HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:20 AM

Can I build a temporary house and later convert it into an accessory structure?

My wife and I will immigrate to Canada in a few months and we would love to buy a lakefront lot in Manitoba (on lake Winnipeg or lake Manitoba) and build a house.

We are newbies and know very little about Canadian building regulations. I spent quite a few hours surfing the Internet, trying to find an answer to what bothers me, but wasn't successful. Please, help me, if you can.

We want to do what I describe below, and I would want to ask your opinions on whether it is 100% legal and whether it will fly with building permit authorities.

We plan to get a building permit for a VERY BASIC 800 sqf house (or whatever the legal minimum in this particular RM), which would be just a little bit more than a shed (thin walls, one shower, one sink, no proper HVAC, etc). We will then build this house very cheaply and will live in this house for a few years. I understand we will need to heat it heavily during winters, but that's ok. In 2-4 years we will save enough money to build a proper house and then we will simultaneously apply for a permit to convert the existing basic house into an accessory structure (into a shed which per se it was from the very beginning) and for a permit to build a proper house. Is such an approach going to work? Let's assume that the lot will not be allowed to accomodate two living structures. It is important that I do not want to try to bend any rules and I want to be honest with with the authorities from the beginning. We will go ahead with the plan only if I am convinced that it is 100% clean from the authorities viewpoint.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:23 AM
BANNED

Well an early welcome to Manitoba! Where will you be moving here from?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

id say ur better off picking up a mobile home and puting it on ur lot till ur ready to build

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:40 AM

Thanks! We are moving from Russia.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:41 AM

You mean a trailer?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:43 AM
BANNED

Awesome. You will find plenty of Ukrainians and Ukrainian influence in Manitoba. Not exactly the same as Russian (myself I am Ukrainian), but may help you adjust.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:53 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_g View Post
You mean a trailer?
mobile home

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_g View Post
You mean a trailer?
You could look for something like this:
http://www.atcosl.com/en-ca/Products...odular-Offices
or this
https://www.bigsteelboxstructures.co...lar-buildings/

These types of building are used extensively in logging campus, mining camps or construction camps. You may be able to get something cheap that was used and is now surplus.

Modular homes are similar expect intended to be homes, so they look nicer and closer in look to a proper home instead of a big box.
This is an example: http://www.dufferinhomes.ca/

For the previous examples, they need to be moved into place on the back of a truck but once in place don't move very much. Used ones can be quit affordable.

Lastly there are campers or mobile homes. That have wheels are used for vacation and travel.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:40 PM

Alex, you need to get a copy of the RM's zoning bylaw (it may be online, but if you call they will send it to you) and study the relevant portions carefully. You should also call the administrator or development officer, if they have one, to discuss. What you describe sounds possible in principle, but they could have particular requirements. They will also be suspicious about your intention to convert the original place to an accessory use. They may think you are planning a second dwelling or guesthouse which is often prohibited.

Also most recreational zones (on lakes) in RM's have severe restrictions on trailers and mobile homes.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:47 PM

My understanding is all new builds require minimum insulation levels, electrical, heating, etc. It can make it very expensive is a hurry. In terms of sizing you could likely get a fair bit smaller than 800 sq ft for a husband and wife in a minimal building but would need to check on the minimum size allowed.

Depending on where you are planning to build you might be better of searching for a property with a minimal acceptable building to start. At least on Lake Winnipeg most of the lake front is fairly developed a good distance to the north. If you would be okay being more away from the water by a mile or so you get out of the recreational area and the land prices take a good drop. What you save on the land cost on the front end would help lower your total residency cost. You could then build your minimal acceptable dwelling, live there while saving additional funds and establishing yourselves in the community.

Something to keep in mind is not just where you are going to live but how you will support yourself while living there. Rural areas can be more challenging to find employment.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 7:26 PM

As someone else mentioned contact the local RM and they can tell you if what you are thinking of doing is allowed.

If I were you I would get a mobile home or trailer as you can sell it when your home is complete. Probably would be cheaper (and more comfortable).

I live in SK and had a friend build a house over 2 years while living in his trailer in the back yard. Him and his wife did stay in a friends basement during both winters though.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 9:08 PM

Hey Alex, Welcome!

There are lakefront lots available, both expensive and cheap. But may not be located close to any sort of stores or towns.

Anyways, sounds awesome. Mobile home (trailer) may be the best bet for cheap and comfortable. As others have said, the RM will have minimum codes you must meet for residential occupancy. They may also let you set-up a camping type trailer for a period of time. Some lots have restrictions on time, some do not. Depends on where its located. You can get some pretty comfy camping trailers, hard top and sides, with fridge stove heater washroom/shower. Everything. Pretty cheap too if you get a used one.

Best bet is to follow up with the RM and find out what the codes are. Likely they'll say meet the building code of Canada. But may be able to provide more information on setting up a trailer on the site. Also ensure you'll have electrical service for heat. Depending on where your lot is, you'll likely have some sort of septic tank or field to maintain. May have town water and sewer if you're lucky.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Depending on where your lot is, you'll likely have some sort of septic tank or field to maintain. May have town water and sewer if you're lucky.
Pretty sure if you are lake front unless you are a common sewer of some type a holding (septic) tank is going to be your only option. This means regular visits to have it professionally pumped out and hauled away. Definitely something to keep in mind in terms of your cost of living. It might be worth looking into a grey water management/recovery system for the place to reduce the amount of water going into the septic tank. Yes, it will cost more on the long term but you could recover it over time.

Along those same lines Manitoba Hydro has a subsidy plan for solar panels. You still end up out of pocket but if you are building new and design with low energy use/natural light optimization, etc in mind you could end up saving long term on your electrical usage bill.

One final additional thought for now, most of the lakefront type of properties are far enough off the grid that what would be considered "basic internet access" isn't available there. Not sure if that is a concern for you but worth considering and making plans accordingly.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 11:50 PM

Welcome to the forum alex_g. Good luck with the project.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 12:17 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Along those same lines Manitoba Hydro has a subsidy plan for solar panels. You still end up out of pocket but if you are building new and design with low energy use/natural light optimization, etc in mind you could end up saving long term on your electrical usage bill.
It is only possible to power a home using solar power in the summer. During the other three seasons connection to the grid or generator power is required.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:19 PM

Ya, you're right Cory. On the lake you need a tank for the toilet water. Does grey water require treatment? I think it can be dumped right to the ground, no?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It is only possible to power a home using solar power in the summer. During the other three seasons connection to the grid or generator power is required.
That's not actually true. Cold weather doesn't affect solar panel output negatively. The total production is reduced in the winter because of fewer hours of daylight, but overcast days will have a greater impact than shorter, but sunny, days.

EDIT: That being said, unless you can either up-regulate or down-regulate your power usage drastically, you'll always need a grid connection or generator. A string of cloudy days will have you hooped, otherwise.

Last edited by TimeFadesAway; Feb 15, 2017 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:01 PM

I would think it's the reduced angle sunlight takes to reach the panel during the winter months, when the earth tilts to the north. Produces less electricity. And shorter days, with increased usage due to cold. More so than the cold affecting the panel itself. But I'm no expert on solar panel efficiency.

For example, solar powered rovers on Mars need to shutdown during the winter months due to lack of power. Rovers at high latitudes. Angle of the sun produces enough power to maintain basic systems.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Ya, you're right Cory. On the lake you need a tank for the toilet water. Does grey water require treatment? I think it can be dumped right to the ground, no?
Legally no, at least in SK. Grey water has a lot of phosphates which are really bad for lakes.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
I would think it's the reduced angle sunlight takes to reach the panel during the winter months, when the earth tilts to the north. Produces less electricity. And shorter days, with increased usage due to cold. More so than the cold affecting the panel itself. But I'm no expert on solar panel efficiency.

For example, solar powered rovers on Mars need to shutdown during the winter months due to lack of power. Rovers at high latitudes. Angle of the sun produces enough power to maintain basic systems.
Solar panels work just fine in the winter in Britain, which is , for the most part, north of us so subject to an even sharper angle. The shorter days themselves would have a significant impact, but you should get more output on a sunny winter 7.5 hour day than an overcast 12 hour summer day.

You're bang on about the usage issue, although that can be solved with capacity. But capacity costs money though I'm sure someone with an actuarial bent could find the right balance.

Remember, on Mars, clouds aren't a huge issue, so the rovers ability to power itself is almost completely based on the length of the day. Because of the size of the rover and the fact that it carries its own panels, there's only so much capacity that can be built into it before it can't actually rove anymore. On an acreage, it's not as big a deal. You've got lots of space, you're just limited by money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan