.

It's really a wonder it took this long to do this - HELLO PORTAGE PLACE!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It's really a wonder it took this long to do this - HELLO PORTAGE PLACE!
I wonder if this might prompt Peterson Investment Group to do something about developing its pads at Portage Place? Then again, that might be a challenge given what's going on there... cheswick posted this yesterday afternoon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Speaking of Portage Place I was just there and some guy who appeared to be high fell down the escalators and knocked another down on his way down. Then there was a guy passed out on the floor with fire fighters around him at the exit from the food court. Such a lovely place that has turned into.
Then later in the afternoon the bomb squad had to show up to deal with some explosive device, then in the early evening there was an assault by the Portage Avenue doors which left someone in critical condition.

The marketability of those pads may be in doubt given the "action" which seems to be routinely taking place around there now.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 4:57 PM

Portage Place is such a disaster.. I've had similar experiences my journeys over there.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Portage Place is such a disaster.. I've had similar experiences my journeys over there.
I still patronize it myself and I actually don't mind going in there, but I've stopped defending it to others. When someone tells me they hate it and won't go there, I just shrug my shoulders now...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't you still need an engineering study to verify the pad is still is acceptable condition and then potentially incur higher costs in the design side as you work around fitting the building to the pad that was made of a different project?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan