HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:11 AM
Cheers!

The Evergreen Line is being delayed... I'm guessing, due to economic and political instability factors. It just needs someone from the Feds to hand over a big check.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

As far as I know the Feds have agreed to throw money at it (this is on top of the initial contribution) , I believe the funding is now only $100M short of the $1.4Billion budget.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:30 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambaUp View Post
...expected to be completed by 2020....The Surrey expansion will likely leave from the King George Station, travel along 104th Avenue, down 152nd Street to Fraser Highway and terminate at 168th Street.
so its going to take 11 years to go 54 blocks? at an average of 5 blocks/year, i'm not sure thats a reasonable time table.

and why would a train leaving from King George loop back up to 104 Avenue? would it not make more sense to branch it off from Gateway along 108 Avenue to 152 Street?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:51 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
so its going to take 11 years to go 54 blocks? at an average of 5 blocks/year, i'm not sure thats a reasonable time table.
Ummm... this project isn't going to begin until at least the completion of the Evergreen Line, either during, before, or after the M-Line extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
and why would a train leaving from King George loop back up to 104 Avenue? would it not make more sense to branch it off from Gateway along 108 Avenue to 152 Street?
That was Falcon's plan apparently... but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 7:06 AM

You would think with material costs falling and labour costs possibly falling that 100 million shorfall should dry up fast. This is the time to build infastructure projects, lets get it started.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 7:28 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Cost are significantly stickier on the way down then they are on the way up. Labour isn't any cheaper, try and offer someone less money then they were making last year.
Commodities are starting to come down, but not much yet, there are still lots of projects being worked on that are enough to keep prices up. \

I won't be worried about the projects previous announced though, the feds will be helping out shortly.

*Go Harper Go*

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:15 AM
BANNED

The NDP was able to build the Expo line extension and the M Line as well, Plans were also there to build the E line ( and switches and the foundation for a third rail was also installed... dont believe me.... go there and look with your own eyes) the stations was specifically designed for the Eline extension... that project is ready to roll tmr and yet the govt is stalling... they would rather develop offshore oil or a massive methane drilling project near the Flathead valley,[off topic]. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for British Columbians... the 12 billion dollar plan(excluding the Canada Line because it is under construction) is just chum change as to what is needed in this province... we need over 500 busses TODAY... and the eline should have been done yesterday! Gordo would rather have a massive propoganda campaign to tell every british columbian of his transit plans... Prince Rupert or Fort Nelson or Cranbrook or Prince George do not care about what goes on in Surrey or Richmond and they do not want to see a massive ads telling them about the few things Gordo is actually doing in the past 8 years since forming Govt... moreover, Gordo wants to show that he is GREEN but he is not... here are a few facts that don't add up to a sustainable environment for BC:

[off topic]
* The day before that Campbell gave the go-ahead for coalbed methane extraction in Elk Valley, despite concerns from local residents
* And just a few days ago the Campbell government decided to plow ahead with highway construction on Delta farmland without waiting for the Agricultural Land Commission to make a ruling.
[off topic]
* Campbell has failed to keep his promise to invest in public transit -- Translink just reported they need another $150 million a year or they'll need to reduce services

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
As far as I know the Feds have agreed to throw money at it (this is on top of the initial contribution) , I believe the funding is now only $100M short of the $1.4Billion budget.
So that means...

EVERGREEN LINE: $1.4-BILLION
- Province: $410-million
- Translink: $400-million
- Federal Gov't: $437-million
- needed: $100-million

The reason why we named RAV the Canada Line was because of the federal government's $450-million funding for the project. I wonder if we'll have to rename the Evergreen Line now.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 8:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravman View Post
The NDP was able to build the Expo line extension and the M Line as well, Plans were also there to build the E line ( and switches and the foundation for a third rail was also installed... dont believe me.... go there and look with your own eyes) the stations was specifically designed for the Eline extension... that project is ready to roll tmr and yet the govt is stalling... they would rather develop offshore oil or a massive methane drilling project near the Flathead valley,[off topic]. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for British Columbians... the 12 billion dollar plan(excluding the Canada Line because it is under construction) is just chum change as to what is needed in this province... we need over 500 busses TODAY... and the eline should have been done yesterday! Gordo would rather have a massive propoganda campaign to tell every british columbian of his transit plans... Prince Rupert or Fort Nelson or Cranbrook or Prince George do not care about what goes on in Surrey or Richmond and they do not want to see a massive ads telling them about the few things Gordo is actually doing in the past 8 years since forming Govt... moreover, Gordo wants to show that he is GREEN but he is not... here are a few facts that don't add up to a sustainable environment for BC:

[off topic]
* The day before that Campbell gave the go-ahead for coalbed methane extraction in Elk Valley, despite concerns from local residents
* And just a few days ago the Campbell government decided to plow ahead with highway construction on Delta farmland without waiting for the Agricultural Land Commission to make a ruling.
[off topic]
* Campbell has failed to keep his promise to invest in public transit -- Translink just reported they need another $150 million a year or they'll need to reduce services
Pot, meet kettle.

Must every single post you make be a NDP advertisement?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 9:07 AM

to the two guys on the last page I have a geog test thurs too...lol

but this extention to guildford is needed. like others have stated im not too sure how it would swing up to 104th... perhaps they want to encircle whalley with skytrain?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 9:28 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo88 View Post
GO FALCO GO

(f1rst)
2econd!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 2:33 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Must every single post you make be a NDP advertisement?
It sure seems that way doesn't it?

The one thing that I absolutely can not stand about the current NDP is that their stance always has to completely oppose what the Liberals are doing. Campbell could say, "I love babies!" and James would immediately retort with, " I hate babies! More funding for public transit instead of Gateway! Olympics are stupid!"

I mean come on. A good idea is a good idea, no matter who the party is. The NDP will only be relevant with they start actually listening to what the people of BC want and need and start looking sane for once, rather than constantly aligning with the left wing nutbar special interest groups out there.

As for the announcement today, lets hope it is LRT for Surrey to Guildford, Newton and White Rock as well as out to UBC... and not skytrain.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:13 PM

I believe that part of the big announcement last January was extending the milenium line to UBC, so it has to be Skytrain

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:39 PM

Whatever style of system they choose to use, it really has to be grade-seperated. I spent a year in Cow-gary and thought the design of the C-Train was utterly stupid.

Rail-road crossings at every intersection, thereby stopping the flow of traffic and making everyone wait. So sure, you get people out of their cars, but you leave up just that much more congestion on the roads.

The good part about Skytrain is that running the trains has very little impact on the road traffic around them. That is a must for any new rapid transit system, in my opinion.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 3:54 PM
testify

Quote:
The announcements come as TransLink faces a cash crunch by 2011.
they also come with 4 ndp seats in surrey and five months until the election.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:29 PM
Traveller Extraodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHolmes View Post
Whatever style of system they choose to use, it really has to be grade-seperated. I spent a year in Cow-gary and thought the design of the C-Train was utterly stupid.

Rail-road crossings at every intersection, thereby stopping the flow of traffic and making everyone wait. So sure, you get people out of their cars, but you leave up just that much more congestion on the roads.

The good part about Skytrain is that running the trains has very little impact on the road traffic around them. That is a must for any new rapid transit system, in my opinion.
It is a plus, but much more expensive. I would prefer LRT because it would cover more area at the same cost, but at the same time I don't really car which way it goes, just as long as everyone has more options for transit. I wonder if this announcement has anything to do with the delay in the redevelopment of Guildford Mall. It should have been started already.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravman View Post
Plans were also there to build the E line ( and switches and the foundation for a third rail was also installed... dont believe me.... go there and look with your own eyes) the stations was specifically designed for the Eline extension... that project is ready to roll tmr and yet the govt is stalling...
Where is this exactly? At 104th? I've never seen such a thing.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesheh View Post
Where is this exactly? At 104th? I've never seen such a thing.
I think he means Evergreen Line when he says ELine (not Expo Line). i.e. @ Lougheed.
BTW - the Expo Line Surrey extensions (to Columbia, Scott Road and to King George were built under the Socreds, not the NDP) - it was Rita Johnson's riding - then BC's Minister of Highways and later first woman Premier.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:03 PM
David

add me to the list of people with a geography test today.. that is pretty bizarre.
eagerly waiting to find out how this extension is going to work. i can't even picture in my head how it could reasonably loop up to 104th without being a total mess

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:40 PM

Planning underway to extend SkyTrain to UBC and Expo Line into Surrey

Thursday, December 11 - 10:02:00 AM Erin Loxam

SURREY (NEWS1130) - The province has announced it's entering into a cost-sharing agreement with TransLink to work toward the extension of SkyTrain out to UBC and an expansion of the Expo Line into Surrey.

Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon made that announcement at the Gateway Station this morning. It's unknown when the expansion of transit in Surrey and the line to UBC will happen, or what either will look like.

Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon says that's the point of the 18-month planning and consultation process that is being funded 50/50 between the province and TransLink. "Most importantly, the $10 million will also include consultations with the public. We want to make sure that the public is involved and has some input into the types of technologies and the routing options that will be available."

The lines that are part of the province's $14 billion transit plan will involve extensions serving the 104th Avenue, Fraser and King George Highway corridors in Surrey, as well as the new line running from Commercial Drive to UBC. Falcon couldn't give a timeline as to when we might break ground on the projects or step onto a new train.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure