HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 7:30 PM

MTS just agreed to a deal with one of their unions that saw little to no concessions by the union and small increases over three years.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 2:59 PM

Competition Bureau has officially opened public comment on the BCE purchase of MTS.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/04077.html

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
2. It is doubtful the corporate security from MTS will be retained unless you are talking about staff that act as pseudo police to enforce physical security of MTS buildings.

Yes, I was interested in the suits and the ones no one notices. There could be some retention of staff for these positions, after all, they do know MTS intimately..

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 4:19 PM

The speculation is, no one wants labor strife during the sale process. Next contract expires in December and is the front line staff.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 7:25 PM

^ Sure, I can see that, I was involved in multiple labor disputes, contract negotiations and strike actions for privately held corporations as well as crown entities.(Both parties, management/union, solicited my neutral invlovement) It's never easy, with the acquisition taking place the fallout and casualties may be numerous. Front line staff are the ones usually hit hardest.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^ Sure, I can see that, I was involved in multiple labor disputes, contract negotiations and strike actions for privately held corporations as well as crown entities.(Both parties, management/union, solicited my neutral invlovement) It's never easy, with the acquisition taking place the fallout and casualties may be numerous. Front line staff are the ones usually hit hardest.
Yeah...it sounds like some TEAM members (the contract just agreed to) thought the company would drag it out so Bell took over without a deal. So there was surprise when the company suddenly gave in on most issues.

The front line staff union (Unifor) expires in December so the same fear is there. Hopefully the company offers the same deal...I suspect strongly it would be readily agreed to.

My understanding (Cyro, you'd probably know), an incoming company must honor current contract...correct? So those employees with an existing deal would be safe from wage reductions and other things spelled out in the collective agreement?

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post

My understanding (Cyro, you'd probably know), an incoming company must honor current contract...correct? So those employees with an existing deal would be safe from wage reductions and other things spelled out in the collective agreement?
It's legal and binding until it expires.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:44 PM

Just a heads up that I got a tip from someone that has filed comments on these type of deals before and it is looking like the Competition Bureau is wanting to quickly close the BCE purchase of MTS so get your comments in ASAP.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:51 PM

^ thx for the heads up, we'll watch this a little more closely now..

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:25 PM

^^ Competition Bureau is the first of the three reviews out the gate. It could the one with the strongest chance to impose conditions on the BCE purchase of MTS though.

The others will be Industry Canada, which will only be looking at wireless spectrum allocations and the CRTC which is unclear what exactly it will look at as both BCE and MTS would be in full CRTC compliance and nothing under the deal would change that in meaningful ways beyond the competition aspects, including the allocation of wireless spectrum.

In short, if you want to file a comment on the deal get it in to the Competition Bureau.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 6:45 PM

I have already been invited to fill in two online surveys about the impending merger.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:24 PM

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:36 PM

Rogers raised their most common plans by $5, which is the second time in 12 months they've done that. Prices are on the rise folks. Thanks to Cory for posting that on the Twitter.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/05/17/ro...ampaign=buffer

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 5:01 PM

Currently Rogers increases only apply to new users. The fall 2015 increase did not apply to existing Rogers customers with a ShareEverything plan doing a hardware upgrade and signing a new two year contract. It also did not apply to customers not making changes. That said the fall 2015 and spring 2016 changes are for "ShareEverything+" plans and future upgrades may require those plans.

It is also worth noting that prior to these changes Rogers had the same plans in MB and SK at the same costs. MB now costs $10 more than SK and the MB plans are nearly identical in features to the much more expensive national plans.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:25 AM

Yeah, nobody wants this.

Quote:
The only part of the survey that yielded a net positive result was in terms of the impact the deal would have on investment in communications infrastructure in the province.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...381499641.html

Last edited by OTA in Winnipeg; Jun 2, 2016 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Quote

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

bell will go buy up the wisps like they did in atlantic canada i bet

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 4:47 AM
Hmm....

I really do find some of the comments in the WFP article interesting... somehow some people who only have MTS as an option feel that Bell will be better for service and rates... if it were better, Bell, Telus, and Rogers would have already invested in infrastructure and charged lower rates, but for some reason they haven't... odd...

This really is making me think more and more that Manitoba and Saskatchewan are twins within Canada, though Manitoba has privatised more than Sask has over the last few decades, but nevertheless, food for thought for sure from our side of the border.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:57 PM

That public opinion poll frustrates me to no end as the respondents are heavily uniformed on the deal.

1. MTS has a higher rate of infrastructure investment (CapX) than Bell.
2. MTS can change their prices and data caps whenever they want.
3. The public opinion poll will have ZERO impact on the sale.

If you truly want to oppose the sale you need to get your comments it to the Competition Bureau about how the sale will move MB from having four wireless carriers, two with dominant market share (MTS and Rogers) and two with less than 10% share each (Telus and Bell) to having only three carriers with roughly equal market share. This is a clear reduction in competition. The other side of the deal the oppose is to get deep into federal telecom policy and how they have been taking direct steps to create allowances for a fourth national wireless carrier. The Bell deal as proposed runs counter to that policy and would effectively kill a fourth national wireless carrier.

But yes, the people mad that MTS doesn't have cheap fiber broadband and highly reliable LTE coverage at their remote, isolated cottage are going to influence the sale. You really want to see what the deal will be like for rural residents go to this link as a starting point: OpenMedia on Bowen Island broadband. Don't dismiss it as being Telus not Bell and being an island instead of the rural community but look at the similarities in their story to what is happening in Manitoba's rural communities.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
That public opinion poll frustrates me to no end as the respondents are heavily uniformed on the deal.

1. MTS has a higher rate of infrastructure investment (CapX) than Bell.
2. MTS can change their prices and data caps whenever they want.
3. The public opinion poll will have ZERO impact on the sale.

If you truly want to oppose the sale you need to get your comments it to the Competition Bureau about how the sale will move MB from having four wireless carriers, two with dominant market share (MTS and Rogers) and two with less than 10% share each (Telus and Bell) to having only three carriers with roughly equal market share. This is a clear reduction in competition. The other side of the deal the oppose is to get deep into federal telecom policy and how they have been taking direct steps to create allowances for a fourth national wireless carrier. The Bell deal as proposed runs counter to that policy and would effectively kill a fourth national wireless carrier.

But yes, the people mad that MTS doesn't have cheap fiber broadband and highly reliable LTE coverage at their remote, isolated cottage are going to influence the sale. You really want to see what the deal will be like for rural residents go to this link as a starting point: OpenMedia on Bowen Island broadband. Don't dismiss it as being Telus not Bell and being an island instead of the rural community but look at the similarities in their story to what is happening in Manitoba's rural communities.
Is there an actual effective way to contact the competition bureau?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
Is there an actual effective way to contact the competition bureau?
Work at Rogers, Bell, or Telus.

Ba-doom-pshh!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan