HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Regina Guys,

hows that Save on foods? im curious to hear your thoughts. seeing as us in saskatoon are getting 3 in the next 18 months. is it something to get super excited about ? to me its just another grocery store
It has some big pros, but also cons:

Pros:
- Much better fresh food section than most stores (with the exception of fruits/vegetables compared to Superstore). The prepared stuff is really great, especially the pre-marinated meats, sausages, fish, etc. Also really good samosas for like $2.50 each.
- Online delivery/pickup
- Definitely the best service

Cons:
- Regular items (canned, boxes, etc) are more expensive than most stores (maybe non-member Safeway options might rival them, I don't know). You can offset some of these prices with a Save-On card, but not all of them.

If you're looking for some nice pre-made meals or meats/sausages then it's a great place. For general big shopping trips, I'd stick to Superstore or Costco. But it serves a niche and for people who don't care about spending a bit more (there is a market like that) it works. I go for the fresh and pre-made stuff, but I wouldn't buy $300 worth of groceries there on a big trip.

Also their self-serve checkout is much better than other places.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post

Pros:
- Much better fresh food section than most stores (with the exception of fruits/vegetables compared to Superstore). The prepared stuff is really great, especially the pre-marinated meats, sausages, fish, etc. Also really good samosas for like $2.50 each.
- Online delivery/pickup

Cons:
- Regular items (canned, boxes, etc) are more expensive than most stores (maybe non-member Safeway options might rival them, I don't know). You can offset some of these prices with a Save-On card, but not all of them.

If you're looking for some nice pre-made meals or meats/sausages then it's a great place. For general big shopping trips, I'd stick to Superstore or Costco. But it serves a niche and for people who don't care about spending a bit more (there is a market like that) it works. I go for the fresh and pre-made stuff, but I wouldn't buy $300 worth of groceries there on a big trip.

Interesting, thanks, i can relay this to my saskatoon troops here. everyones curious, 3 save on popping up in 18 months should be interesting for saskatoon.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post

Pros:
- Online delivery/pickup

Cons:

Save on is nice but it still has not become my one-stop shopping place as they do not carry all brands and products that I am used to getting. Some prices are higher but some are lower - like anything you have to know the prices of things at various stores (if you care that udon noodles are .66 at extra foods and .99 at save on). Save on uses group pricing quite a bit - ie. buy 4 for the price of 3 sort of thing and in those cases the prices are typically better than extra foods. There are some meat cuts and products that you can get at Save on (stir fry cuts) that others like sobeys or extra do not have (or they pass stewing chunk cuts off as stir-fry). Save on has some decent steak cuts from the butcher section (ie. thick!!) but for flavour and aging they can not touch cathedral butcher boy. I have not checked out the prepared foods but will be looking the next time I go. At the end of the day, I still find I have to go to at least 3 different places (save on, extra, sobeys, asian grocery store on albert) to get all the food products I need over the course of a month.

Last edited by Treesplease; Aug 2, 2016 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:34 PM

i know shoppers drug mart was getting some pilot stores to do a expansion into fresh groceries ( produce,meat,deli etc ) and i know toronto had a few stores trying it out, and i heard regina was one of the cities to have a few pilot stores?

can any of you regina guys confirm on this? if it is true, how has it been ? or is it still up in the air type thing.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:42 PM

Quote:
i know shoppers drug mart was getting some pilot stores to do a expansion into fresh groceries ( produce,meat,deli etc ) and i know toronto had a few stores trying it out, and i heard regina was one of the cities to have a few pilot stores?

can any of you regina guys confirm on this? if it is true, how has it been ? or is it still up in the air type thing.
True - most (not sure if all) shoppers now carry a small selection of food products but to be honest I have just assumed the prices were high (haven't actually checked) and haven't bought anything beyond milk. It likely fills a need for locals that don't drive but beyond that.......

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:

Yes TO was the big city test market and Regina was the small City test market. Regina was no doubt selected because we have the massive Loblaw distribution Centre

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Yes TO was the big city test market and Regina was the small City test market. Regina was no doubt selected because we have the massive Loblaw distribution Centre
have you visited one of the pilot locations that carry the full service? mine beside my EF just has tiny amount of grocery, but thats it.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 6:52 PM

Quote:
have you visited one of the pilot locations that carry the full service? mine beside my EF just has tiny amount of grocery, but thats it.
Cornwall is small, but Northgate is bigger, although I do not recall much fresh stuff. Mostly prepared, packaged meat and basic fruits and veggies. Apparently they plan to stock fresh fish.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:

Most of the stores have a grocery section. I assume it's been successful. The store near me just renovated and kept the grocery section. I find the selection is hit and miss. I forget what I was looking for the other day but it was something I was surprised they didn't have. They seem to have a bit of prepared foods, a decent (not huge) selection of fruits and vegetables. You likely. Like the do your grocery shopping there unless you had a very limited diet but it works well for stocking up between trips to the grocery store. Having said that, there is an Independent Grocer in the same shopping centre. I have a feeling that there would be more focus on grocery if there weren't a much larger store 100 feet away. I think the 14th and Broad location has been quite popular and I believe their grocery section is a bit bigger. Which makes sense given the neighbourhood and lack of options near by unless you have $$ to spend for organic at Nature's Best.

It would've been nice to see Cornwall expand into the old medical clinic next door and have a large grocery section. Though I can see why that might not have been appealing for a pilot project.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 1:24 AM

Shoppers Drug Mart enters grocery wars, armed with fresh fruit and fish

From cbc.ca/news (July 31, 2016)

"The fresh additions began as a pilot project in a handful of Shoppers stores in 2014. The company recently remodelled several stores in downtown Toronto and now boasts 29 locations serving perishable goods — 19 in Toronto, eight in Regina and two in Hamilton."

Here is the full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shop...mart-1.3700945

Personally, I check all of the grocery store flyers to see who has the best weekly deals for the majority of my needs. Shoppers does have some good weekly deals.

The Broad & 14th store has scaled back their grocery section a bit since the pilot was created, as they initially had no idea what would sell and what wouldn't. Now, after a period of time, it is clear what their customers want. It really is about convenience, especially in neighbourhoods without a major grocery store within reasonable walking distance.

Selection may be limited and can be a bit pricey, but this is the price we pay for convenience. Ever find reasonable grocery items in a 7-11 or Macs?

As a side note, Galen Weston flew to Regina in his private jet late last year to see a few of these stores and to talk with the owners.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
From cbc.ca/news (July 31, 2016)

"The fresh additions began as a pilot project in a handful of Shoppers stores in 2014. The company recently remodelled several stores in downtown Toronto and now boasts 29 locations serving perishable goods — 19 in Toronto, eight in Regina and two in Hamilton."

Here is the full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shop...mart-1.3700945

Personally, I check all of the grocery store flyers to see who has the best weekly deals for the majority of my needs. Shoppers does have some good weekly deals.

The Broad & 14th store has scaled back their grocery section a bit since the pilot was created, as they initially had no idea what would sell and what wouldn't. Now, after a period of time, it is clear what their customers want. It really is about convenience, especially in neighbourhoods without a major grocery store within reasonable walking distance.

Selection may be limited and can be a bit pricey, but this is the price we pay for convenience. Ever find reasonable grocery items in a 7-11 or Macs?

As a side note, Galen Weston flew to Regina in his private jet late last year to see a few of these stores and to talk with the owners.
thanks for this. now it gives me a little more info on my EF/shoppers location here in saskatoon. makes sense for me to close and have shoppers converted into the full service grocery.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 5:15 PM

Quote:
thanks for this. now it gives me a little more info on my EF/shoppers location here in saskatoon. makes sense for me to close and have shoppers converted into the full service grocery.
South Albert & Vic Square both have decent grocery sections - including fresh produce. Produce typically looks good - not seeing items that look "off."

My dad shops at the Vic Square one quite a bit - he seems finds the prices to be in-line with other Loblaws stores. Good for those mid-week shopping trips most people do (for a handful of smaller items, not a full shopping trip).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
South Albert & Vic Square both have decent grocery sections - including fresh produce. Produce typically looks good - not seeing items that look "off."

My dad shops at the Vic Square one quite a bit - he seems finds the prices to be in-line with other Loblaws stores. Good for those mid-week shopping trips most people do (for a handful of smaller items, not a full shopping trip).
i think itll be a great fit for those shoppers that are tucked into those neighborhoods. just something nice and easy for the folks to come and grab something. i just find theres too many big stores around, especially building out in the burbs. itll be nice if most if not all shoppers will be converted to these full service grocers. itll help the inner city alot.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 3:59 AM

New Design Studio

Dean Renwick Design Studio will be expanding to include a boutique that will feature Dean Renwick's designs along with select Canadian designers. The boutique will soon open in downtown Regina.

This is going in the main floor of the parking lot structure on Rose street, which has been vacant for a long time, so good news.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udon'tknow View Post
Dean Renwick Design Studio will be expanding to include a boutique that will feature Dean Renwick's designs along with select Canadian designers. The boutique will soon open in downtown Regina.

This is going in the main floor of the parking lot structure on Rose street, which has been vacant for a long time, so good news.

So awesome! Great for him and great for the downtown (not to mention much needed for that parkade!) Whoop!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 2:34 PM

That is great for Renwick. That parkade now has VIP, Deluxe Tailors and Renwick. This is what we want on the street level of our downtown parkades!

Let's hope the Shoppes on Hamilton around the corner start filling up.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 1:49 PM

I saw that H&M was hiring in Regina a little while back, now I don't seem to see it on their site anymore. Did anyone else notice this?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:29 PM

Could be they were looking for management staff for H&M. The other thing I have seen happen in Winnipeg is you get advance job postings like that and then the planning for a location falls through and the jobs never actually get staffed.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Could be they were looking for management staff for H&M. The other thing I have seen happen in Winnipeg is you get advance job postings like that and then the planning for a location falls through and the jobs never actually get staffed.
I am thinking one of those is likely the case.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 8:13 PM

Chatters is moving to the main floor of the Cornwall across from American Eagle. This will leave Tim Hortons as the only remanining tenant occupying space in that entire South-East corner of the mall which previously had Smitty's and Havik. Anyone heard anything concrete yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan