HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:05 PM

Yeah, the product mix/pricing might not be right, but that is fairly easy to customize. Was more using it as an example of the style - a neighborhood focused shop that has a good mix of everything, and goes a bit beyond convenience store with some fresh produce, some takeout and a wine distribution license. Should be a market for that.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
So there are now 3 major downtown developments talking about some kind of grocery store? Obviously it would be unlikely to see a grocery store at True North, Skycity and 300 Main. Which development will be able to pull it off, I wonder?

Because 300 Main will be the first major residential building to rise, I wonder if this location is most likely? Portage and Main would be fairly handy to residents of the Exchange too, I would think.
My guess is that Artis stands the best chance because of of its location and existing infrastructure. TNS may have the graham bus lanes, but 300M has the stop on Main street, the graham mall also, and the stops on Fort Street as well as some degree of Portage. That is so much public transport...

However, a grocer may want prominence. Yes, both destinations are prestigious but 300 is on P+M and has the best visibility and also infinitely more vehicle traffic going by, not to mention a parkade 4x the size and everything else that's already there. Speculation is strongly reduced. TNS will be a destination, but it is tucked behind the main drags. But you can't miss 300M. Plus the established well-heeled work at P+M in the surrounding 4 towers, compared to TNS stg 1 and Hydro. However, TNS is more central to south of portage and the rest of downtown...but 300M is closer to the established neighbourhoods of the exchange district and waterfront area.

That and they'll have their residential tower copmlete first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
First grocery store to open is all we'll get, IMO. I'm still not convinced that a full-line, full-size supermarket is even viable yet. It worked at Eaton's and The Bay because they had the extra space in their own building... it becomes dicier once you factor leased space into the equation. And the downtown population, while substantial, is still pretty spread out... I doubt many of the people living behind Portage Place would be walking over to Winnipeg Square for groceries, for example.

I think something like the Carrefour City locations you see in some European cities is a more realistic model for downtown Winnipeg. A good selection of basic grocery items and convenience foods. Sort of like Family Foods on Donald but with some style.

Quote:
I'm not saying it necessarily has to be that brand, it's more the idea really. Basically a convenience store on steroids.
Maybe... but we don't have downtown density... A larger store can attract more people since it still is a destination. Since our downtown isn't dense, I'm not sure a resident at TNS would walk the skywalk to 300M for such a small store, or vice versa. They'd do it for a big player, though.

If our downtown increases its density strongly over the next 5-7 years, that would be an ideal player in the exchange, however.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:13 PM
BANNED

We have to keep in mind the profit margins, so smaller will no doubt be the way to go for now.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 4:40 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I think the operator would look at median income, and the median income of downtown is not so great, but who knows...
Yeah, I'm thinking they're aiming for the middle-class types. The young professionals who are in their late 20's, early 30's. In other words, the so-called "millenials" that many people are calling other people within that age bracket.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:35 PM

with Save on Foods delivering for $5, who needs a grocery store? Friend is a manager and the service is unbelievably popular. And YES, they give you the fresh fruit, veggies, etc. not the rotting stuff.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
with Save on Foods delivering for $5, who needs a grocery store? Friend is a manager and the service is unbelievably popular. And YES, they give you the fresh fruit, veggies, etc. not the rotting stuff.
Good point. My wife and her friends have been abuzz over Save-On's delivery service, and Superstore's is apparently quite good too. An improved delivery game among the grocers could make a downtown store irrelevant... the existing Family Foods, Giant Tiger and MLLC's thing at TNS might be sufficient in the end.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 7:34 PM

All I can think of with a huge grocery store at P&M is shopping carts clogging up the skywalk.

I'm in favour of the European urban model... I suppose the urban model in general. We're thinking like suburbanites here with big parking lots and massive grocery stores, oversize shopping carts. But that's not how other urban centres operate. Smaller shops, sometimes depending on the place, bakeries, butcher shops, produce shops, where you shop on the daily with one or 2 bags you can lug across downtown on foot. That's urban life. More grocery stores spread out to the many micro-hoods of downtown. More Family Foods, less Sobeys.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 8:25 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtWednesday View Post
All I can think of with a huge grocery store at P&M is shopping carts clogging up the skywalk.
I have seen setups where carts can't leave the store due to physical barriers. That would work.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 8:28 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I have seen setups where carts can't leave the store due to physical barriers. That would work.
Or the carts from No Frills that as soon as they cross over the perimeter line around the store and parking lots, the cart wheels are disabled.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Good point. My wife and her friends have been abuzz over Save-On's delivery service, and Superstore's is apparently quite good too. An improved delivery game among the grocers could make a downtown store irrelevant... the existing Family Foods, Giant Tiger and MLLC's thing at TNS might be sufficient in the end.
I use Save-On and Superstore's services. Both a great in their own ways - fresh produce etc, but there's something to be said about picking out your own apples, avocados or red peppers. Having said that, absolutely cannot beat the convenience of either service so I'm getting used letting someone else pick them out for me...

But as a resident of the East Exchange who does not own a car, I really really want the option of doing some European style shopping and picking up my own fresh stuff every few days right in the neighbourhood. Bring on fresh fruits, veggies, cheese and bakery goods!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 10:51 AM

Exchange could use an ABC store like we saw in Waikiki. T-shirts and touristy stuff up front along with booze and snack foods, small grocery in the back with fresh foods and deli plus prepared foods. That's a model that could work.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 4:49 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

300 main will have how many people livng above it and how many work there?

dont forget this would also service the exchange

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 5:48 AM

yee

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:43 PM

300 Main Population of Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post

With 400 units, half single occupancy the other half with 2 people would be 600.
Neighbouring SkyCity the same number of inhabitants.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post

Exactly.

Also factor in the relatively high desnity of medium/high earners in the towers.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:43 PM

Image taken this morning with Skycity billboard and melting dirty snow pile for dramatic effect.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:57 PM
BANNED

Nice, thanks. F*ckin SkyCity...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Nice, thanks. F*ckin SkyCity...
Have to love the added 50% sold decal on the sign for comic relief!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
Image taken this morning with Skycity billboard and melting dirty snow pile for dramatic effect.

lol perfect. absolutely perfect.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 8:13 PM

Is there any official timeline for when 300 main starts construction? I've only heard "spring 2017" floating around. Now that spring is here I'm wondering if the construction start been pushed back

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan