HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I'd always thought that Loblaws was keeping the EF in Canarama simply to keep the other grocery chains out of there. I don't really see that the switch to Sobey's from Safeway in Lawson would impact that. If Loblaws was to leave Canarama, I could certainly see Co-op looking at that space, as they don't have any grocery stores near there.

Agreed that the Canarama EF is pretty tired. It wouldn't shock me to see a new tenant simply knock it down and build new to suit their prototype layout if they were to take over that space.
loblaws also owns shoppers drug marts also. so hence this big ??? , for both of us tenants here. i agree with you, this location is one of the best for traffic wise. but with us owning shoppers too and how theyre going to a full service grocer, i dont see loblaws having 2 tenants here, we as an EF rent our spot which the overhead is stupid over the top insane in fees, but im not sure if shoppers actually OWNS that spot. i think i heard that they do.

i also agree with another tenant knocking this down too, we need a whole new roof just to put that out there, and thats 1.5mill. if my EF was to convert to a no frills, michaels independent would be out of business ( were good friends and he knows NF would kill him ) so they wouldnt have converted michaels to a independent if they were going to do something with my building. this is just my opinion. and my sales have dipped -45-50% last few weeks...and no idea why. all of us are just holding our breaths at the store right now. but i hate to say it, in my mind and for good business, convert shoppers, and close me. theyll save a wack of 6-figure dollars.

thoughts?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 1:31 PM

Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
From cbc.ca/news (July 31, 2016)

"The fresh additions began as a pilot project in a handful of Shoppers stores in 2014. The company recently remodelled several stores in downtown Toronto and now boasts 29 locations serving perishable goods — 19 in Toronto, eight in Regina and two in Hamilton."

Here is the full article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/shop...mart-1.3700945

Personally, I check all of the grocery store flyers to see who has the best weekly deals for the majority of my needs. Shoppers does have some good weekly deals.

The Broad & 14th store has scaled back their grocery section a bit since the pilot was created, as they initially had no idea what would sell and what wouldn't. Now, after a period of time, it is clear what their customers want. It really is about convenience, especially in neighbourhoods without a major grocery store within reasonable walking distance.

Selection may be limited and can be a bit pricey, but this is the price we pay for convenience. Ever find reasonable grocery items in a 7-11 or Macs?

As a side note, Galen Weston flew to Regina in his private jet late last year to see a few of these stores and to talk with the owners.

----- posted by a regina guy in their retail section-------

this makes it a bit more clear to me in my mind on my location with the shoppers. it would make much more sense , even as a business move to close me, and have the shoppers expand into a full grocery/deli/produce etc... seeing as this North park/river heights needs a store like that. and as loblaws owns shoppers now too. again, im just wondering since EF rents this spot, does shoppers OWN theirs. thats what ive been hearing.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
this makes it a bit more clear to me in my mind on my location with the shoppers. it would make much more sense , even as a business move to close me, and have the shoppers expand into a full grocery/deli/produce etc... seeing as this North park/river heights needs a store like that. and as loblaws owns shoppers now too. again, im just wondering since EF rents this spot, does shoppers OWN theirs. thats what ive been hearing.
Unless things have changed since it was built, Shoppers is still just a tenant in Canarama Mall. Their shell space was built for the landlord and Shoppers contracted the TIs separately. But that was many years ago now.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
not too sure, i think that would be a good idea...but just as of how? maybe going south a bit and connecting to the bakery and adding 2 aisles. loblaws owns that building, and theres an empty salon underneath ( for those who remember ) but who knows. that store does REAL REAL well for profit and business. its #1 in canada for sales per sq ft. . a no frills was an idea...but the clientele for that store wouldnt buy the NF type market. broadway has a wierd demographic. so thats why i think once that store does go...itll be a "first" of its kind in the city.

as for taylor st. thats a well established market. and ive made tons of profit managing that few years back as an EF. so imagine a NF...$$$$$$.
Didn't Periwinkle Quilting (or whatever it is called) just move into that building between the grocery store and Nutana Bakery, a few months back( maybe longer)?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:20 PM

Just curious if anyone here has heard what is happening on the corner of Broadway and Main St.
I think all of the businesses from and including the bank on the corner all the way down to the pharmacy have closed or moved. Seems a bit coincidental that they would are close down at the same time.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontone View Post
Just curious if anyone here has heard what is happening on the corner of Broadway and Main St.
I think all of the businesses from and including the bank on the corner all the way down to the pharmacy have closed or moved. Seems a bit coincidental that they would are close down at the same time.
i was aware the RBC shut down ...but yes coincidental for all to be gone

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 1:33 PM

here's one new restaurant in a competition for best new restaurant

http://thestarphoenix.com/business/3...urants-contest

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
here's one new restaurant in a competition for best new restaurant

http://thestarphoenix.com/business/3...urants-contest
I had one of best restaurant experiences ever in Saskatchewan at Little Grouse. I wish them well.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I had one of best restaurant experiences ever in Saskatchewan at Little Grouse. I wish them well.
My wife and I celebrated our anniversary at Little Grouse a few weeks ago.

Exceptional.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 5:36 PM

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/about_ikea...canada_halifax

If Halifax can land an IKEA, I wonder if Saskatchewan's largest city may also be on IKEA's radar.

Halifax CMA pop. (2015): 417,800

Saskatoon CMA pop. (2015): 305,000

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 6:40 AM

IKEA announced plans for significantly more Canadian stores a couple months ago, did they not? It'd be hard to expand in Canada while ignoring Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 2:25 PM

Keep in mind, though, that in addition to having a CMA 37% larger than Saskatoon, Halifax's closest IKEA is in Boucherville, QC. That's over 1100km from Halifax, whereas we have IKEA stores surrounding Sask in Winnipeg, Calgary & Edmonton.

As much as we'd all like to see an IKEA here, it all comes down to whether or not IKEA thinks it makes economic sense to build here. I think they'll have a pretty good handle on that.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 8:15 PM

Ikea opens 'collection point' in Saskatoon

Saskatoon StarPhoenix
September 6, 2016

Buying furniture from Ikea is getting more convenient for residents in and around Saskatoon.

The company confirmed Tuesday that it has opened a ‘collection point’ in the city, a facility that will allow customers to pick up products ordered online for a flat fee of $79.

“In such a large country, it is important to offer a variety of solutions we can use to penetrate markets in relevant and economical ways,” Ikea Canada acting president David McCabe said in a statement.

“Saskatoon is a natural next step in our plan to grow the Ikea brand in Canada.”

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...t-in-saskatoon

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:07 PM

Mastermind Toys is having a Grand Opening Party at its new Preston Crossing location from Sept 22 - 25.

It is the first Mastermind Toys store in Saskatchewan.

http://www.mastermindtoys.com/Help.a...ns+(New+Stores)

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:18 PM

According to this recent Saskatoon Express article, Motion Fitness is going to be opening a 22,000 square foot facility in the former Zellers space at Market Mall.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 4:48 PM

There were previous rumours of a Motion Fitness opening in the Scotia Centre - is there any truth to that? A gym in the central downtown would do well, I would think. Especially if they focus on attracting the right before work, lunch hour, and right after work workout crowd.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
There were previous rumours of a Motion Fitness opening in the Scotia Centre - is there any truth to that? A gym in the central downtown would do well, I would think. Especially if they focus on attracting the right before work, lunch hour, and right after work workout crowd.
There is the YMCA, though it would probably be best described as being on the fringe of downtown. I know that it's an issue of time, but there is something ironic in people saying "that gym is too far away for me to walk to".

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 4:00 PM

And don't forget, there is Freedom Functional Fitness on 20th and Idylwyld just a few more calories away.

Last edited by Toontone; Sep 18, 2016 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 11:44 PM

A new video showcasing "the evolving food and drink scene" in Saskatoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW4Vxcat2RE

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 6:55 PM

Second Costco nearing completion in Saskatoon

By Meaghan Craig, Global News Saskatoon
September 23, 2016

It’s Saskatoon’s best kept secret but Costco has finally spilled the beans.

Officials with the American membership-only warehouse club have confirmed that its second location in the city’s southeast corner will open in November.

[........]

Read more:
http://globalnews.ca/news/2960111/se...-in-saskatoon/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan