HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 12:29 PM

Winnipeg | Edgewood Estates | 50M | 15F | U/C

Edgewood Estates - North Kildonan - Residential

(North Tower ) U/C

MMP Team:

Principal Architect: Chris Daly
Project Architect and Contract Administration: Dustin Sharrow
Interior Designer: Rex Salanguit
Senior Technician: Michael Hamson
http://www.mmparchitects.com/news/?t...n+Construction

Akman Construction

http://akman.ca/underconstruction/edgewood-estates

Quote:
North Tower being phase 1 and South Tower being phase 2. The North tower (as seen in the photos below) will stand at 15 stories, and contain 224 residential units adjacent to the north end of the existing 70 Whellams Lane building. The South tower will stand at 15 stories and contain 180 residential units.

April 19, 2016

Image Source
http://www.mmparchitects.com/news/

Last edited by Cyro; May 17, 2016 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 12:35 PM

A few additional images from Akman:

Image Sources http://akman.ca/underconstruction/edgewood-estates

At least we have a record of the project, even though of not much interest to most posters..Any additional info/comments appreciated

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 1:46 PM

Nice pics.

It's weird to see phase II of a project under construction some 30 years or so after the first phase, but between this and 300 Main it's becoming a trend in Winnipeg

Old Posted May 12, 2016, 2:40 PM

^ A new tower, irregardless of the type and location every few months is nice..

I'm just trying to understand the explanation by MMP in the quote, It's confusing to a degree. This currrent build stands at 15 floors and is listed as the North tower? (phase I, the second is another at 15, and is listed as the South Tower? phase II?

60 Whellam lane, I believe is a 12 storey structure. Is this the final build on the Edgewood Estates site or is another planned?

Need to correct the OP.....Until it's clarified I'll go with the 1 current build U/C..

Last edited by Cyro; May 12, 2016 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
^ A new tower, irregardless of the type and location every few months is nice..

I'm just trying to understand the explanation by MMP in the quote, It's confusing to a degree. This currrent build stands at 15 floors and is listed as the North tower? (phase I, the second is another at 15, and is listed as the South Tower? phase II?

60 Whellam lane, I believe is a 12 storey structure. Is this the final build on the Edgewood Estates site or is another planned?

Need to correct the OP.....Until it's clarified I'll go with the 1 current build U/C..
Odd... the architect should communicate better... it's also North Kildonan, not East Kildonan. North Kildonanites (North Kildonans?) would be offended haha!

If there's a second phase, then maybe on the NORTH side of the Chief Peguis trail (currently used for storage... looks like a little more, however). Which would make the current building the south tower...

Either way, that would all be news to me. I only ever understood this as a single phase project. Do you have any renderings??

Additionally, Manshield won the bid for this actually... guess that is no more...

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Odd... the architect should communicate better... it's also North Kildonan, not East Kildonan. North Kildonanites (North Kildonans?) would be offended haha!

If there's a second phase, then maybe on the NORTH side of the Chief Peguis trail (currently used for storage... looks like a little more, however). Which would make the current building the south tower...

Either way, that would all be news to me. I only ever understood this as a single phase project. Do you have any renderings??

Additionally, Manshield won the bid for this actually... guess that is no more...
Won't be anything on the north side of Chief Peguis as that is a city of Winnipeg utility right of way. Both the N/E sewer interceptor and a couple of drinking water forcemains run under ground in the open area north of the road right of way

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Nice pics.

It's weird to see phase II of a project under construction some 30 years or so after the first phase, but between this and 300 Main it's becoming a trend in Winnipeg
That's shocking and unacceptable.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
it's also North Kildonan, not East Kildonan. North Kildonanites (North Kildonans?) would be offended haha!

Do you have any renderings??

yup lol..

no renders of the build I'm aware of probably not much differenece from 60-70 Whellam Lane..

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Ya, EK is scum compared to NK. Lol I live in EK FYI, and am kidding. EK is rather small compared to NK.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:58 PM

uh oh, changed the OP, on behalf of MMP's erroneous quote..lol..EK and NK are both beautiful in their own ways..

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 8:40 PM

And we have one 15 floor high rise in EK that went in with next to no opposition at the public hearings. the Kildonan Horizon seniors block on Watt at Munroe. All the shadow lines were falling on old City of East Kildonan public works yards that were taken over by Parks and Rec for equipment storage when the apartment went up

Unlike the 2 high rise apartments on McLeod @ Brazier that had hearings that went on for almost as long as the Edgewood ones before Edison Rentals was allowed to build them.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 12:06 AM

Can someone make a map of the Kildonans? Or at least a precise description?I've lived in Winnipeg for 28 years and I don't understand the boundaries (although I have never lived in the north half of the city).

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Can someone make a map of the Kildonans? Or at least a precise description?I've lived in Winnipeg for 28 years and I don't understand the boundaries (although I have never lived in the north half of the city).

The descriptions are based on pre-Unicity Winnipeg when the Kildonans were separate municipalities. Here's a map, ignore the red lines.

Source: City of Winnipeg Clerks

East, North and West Kildonan are still regularly used names, but I can't honestly say that I ever hear anyone refer to Old Kildonan anymore... it's been sort of forgotten and replaced with the names of subdivisions, the biggest and best-known being The Maples.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The descriptions are based on pre-Unicity Winnipeg when the Kildonans were separate municipalities. Here's a map, ignore the red lines.

Source: City of Winnipeg Clerks

East, North and West Kildonan are still regularly used names, but I can't honestly say that I ever hear anyone refer to Old Kildonan anymore... it's been sort of forgotten and replaced with the names of subdivisions, the biggest and best-known being The Maples.
And South Kildonan is Elmwwod or the North End? Thanks for the map. Does that boundary split the golf course? McLeod, Rothesay/Watt, Kimberley?

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
And South Kildonan is Elmwwod or the North End? Thanks for the map. Does that boundary split the golf course? McLeod, Rothesay/Watt, Kimberley?
There is no south kildonan. It used to be just kildonan. That split up into west and east kildonan (1914). West kildonan split into old kildonan (more rural at the time) and west kildonan which was moren urban/suburban(1921). East kildonan then split into north kildonan (really the north part of east kildonan) and east Kildonan (1924).

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:52 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
There is no south kildonan. It used to be just kildonan. That split up into west and east kildonan (1914). West kildonan split into old kildonan (more rural at the time) and west kildonan which was moren urban/suburban(1921). East kildonan then split into north kildonan (really the north part of east kildonan) and east Kildonan (1924).
The parishes that were on both sides of the river generally split apart municipally, as the western half of St. Vital was renamed "Fort Garry" around 1912 or so (residents voted on a name, I recall -- visitors would forever be confused about why there was not only an Upper Fort Garry and a Lower Fort Garry but also a municipality of Fort Garry that contained neither of them). That's why St. Vital Catholic Church is on Pembina Highway -- the boundaries of the actual parish didn't change for church purposes.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That's why St. Vital Catholic Church is on Pembina Highway -- the boundaries of the actual parish didn't change for church purposes.
But what about the Fort Garry Curling Club in St. Boniface??

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 3:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ya, EK is scum compared to NK. Lol I live in EK FYI, and am kidding. EK is rather small compared to NK.
Believe the old city boundry for EK-NK was Oakland Ave. to the north, I too live in EK not far from the NK border!

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 1:54 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I believe Elmwood was the only part of the old city of Winnipeg east of the river.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 2:01 PM

That map is pretty good. They boundaries have migrated many times over the years. North Kildonan on that map stretches to Plessis. It was subsequently changes to be Panet, and now is roughly Lagimodiere.

The north boundary is Oakland Ave, east of Raliegh. In then dips south to Concordia, but was also "100m north of Blantyre" (taken from an old description I read recently) which is somewhat random and must be a river lot line.

Lots of great info on Elmwood, Ek, and NK here:
http://www.mmcalumni.ca/v2/history.php

Current boundaries within the City are below and differ slightly from what is shown above. Valley Gardens neighbourhood is included in the Elmwood/EK electoral ward, when historically it is part of NK.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/council/wardmap/default.asp
http://now.winnipeg.ca/

I know we've been through this a few times in the past and there are some other maps around too. IIRC 1ajs had a google earth file of some sort.

This link is to a map of the original lots of EK and NK. Some of the old street names are cool. Sutherland extended across the Red. MacLeod instead of McLeod. Many others that were changes as part of the amalgamation. Also somewhat amusing to me are the random sections of land mixed in with the river lot system. Those sections are finally being zoned and subdivided as part of Devonshire Park, the next and largest phase of Transcona West.

http://www.mmcalumni.ca/v2/docs/ek/E...ots%201925.pdf

Last edited by bomberjet; May 18, 2016 at 2:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan